Spokane Arena

Discuss legislation. gun control bills and local Law...
Forum rules
Please keep it civil...
roger
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: I like them all
Next Firearm: S&W 686

Spokane Arena

Post by roger » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:30 pm

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/j ... ane-arena/

Spokane Arena is installing metal detectors.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Re: Spokane Arena

Post by scrappy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:45 pm

Oh yes, we wouldn't want any of you law abiding good citizens to poses the ability to defend yourself if the creepy people come a calling. No, we INSIST you be rendered helpless in the name of convienience and legal protectionism from predatory prosecutors and lawyers.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

Rigger28
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane/Metaline
Favorite Firearm: Ruger M77 .375 Ruger
Next Firearm: .410 SxS

Post by Rigger28 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:45 pm

WTH??? I planned on taking my wife to a concert there in a couple months, can I really not take my sidearm in there????

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by thumpar » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:06 pm

I forget exactly how it is written but if it is a private event there can be guns and it is up to the venue to allow or not. I will no longer go there.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

roger
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: I like them all
Next Firearm: S&W 686

Post by roger » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:25 pm

Agreed, I have been going to the Chiefs games frequently for the last 15 years or so. I have never been to the arena and not carried. But don't think I will be going now.

ducknshoot
Favorite Firearm: M&P 9c
Next Firearm: M&p 22

Post by ducknshoot » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:41 pm

Actually, as the RCW reads, the Arena is a public district and those who are licensed under the concealed law are exempt from the restrictions. However, if a private entity leases the venue, they can determine the accessibility of weapons. I have always wanted to check with the folks at the arena to determine if they realized the licensed holders were exempt, but didn't want to give them opportunity to take away more rights. This is different than the Court House, which is written in Code that you can not carry. But they do have lockable storage to place your gun if you go there.

Badger
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane, WA

Post by Badger » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:00 pm

ducknshoot wrote:Actually, as the RCW reads, the Arena is a public district and those who are licensed under the concealed law are exempt from the restrictions. However, if a private entity leases the venue, they can determine the accessibility of weapons. I have always wanted to check with the folks at the arena to determine if they realized the licensed holders were exempt, but didn't want to give them opportunity to take away more rights. This is different than the Court House, which is written in Code that you can not carry. But they do have lockable storage to place your gun if you go there.
Nope.

The facility is owned and operated by a government entity. The RCW and the constitution of the the state are being violated if CPL holders are barred from carrying.

The only remedy is legal action.

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: The one I have on me
Next Firearm: We'll see

Post by BC38 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:37 pm

Never been there, and from the sound of it, I'm thinking I likely never will.
A boycott can be just as effective as legal action - just gotta contact them and let them know every time they put on a show you'd like to see, and tell them why they aren't getting any of your $$...
Always looking for a deal on more ammo and reloading components.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

Orphan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: 338 Lapua

Post by Orphan » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:39 pm

ducknshoot wrote:Actually, as the RCW reads, the Arena is a public district and those who are licensed under the concealed law are exempt from the restrictions. However, if a private entity leases the venue, they can determine the accessibility of weapons. I have always wanted to check with the folks at the arena to determine if they realized the licensed holders were exempt, but didn't want to give them opportunity to take away more rights. This is different than the Court House, which is written in Code that you can not carry. But they do have lockable storage to place your gun if you go there.

The PFD never leases the property they never surrender their property rights, the PFD does issue a license to use the facility for specific days or hours. The license to use the facility does grant some limited property rights in certain circumstances but not like a lease or renting the facility does.

Several of us pursued this for several years and it will not change until Sequim Vs PNSPA is overuled. There is so much more to it that RCW 9.41.290 and 300 a lot more.

In Pacific Northwest Shooting Park Association v City of Sequim, 158 Wash.2d 342 (2006), the court held that the City of Sequim was acting in a private capacity when leasing out a city convention center to an association conducting a gun show within the premises belonging to Sequim. The court decided that the laws that apply to public parks, public meetings and other municipally owned premises and property are not the same as restrictions imposed on private parties per a city’s contractual relations with private parties.

http://firearmslawyer.net/blog/index.ph ... 02/23/p154

Read and understand this case and then tell us that RCW 9.41.290 and 300 are the answer.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/wa-supreme-c ... 52139.html

I said I was not going to try to explain this again but here I am beating my head against the wall again.

Wanna change it? Get organized and get 10,000 plus people to write a letter to their Representatives. Most of you would rather find a flaw in another person's reasoning than to actually do something about it.

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time

Post by Bob R » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:55 pm

BC38 wrote:Never been there, and from the sound of it, I'm thinking I likely never will.
A boycott can be just as effective as legal action - just gotta contact them and let them know every time they put on a show you'd like to see, and tell them why they aren't getting any of your $$...
They could care less if you and 10 of your friends keep your money away from their arena because that is about what it would be. To them is is nothing. There are plenty of people paying their way in to more than make up for an ineffectual and token boycott by a very few people.

As Orphan said, we need numbers, as in thousands across the state to push this. Everyone likes to talk about how it needs to be changed but in the last 5-6 years only a meager two or 3 people have tried to change it, up to and including consulting lawyers from the SAF.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: The one I have on me
Next Firearm: We'll see

Post by BC38 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:59 pm

Boycotting them and telling them why at every opportunity isn't a good way to effect change then?
Seems to me that 10,000 letters and emails stating such would be at least as effective as a letter to our Representatives.
Make them WANT to change the policy by hitting them in the pocketbook.
As for the letter to our Representatives, I'm down with that. What do you suggest we say? That they need to pass legislation that over-rides the rulings that the courts have already made?
Always looking for a deal on more ammo and reloading components.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time

Post by Bob R » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:19 pm

For a boycott to be effective it has to hurt them, I personally don't see enough dedicated people in Spokane that would do that. If you could empty the arena for a few hockey games or such that would get their attention but the likelihood of anything remotely resembling that would be nigh on impossible to do is Spokane. It is what it is.

Pocketbook warfare is a great way to effective change, if you can get it organized. On a local level that is kind of tough.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

Orphan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: 338 Lapua

Post by Orphan » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:59 pm

Bob R wrote:For a boycott to be effective it has to hurt them, I personally don't see enough dedicated people in Spokane that would do that. If you could empty the arena for a few hockey games or such that would get their attention but the likelihood of anything remotely resembling that would be nigh on impossible to do is Spokane. It is what it is.

Pocketbook warfare is a great way to effective change, if you can get it organized. On a local level that is kind of tough.

bob

I see a lot of hot air in Spokane.

boarderwayne
Favorite Firearm: m&p 9
Next Firearm: 1911

Post by boarderwayne » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:46 pm

Looks like this is coming into the news again. Apparently the Arena staff wouldn't let sheriff Ozzie into the hockey game with his duty weapon last night. Doubt this will change anything but thought some of you would be interested in hearing this.

http://www.khq.com/clip/13097311/spokan ... kane-arena