Rally at the State Capital 12/13/14

Discuss legislation. gun control bills and local Law...
Forum rules
Please keep it civil...
BC38
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: The one I have on me
Next Firearm: We'll see

Re: Rally at the State Capital 12/13/14

Post by BC38 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:48 pm

bladebum wrote:
scrappy: wrote
Sorry B.B., I had to have one more opportunity to try to explain to our new friend that we are on the same side, and not the enemy.
Nothing to be sorry about. Civil discussions and opinions (even if they differ) are always welcome here. :)
Yeah, some people just aren't very good at expressing themselves without being abrasive. Others just assume they are the only one doing anything - and that their way is the only way - and anyone doing anything else are simply ineffective fools.

Bottom line, at the end of the day we're really all on the same side and ANYTHING that ANYBODY does to further the cause is a good thing. Those who aren't against us are for us!
Always looking for a deal on more ammo and reloading components.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

Orphan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: 338 Lapua
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Orphan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:27 pm

archon33 wrote:
Orphan wrote: Sure lets do nothing, we can wait something might happen, this rally could not be part of a larger plan and lord knows we better not spend any money on defending our rights we might need that money for going out to dinner. You are part of the problem IMHO.

Sir, I haven't been here very long and haven't written very many posts on this board, but you should read them.

I responded to your current post, I could not care less about your other posts.
Last edited by Orphan on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orphan
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Orphan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:57 pm

archon33 wrote:
BC38 wrote: . So what have you, scrappy or Orphan done other than being rally cheerleaders? Anything? As far as I'm concerned people either need to put up or shut up.

I'm done with this subject because I'm clearly talking with the wrong people.
Promises promises.

What else have I done, lets see I have forced the City of Spokane to change their firearms laws, I have helped forced the Spokane City Libraries to allow firearms, I have forced the City of Liberty Lake to change their firearms laws, I have organized several open carry events in the Spokane City Parks when it was unlawful and risked arrest doing so while others sat back and watched to see what would happen, I have been involved in organizing most of the 2A rallies in Olympia that happened over the last few years, I challenged the SPFD on their firearms rules, I have contributed financially to this site many times, you have not, I have paid for pro 2A gun show tables for years out of my pocket, I have manned those tables for entire weekends, I have spent my money on 2A hand outs, I have spent thousands of my dollars doing all of the above plus a lot lot more. I risked my personal freedom over and over again, have you? How much more should I put up, how more should I do to meet your requirements.

I answered your question now answer mine, what have you done Sir besides call me names and challenge me and several others???????????????????????????????????????????
Last edited by Orphan on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Masonryman
Senior Pro Gun Trader
City: Benewah Valley
Favorite Firearm: FiveseveN

Post by Masonryman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:03 pm

Comment's removed...

Orphan i apologize for the oversight, this one's on me not BB.

MM
You can ignore reality... but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Orphan
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Orphan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Masonryman wrote:Comment's removed...

Orphan i apologize for the oversight, this one's on me not BB.

MM
Not looking to blame just pointing out a perceived double standard, it all good with you and BB my friend.

archon33
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Drone-Swatter
Next Firearm: Marlin Camp 9

Post by archon33 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:53 pm

Ok, I've been called out. So let's put this to rest here.

It's great that Orhpan has all that money, time and energy to spend for the cause. Many, like me, don't. Not any more. So I do what I can. What I DON'T do is sit around on a computer all day constantly whining about which way the wind blows and dictating that everyone should blow the other way. I know for a fact that this Olympia rally won't have any significant impact. I'm old. I have over 40 years of participation in political activities of one sort or another, and I have NEVER attended or even heard of a rally that accomplished anything substantial. Not by itself. A rally is a success ONLY when the participants are representing a political force. A group of individuals with no formally defined agenda or affiliation is NOT a political force: it is a mob. Politicians love those kinds of demonstrations because it allows the participants to vent their frustrations and then go home feeling better, and generally behave themselves with little or no further disturbance. These people get their 15 minutes of fame then go home and pat themselves on the back. And that's exactly what happened with the anti-Feinstien rally. Not a political force, and if you had talked with the politicians afterwards they never mentioned the rallies having any influence on their decision.

But just a few individuals WITH a formally defined affiliation and purpose IS a political force. It is the power BEHIND the rally. And rally or not, such organizations are quickly recognized and given priority above masses of disorganized individuals for the simple reason that any politician can address all the members of the organization just by addressing the organization. This is not my opinion, it's Political Science 101, and anyone who has been in the game as long as, say, Orphan, should know that much by now.

Promises?

I really don't care for the attitudes on this board. Especially when someone tells me my facts about the law are wrong when they weren't, and then not only can't admit his mistake after proving I was right but defends himself with even more , I also don't like it when someone tells me I'm part of the problem (while incorrectly paraphrasing that I'm suggesting people should do nothing) just because I happened to propose a different way of fighting the anti-gunners based on what is clearly a different understanding of the political system. No questions were asked for clarification, or even a check of my previous posts to find out where I stand. Just snap judgement. That's called "prejudice". So I don't know where Orhpan is seeing this double-standard because all I see is my-way-or-the-highway attitudes. I can be civil in any discussion but not with people who can't exercise some basic human respect. So far that hasn't been the case which is why I said I was done with this topic, and I'm only writing this to set the record straight on where I'm coming from. So I'll walk away again. But if someone want's to misalign my character again then I will most certainly come back. Again.

Masonryman
Senior Pro Gun Trader

Post by Masonryman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:06 pm

archon33 wrote:Ok, I've been called out. So let's put this to rest here.

It's great that Orhpan has all that money, time and energy to spend for the cause. Many, like me, don't. Not any more. So I do what I can. What I DON'T do is sit around on a computer all day constantly whining about which way the wind blows and dictating that everyone should blow the other way. I know for a fact that this Olympia rally won't have any significant impact. I'm old. I have over 40 years of participation in political activities of one sort or another, and I have NEVER attended or even heard of a rally that accomplished anything substantial. Not by itself. A rally is a success ONLY when the participants are representing a political force. A group of individuals with no formally defined agenda or affiliation is NOT a political force: it is a mob. Politicians love those kinds of demonstrations because it allows the participants to vent their frustrations and then go home feeling better, and generally behave themselves with little or no further disturbance. These people get their 15 minutes of fame then go home and pat themselves on the back. And that's exactly what happened with the anti-Feinstien rally. Not a political force, and if you had talked with the politicians afterwards they never mentioned the rallies having any influence on their decision.

But just a few individuals WITH a formally defined affiliation and purpose IS a political force. It is the power BEHIND the rally. And rally or not, such organizations are quickly recognized and given priority above masses of disorganized individuals for the simple reason that any politician can address all the members of the organization just by addressing the organization. This is not my opinion, it's Political Science 101, and anyone who has been in the game as long as, say, Orphan, should know that much by now.

Promises?

I really don't care for the attitudes on this board. Especially when someone tells me my facts about the law are wrong when they weren't, and then not only can't admit his mistake after proving I was right but defends himself with even more , I also don't like it when someone tells me I'm part of the problem (while incorrectly paraphrasing that I'm suggesting people should do nothing) just because I happened to propose a different way of fighting the anti-gunners based on what is clearly a different understanding of the political system. No questions were asked for clarification, or even a check of my previous posts to find out where I stand. Just snap judgement. That's called "prejudice". So I don't know where Orhpan is seeing this double-standard because all I see is my-way-or-the-highway attitudes. I can be civil in any discussion but not with people who can't exercise some basic human respect. So far that hasn't been the case which is why I said I was done with this topic, and I'm only writing this to set the record straight on where I'm coming from. So I'll walk away again. But if someone want's to misalign my character again then I will most certainly come back. Again.

Mod edit, comment's removed.

Warning sent to archon33

MM
You can ignore reality... but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:35 am

archon33 wrote:Ok, I've been called out. So let's put this to rest here.

Promises?

I continually find it amazing that you, a newcomer to this site with your whole 20 posts or whatever it is now, feel free to come in here and chastise people you know nothing about because they aren't doing everything the way you say it should be done. Then again, how do you know they aren't, you don't know any of us at all. Interestingly you directly accuse us of doing exactly that which you yourself are doing. You tell us your ideas, and it is apparent that many of us have expressed the same ideas, and yet you say we have thought of nothing and said we have poo poo'ed your ideas when no one has done any such thing. Then you criticize us for not doing it the way you prescribe. Is that not what you just said we were doing?
One of us did post a huge resume of his political activities, which exceed those of 98% of most gun owners, myself included, then you seemingly act envious that he has had the finances to carry out these things where you yourself admit you don't. The implication is that somehow its not fair. Then you make the categorical statement that no one planning to attend the Olympia rally constitutes an organized political force. How do you know this when you proudly say that you have never attended such an event? You have no idea who attends these things. I have been to several and I can assure you that there are a number of very organized groups involved, quite likely groups far larger than yours. That is in no way to belittle your organization, rather to point out that you and your organization are FAR from the only organized group fighting the fight.
You, sir, do not know any of us here well enough to rebuke us in the manner you have seen fit to do. I am not sure what your problem is, but I am pretty certain that none of us here caused it, so kindly refrain from jumping on us any further. None of us deserve it.

Mods, if you feel you need to remove this post I will understand. I tried hard not to be rude, though I am trying to be truthful and sometimes the two are easily mistaken. I am done putting up with getting yelled at by a newbie who has no clue what he is saying. He means well, but his manner is rude and abrasive and I do not care to put up with any more of it. I said once I was done with this person, and then I felt compelled to clarify some points, but now I an honestly say that I am done with responding to him. Sorry to have troubled you.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:02 am

Sometimes the "Foe" list works well to reduce frustrations... ;)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Masonryman
Senior Pro Gun Trader

Post by Masonryman » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:40 am

archon33 has left the building.. :|

MM

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:17 am

Masonryman wrote:archon33 has left the building.. :|
MM
And so it goes with Trolls... Our online community is better off without them. Thank you Masonryman for standing guard and taking the heat! :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by scrappy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:34 am

Thank you MM!

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

Orphan
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Orphan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:01 pm

Bladebum is correct SGT is better off without this guy. I want to thank both Bladebum and Masoneryman for keeping SGT a class act. I have to admit I had to retype a few responses because I was getting out of line. After thinking about why I did retype those responses I came to the conclusion I did so because of the leadership and examples set daily by Bladebum, Masoneryman and the other leaders of SGT. Thank you for keeping me straight and this site civil it is appreciated more than you know.

I will add that I talked to several legislators after each of the rallies we have had over the years and each one of them told me that having 20 anti gun folks show up at a rally and 2000 of us show up at a pro gun rally makes a difference on how they vote. I was told that the vote would have turned out different in 2012 if we had not had 2000 to 3000 people show up at the capitol. These rallies do work and they do have a positive effect. Hand written letters to your representatives sent in the mail are the most effective please take the time to write one it only costs a sheet of paper and envelope a stamp and 10 minutes and anyone can do it. 10,000 letters can change the tide on almost any subject.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by scrappy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Orphan you are again correct. I have always understood that the attention a representative pays to a communication with us is directly proportional to the amount of personal effort it took to generate.

1: personal meeting.

2: hand written letter or personal visit to a local office

3: phone call

4: email

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: The one I have on me
Next Firearm: We'll see

Post by BC38 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Orphan wrote:Bladebum is correct SGT is better off without this guy. I want to thank both Bladebum and Masoneryman for keeping SGT a class act. I have to admit I had to retype a few responses because I was getting out of line. After thinking about why I did retype those responses I came to the conclusion I did so because of the leadership and examples set daily by Bladebum, Masoneryman and the other leaders of SGT. Thank you for keeping me straight and this site civil it is appreciated more than you know.
Very well stated. So much so that "ditto" is all I can add.
Orphan wrote:I will add that I talked to several legislators after each of the rallies we have had over the years and each one of them told me that having 20 anti gun folks show up at a rally and 2000 of us show up at a pro gun rally makes a difference on how they vote. I was told that the vote would have turned out different in 2012 if we had not had 2000 to 3000 people show up at the capitol. These rallies do work and they do have a positive effect. Hand written letters to your representatives sent in the mail are the most effective please take the time to write one it only costs a sheet of paper and envelope a stamp and 10 minutes and anyone can do it. 10,000 letters can change the tide on almost any subject.
IIRC, I read that statistically something like 2%-3% of people will take the time to write a letter. Politicians know this so they realize that for every letter they receive there are 30-50 others who feel the same way but DIDN'T make the effort to write. So 1000 letters really represent the opinions of 30-50 THOUSAND people. They don't ignore those kind of numbers if they have any interest in getting re-elected....
Always looking for a deal on more ammo and reloading components.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

sirtirithon
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: M1A
Next Firearm: Glock 20SF

Post by sirtirithon » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:47 am

Heads up-

I just created a post with the information for the Spokane I will not comply Rally to be held on December 20th....
NRA Member
GOA Member
GSSF Member
Glock Certified Armorer

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:38 am

sirtirithon wrote:Heads up-

I just created a post with the information for the Spokane I will not comply Rally to be held on December 20th....

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=86220

Kaiser
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: Saiga 12
Next Firearm: Bazooka

Post by Kaiser » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:17 am

I'll admit to not reading all of the posts in this thread, but I just wanted to add that I read in a recent article about this rally. It had quotes from the State Patrol who said he wouldn't be arresting anyone passing guns around because it's not illegal under the new law. He specifically said that is not considered a transfer, and compared it to letting your friend drive your car somewhere. He said a transfer would be like selling your friend your car or giving it to him permanently.

Edit: Ok I decided to google it just to clarify. Here ya go http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/spincont ... t-arrests/

"No one will be arrested for exchanging guns, Calkins, the patrol spokesman, said.

“We don’t see handing a weapon to someone else as a violation of the law,” Calkins said. “We don’t see that as a transfer.”

He likened it to the difference between loaning your car to a friend for the afternoon and signing the papers over to him. The latter is a transfer, the former is not, Calkins said.

Washington is an “open carry state”, which means the protesters are free to bring their firearms to the rally as long as they are in plain sight, or concealed if they have a permit, Calkins said.

“The Capitol is a good place for people to come and express their political opinions,” he said. “We would, of course, advise good firearms safety.”"
"There was nothing more badass than karate in the '80s. If you mixed '80s-era karate with nuclear warheads, that would still be the less-lethal version because it was diluting karate."

Kaiser
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: Saiga 12
Next Firearm: Bazooka

Post by Kaiser » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:20 am

That being said, I still support the rally and making our voices heard, just wanted to let you guys know that the "I will not comply" portion of it isn't really going to work since it's not violating the new law.
"There was nothing more badass than karate in the '80s. If you mixed '80s-era karate with nuclear warheads, that would still be the less-lethal version because it was diluting karate."

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:32 am

Discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=85767
Unless the verbiage in 594 is changed, I think the WSP spokesman is very much mistaken. It may not be the intent of the meaning of transfer but that's not how it's actually written.