long gun concealed carry

Discuss legislation. gun control bills and local Law...
Forum rules
Please keep it civil...
mustangdan
City: Spokompton
Favorite Firearm: Sub 2000
Next Firearm: AA12

long gun concealed carry

Post by mustangdan » Thu May 24, 2012 8:29 pm

Does anyone know if it is legal to carry a Keltec sub 2000 loaded in a brief case or a backpack?

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: long gun concealed carry

Post by bladebum » Thu May 24, 2012 8:51 pm

Other than the restriction on carrying a loaded long gun in a vehicle, I can't find anything against it. Maybe a LEO on the site can chime in with an opinion. :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

svytlana
Serious Gun Trader

Post by svytlana » Thu May 24, 2012 9:17 pm

have had similar thoughts on stuff registered as an sow
Remember... Four boxes keep us
free: the soap box, the ballot box,
the jury box, and the cartridge box.

svytlana
Serious Gun Trader

Post by svytlana » Thu May 24, 2012 9:18 pm

edit: aow
Remember... Four boxes keep us
free: the soap box, the ballot box,
the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time

Post by Bob R » Thu May 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Glad you fixed that, I was wondering where you planned on hiding Rosie O'Donnell if she was with you! :) ;)

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Fri May 25, 2012 4:36 am

Bob R wrote:
Glad you fixed that, I was wondering where you planned on hiding Rosie O'Donnell if she was with you! :) ;)

bob
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

r3volv3r
Rookie Member
City: Spok
Favorite Firearm: Smith .41
Next Firearm: S&W

Post by r3volv3r » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:03 pm

bladebum wrote:Other than the restriction on carrying a loaded long gun in a vehicle, I can't find anything against it. Maybe a LEO on the site can chime in with an opinion. :)
Would the vehicle restriction apply if the gun is in the folded position?
I realize I am resurrecting a 2 year old thread, but I can't find any conclusive information online then I found this.

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:17 pm

r3volv3r wrote:
bladebum wrote:Other than the restriction on carrying a loaded long gun in a vehicle, I can't find anything against it. Maybe a LEO on the site can chime in with an opinion. :)
I realize I am resurrecting a 2 year old thread, but I can't find any conclusive information online then I found this.
If it's "loaded", it's a no go... :)

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:58 am

Well I cannot prove this as of this writting but I can say that in Wa state we now have a CPL instead of the previous CWP, or concealed weapons permit. As I was told by a lady who ran the records dept at the court house the change came about when a man wrote to the state to check on the legality of him carrying his properly registered short barrled dbl barrel 12ga as his concealed weapon of choice. This was reported to have caused great fear amongst the people who are tasked with overseeing such things and they set about changing the wording to apply to handguns only. That is what I was told. This would only apply to efforts to carry it on your person. State law already forbids carrying any loaded long arm in a vehicle.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

jc.knight
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: MINE
Next Firearm: Glock 30S

Post by jc.knight » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:13 am

But I want to carry a suppressed FN 90 PDW under my leather jacket while driving my taxi downtown. B-)
Strategic is when you get reports about fighting.
Operational is when you hear shots fired.
Tactical is when you’re taking fire!

r3volv3r
Rookie Member

Post by r3volv3r » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:35 pm

bladebum wrote:
r3volv3r wrote:
If it's "loaded", it's a no go... :)
It is essentially in 2 pieces, and cannot be loaded because the chamber of the gun is open and a round would just fall out.
I understand the long gun restriction, but folded it is basically like an AR upper and lower separated with a loaded magazine in the lower.
I guess as silly at it seems, a lower (unless registered as a pistol) with a loaded mag in a vehicle would probably be illegal?

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by scrappy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:50 pm

If you are in a car, in a seated position think about the impracticality of any long arm, let alone one that isnt functional. Get a Glock 22 and a cross draw holster so you can legaly have a functional weapon that is immediately accessable from a seated position. Desire is one thing, but you have to look at this stuff from a practical viewpoint.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

albin25
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Lewiston
State: Idaho
Favorite Firearm: Beretta Cheetah 86

Post by albin25 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:59 pm

get a Rossi Ranch Hand or Henry Mare's leg...they're pistols...just look like rifles.
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.

r3volv3r
Rookie Member

Post by r3volv3r » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:22 pm

This is certainly not a carry weapon, or a matter of self defense.
I am inquiring about the legality of having it as a truck gun, folded (inoperable) with a magazine in the grip.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by scrappy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:19 pm

r3volv3r wrote:This is certainly not a carry weapon, or a matter of self defense.
I am inquiring about the legality of having it as a truck gun, folded (inoperable) with a magazine in the grip.
This might help:

RCW 77.15.460
Loaded rifle or shotgun in vehicle — Unlawful use or possession — Unlawful use of a loaded firearm — Penalty.

*** CHANGE IN 2014 *** (SEE 6041-S.SL) ***

(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle, as defined in RCW 46.04.320, or upon an off-road vehicle, as defined in RCW 46.04.365, if:

(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle, or upon an off-road vehicle, except as allowed by department rule; and

(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.

(2) A person is guilty of unlawful use of a loaded firearm if:

(a) The person negligently discharges a firearm from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway; or

(b) The person discharges a firearm from within a moving motor vehicle or from upon a moving off-road vehicle.

(3) Unlawful possession of a loaded rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle or upon an off-road vehicle, and unlawful use of a loaded firearm are misdemeanors.

(4) This section does not apply if the person:

(a) Is a law enforcement officer who is authorized to carry a firearm and is on duty within the officer's respective jurisdiction;

(b) Possesses a disabled hunter's permit as provided by RCW 77.32.237 and complies with all rules of the department concerning hunting by persons with disabilities; or

(c) Discharges the rifle or shotgun from upon a nonmoving motor vehicle or a nonmoving off-road vehicle, as long as the engine is turned off and the motor vehicle or off-road vehicle is not parked on or beside the maintained portion of a public road, except as authorized by the commission by rule.

(5) For purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a rifle or shotgun shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the rifle or shotgun.

With no languge regarding an opened hinged action I would say the ruling language would have to be Sec 1 (b) where is talks about having a loaded magazine in the weapon.

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:58 pm

+1 Thanks scrappy... :)

r3volv3r
Rookie Member

Post by r3volv3r » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks Scrappy, BB, and everyone else for your help.
I was wondering if the fact that it was folded, being inoperable would put it more of a firearms parts category.
From what I have found in my research so far it is not worth the risk, but still haven't been able to find language that is really applicable to a folding/take-down type gun like or similar to this. Would a Ruger 10/22 takedown model broke down in 2 pieces in its bag but with a loaded magazine in the receiver fall under the same rules?

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Yes ^ If it's in the rifle (loaded mag), it is illegal. :)
(5) For purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a rifle or shotgun shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the rifle or shotgun.