Cheap corn media

Reloading Equipment /Brass/etc - For Sale / Wanted / Barter / Trade...
Benjamin's Brass
Rookie Member
City: Spokane
State: Washington

Cheap corn media

Post by Benjamin's Brass » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:07 pm

Hello everyone, a farmer friend of mine ordered excess corn media for this season and was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying it. I'll run a bunch of tests to see if it's actually any good for tumbling, but if it works, it'd be about a dollar per pound. The cheapest I could find for not crappy media was about $1.67.
Let me know if anyone would be interested in this! Thanks!

offgrididaho
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Twin Lakes
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: ndm
Next Firearm: svd

Re: Cheap corn media

Post by offgrididaho » Thu May 02, 2024 4:16 pm

Make dang sure it doesnt get stuck in the primer holes! small pistol, L pistol, s rifle, L rifle, Magnums. If that stuff gets stuck in the holes its a nightmare to fix each piece of brass. You need to tumble the brass to find out.

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them!!
Next Firearm: Browning Hells Canyo

Post by Call Turner » Thu May 02, 2024 5:07 pm

I use stainless steel pins now and never have problems with flash holes. However when I did use the media I used to buy it at the gun shows case you could get about a pillowcase full for $8 it does do a nice job though like you say you just have to go through and pick the primer pockets.
" Having you around is like losing 2 good men."

Cat4119
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Plummer
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Rifle
Next Firearm: Ak

Post by Cat4119 » Thu May 02, 2024 6:31 pm

Just tumble it with the primers still in. Problem solved.

Benjamin's Brass
Rookie Member
City: Spokane
State: Washington

Post by Benjamin's Brass » Sun May 05, 2024 5:51 am

Hey everyone! I washed an extremely dirty batch of range brass and was pretty pleased with the results. (Not all of the casings came clean, but that's to be expected with corn. It was no better or worse than other corn medias.)
    It's more dusty than other corn media I've had in the past, but the second load through I just put in a cut up dryer sheet and it took care of it.
      I had a mixed batch of .45, .40, 7.62×39 & 51 and it did a pretty good job cleaning the inside of the cases. I washed them with the primers in so I cannot speak for the primer pockets/stuck media.
        I didn't notice really any difference between that and the blasting media I use other than the greater amount of dust. It's the same grit size as most media and it appears to be just as hard.
        If you want some it's $1 per pound, just kinda doing an experiment over here. I can sell you basically whatever quantity you want. Let me know your thoughts!
        -thanks