The City of Spokane says the Sheriff can't have a gun.

Discuss legislation. gun control bills and local Law...
Forum rules
Please keep it civil...
Moscow
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by Moscow » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:45 pm

Here is a barf-inducing bit of gun-grabbing liberal crap. The duly-elected Sheriff of Spokane County Washington was barred from entering the Spokane Arena – owned and operated by the City of Spokane because he was on duty and carrying a gun.

No Guns For You!

Really – I’m not kidding. The local super-liberal “newspaper” reported on it yesterday: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/f ... okane-are/

For your viewing pleaeure, here is a direct quote from that story:
The no-weapons rule enacted at the Spokane Arena a few months ago snagged an unintended victim Saturday night – Spokane County Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich.

Knezovich arrived at the arena for the Spokane law enforcement vs. Tri-Cities law enforcement charity event before the Spokane Chiefs hockey game when he was forced to disarm himself before going inside.

“They disarmed me at the door and I’m on duty,” he said. “I had to go put my gun in the car.”

Knezovich said he didn’t have time to argue because he had to get inside, though he plans to follow up with arena officials. “It was just a new level of insanity,” he said. “On-duty police officers do not get disarmed.”

Kevin Twohig, executive director of the Public Facilities District that operates the arena, said he couldn’t comment on the incident because he did not know what had happened. In general, on-duty officers in uniform are allowed to keep their guns, but officers not in uniform are not, he said.

“If they’re not in uniform how would we know they’re on duty?” he said.

Knezovich said he was wearing a suit with a badge on the lapel. The security staff recognized him and were apologetic, he said.

“This is atrocious,” he said. “Every year I go there. Every year I’ve been armed.”

Mind you, he is the Sheriff – not a deputy. And he was on duty. And he was wearing his badge. And he was recognized by the Arena Employee that barred him from entry.

The Spokane County Sheriff’s department is a good-sized organization with hundreds and hundreds of sworn deputies, not to mention another gazillion administrative employees. Ozzie Knezovich is probably the most recognizable person in the Spokane metro area.

In the State of Washington, the state constitution is crystal clear on the matter of keeping and bearing firearms. Additionally, state law also prempts any City, town, county or other municipality from the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state. ( https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.290 )

Going even further, state law specifically exempts those possessing a valid concealed pistol license, or law enforcement personnel from portions of the state law that regulates firearms in publicly operated arenas and stadiums.

However, since Washington State has been invaded by mush-for-brains liberals for the past few decades, it seems as though the law is no longer the law.

The law, or policy, - or whatever the knuckleheads that run Spokane choose to call it - is clearly illegal and unconstitutional on a state level, not to mention a violation of the United States Constitution.

I myself have been barred from entry to this very same city-owned arena unless I was first disarmed after being forced to be wanded, patted down, and scanned by a full-body metal detector.

Just for chuckles, here is a link to the state law: http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

Oh yes – did I mention that the City of Spokane Washington is a Sanctuary City as codified by the Spokane Municipal code?

found at: https://badgerlakeobserver.blogspot.com ... false.html

Blacklion66
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Northport, WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W GOVENOR
Next Firearm: 25-20

Re: The City of Spokane says the Sheriff can't have a gun.

Post by Blacklion66 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:46 pm

considering the sheriff is the one who says Spokane County is a Sanctuary County, I don't feel at all sorry for him having to check his gun

Coug91
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: 1911's and AR15's
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Coug91 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:41 pm

Blacklion66 wrote:considering the sheriff is the one who says Spokane County is a Sanctuary County, I don't feel at all sorry for him having to check his gun
I was going to call bullship, but then... http://cis.org/Sanctuary-Cities-Map
Fortuna Favet Fortibus.

When you run out of valid things to say, there's always insults.

pacnw
Gun Trader
City: North of Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: one that goes bang!!

Post by pacnw » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Will this incident make this illegal action come to light and finally be adjudicated?

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Here is a link to the interview that KHQ did with Ozzie about this. http://www.khq.com/clip/13097311/spokan ... kane-arena
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time

Post by Bob R » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Spokane Arena – owned and operated by the City of Spokane
Not really. The arena, as well as the Spokane Convention Center and the INB Performing Arts Center are all owned and operated by the Spokane Public Facilities District. The District is a municipal corporation. It is an independent taxing authority and a taxing district as defined in the state Constitution. That makes it a municipality under the WA State Constitution and subject to RCWs.
Will this incident make this illegal action come to light and finally be adjudicated?
The way I understand this is no, this is not enough. Someone needs to be arrested (?) for violating their policy so you can have an "injured party". This is just a guess but I believe that is what needs to happen.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

Orphan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: 338 Lapua

Post by Orphan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:50 pm

pacnw wrote:Will this incident make this illegal action come to light and finally be adjudicated?

Not likely, but Ozzie could choose to enforce the law, specifically;

RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places—Local laws and ordinances—Exceptions—Penalty.
(snip)
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060

I doubt Ozzie will actually enforce the law, he should have immediatly enforced the law when he was denied entry. I am guessing he didn't and still does not know that particular law.

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Ozzie's statement on the news today:
“They have looked at their policy, and that policy is going to be scrapped,” said Knezovich. “All law enforcement, on and off duty, will be able to enter the arena carrying their weapons.”
You should know that any officer who decides he wants to carry a gun in here off duty cannot be drinking while doing so. That's a violation of their department's policy.

Meanwhile, the sheriff says the arena is breaking state law by not letting people who hold concealed pistol licenses bring their guns inside the arena.
http://www.kxly.com/news/local-news/spo ... /332363633
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Moscow
Apprentice Gun Trader

Post by Moscow » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:18 am

Bob R wrote:
Spokane Arena – owned and operated by the City of Spokane
Not really. The arena, as well as the Spokane Convention Center and the INB Performing Arts Center are all owned and operated by the Spokane Public Facilities District. The District is a municipal corporation. It is an independent taxing authority and a taxing district as defined in the state Constitution. That makes it a municipality under the WA State Constitution and subject to RCWs.
Merely a feeble technicality. Two of the five board members are appointed by the city council. Two are appointed by the county commissioners, and the fourth is appointed by the other four.
It also just so happens that the boundaries of the district are exactly the same as the City limits of Spokane. The funding comes from sales tax. And the district was established at the request of the City of Spokane to replace old facilities owned and operated by the City of Spokane.

If this is not a Spokane owned and operated outfit, then nothing is.

Godspyro
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: fire stick
Next Firearm: Bible

Post by Godspyro » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:05 pm

Happen to be sitting in the convention center right now, had a long chat with the head of the security team in regards to their illegal policy, i requested a chat with one of the uniformed officers but he told me he wouldn't discuss the law, his only job to make sure there was no trouble.
Their line is that the renters have the policy not them, but then let it slip that the renters are just abiding by the convention center policy. When i asked about the exemption that they legally must have he said "i know exactly what you are talking about but that does not apply to us."
I finally went back to drop items and came back through the line just as Ozzie did. He is armed but in full uniform. I suspect he has chosen to just be a sheep and not anger his masters by fighting the illegal poliicy.
Prov 6:6 Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise.

RCW 9.41.010
(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

Quotes are stupid. -The Mechanic

Orphan
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Orphan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Godspyro wrote:Happen to be sitting in the convention center right now, had a long chat with the head of the security team in regards to their illegal policy, i requested a chat with one of the uniformed officers but he told me he wouldn't discuss the law, his only job to make sure there was no trouble.
Their line is that the renters have the policy not them, but then let it slip that the renters are just abiding by the convention center policy. When i asked about the exemption that they legally must have he said "i know exactly what you are talking about but that does not apply to us."
I finally went back to drop items and came back through the line just as Ozzie did. He is armed but in full uniform. I suspect he has chosen to just be a sheep and not anger his masters by fighting the illegal poliicy.

The PFD never rents the venue to anyone they license the use of the facilities. The PFD never surrenders control of the premises and their employees are the ones working there. It is a government facility with government rules that happen to violate some RCWs but that does not matter since its is them. The PFD managment is anti gun with an anti gun agenda IMHO.

Orphan
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Orphan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:11 pm

If anyone really wants to do something about the no gun policy go after the people that appoint the PFD board of directors.

" The District is governed by a five-member Board, two of whom are appointed by the City Council, two appointed by the Board of Spokane County Commissioners, and one representing the hospitality industry in Spokane County, appointed by the other 4 members"

Write a letter to them expressing your displeasure about the no guns policy. A couple of thousand letters to the Spokane County Commissioners would likely male a difference.

dillonivik
Serious Gun Trader
City: North Spokane
Favorite Firearm: SIG P238

Post by dillonivik » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:44 pm

What about state pre-emption? Isnt it illegal for a municipality to forbid firearms from a place not on the state forbidden list?

Orphan
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Orphan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:55 pm

dillonivik wrote:What about state pre-emption? Isnt it illegal for a municipality to forbid firearms from a place not on the state forbidden list?

Absolutely per RCW 9.41.290 and 300 it is. As you have just seen Ozzie only enforced the part that allows LE to carry. The problem is there is no punishment for not obeying the law.

Then there is the Sequim vs PNSPA ruling that says a municipality acting as a private party is not subject to the laws and can act like a private party.

The only way this is going to get resolved is if several tens of thousands of gun owners pay a visit to or write to their legislators. Until gun owners decide to act we will have more of the same.

dillonivik
Serious Gun Trader
City: North Spokane
Favorite Firearm: SIG P238

Post by dillonivik » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:45 am

Orphan wrote:
Then there is the Sequim vs PNSPA ruling that says a municipality acting as a private party is not subject to the laws and can act like a private party.
Um what?! Lawyers make my head hurt

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:48 pm

dillonivik wrote:
Orphan wrote:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/wa-supreme-c ... 52139.html
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Orphan
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Orphan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:21 pm

bladebum wrote:
dillonivik wrote:
Orphan wrote:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/wa-supreme-c ... 52139.html

Thanks thats the one.