Advice for holding our government accountable (CPL Issue)

Discuss legislation. gun control bills and local Law...
Forum rules
Please keep it civil...
dillonivik
Serious Gun Trader
City: North Spokane
Favorite Firearm: SIG P238

Advice for holding our government accountable (CPL Issue)

Post by dillonivik » Sun May 21, 2017 7:39 am

So I let me CPL laps and had to complete an initial application again (I know Im dumb). Anyway my issue is they told me it would take up to 60 days, a clear violation of state law. Well I didnt say anything at the time because I figured if I got the new CPL in the required 30 days its not an issue. Well it has now been more than 30 days, meaning the Spokane Police Department as the issuing authority is now in violation of state law. Also to note the last firearm transfer I had done went through without a hitch, so its not that they found a dis qualifier or anything (even if this were the case, wouldnt they need to contact me?) What do you think would be the best way to move forward? Im not looking for a lawsuit or anything, I just want to call them on their BS and make them realize some of us pay attention.

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Advice for holding our government accountable (CPL Issue)

Post by bladebum » Sun May 21, 2017 9:00 am

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070
I would call the records department and ask them what the delay is... :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

dillonivik
Serious Gun Trader

Post by dillonivik » Tue May 23, 2017 9:33 am

I called and left a non confrontational message this morning, we will see what happens.

dillonivik
Serious Gun Trader

Post by dillonivik » Tue May 23, 2017 11:33 am

Well I just got a call from SPD records, they told me my CPL was processed and mailed out and I should see it this week. So as far as getting it, and the folks who work there Im happy. However this does mean they took longer than state law requires, what if anything would be reasonable to do for this? Im thinking I may write a letter, if nothing else it shows some are paying attention.

dillonivik
Serious Gun Trader

Post by dillonivik » Tue May 30, 2017 11:40 am

Here is the body of the letter I am considering sending. I would like input on ways to improve this before I send it.

Dear sir or ma’am
This letter is in reference to a recent concealed pistol license I completed. The staff I interacted with were professional and friendly, they answered any questions I had promptly and completely. My concern comes with the wait time of the license. I completed my application on March 24, 2017 and did not receive my license until May 23, 2017. According to RCW 9.41.070 the Spokane Police Department is to issue a license within 30 days of application for residents of the state. I have been a resident of this state for all 32 years of my life. I understand that the department may be understaffed and over worked, but this does not justify failing to follow state law. When a government agency chooses to not follow the laws it is charged to enforce it serves to erode public trust. I hope you will take my comments into consideration and attempt to streamline the process so concealed pistol licenses are issued in accordance with state law.

Thank you for your time

Respectfully

Dillon R. Wilke

pacnw
Gun Trader
City: North of Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: one that goes bang!!

Post by pacnw » Wed May 31, 2017 7:59 pm

They will, or at least this is what they told me when there was a huge application surge, go pound sand.

They also said there is no retribution for going beyond the RCW stated time frame.

Once again, the government is above the laws they create.

Explain the NFA taking 8 months plus to "approve" something when it is the third, fourth, fifth, etc submittal under the same name!?

dillonivik
Serious Gun Trader

Post by dillonivik » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:05 pm

Im honestly not expecting anything to happen. I just feel it is important for citizens to point out the faults of government when there is an indisputable violation of the laws they are charged to uphold.

Southpaw
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911

Post by Southpaw » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:47 am

dillonivik wrote:Im honestly not expecting anything to happen. I just feel it is important for citizens to point out the faults of government when there is an indisputable violation of the laws they are charged to uphold.
The government will never hold itself accountable. You can write letters til you are blue in the face, quote as many broken laws you can and they do not care.

The only thing that moves them are legal actions.