“Second Amendment Rights” meeting with Mayor Condon!

Discuss legislation. gun control bills and local Law...
Forum rules
Please keep it civil...
SMITTYII
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: SpringField M1A
SGT Supporter: Yes

“Second Amendment Rights” meeting with Mayor Condon!

Post by SMITTYII » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Here is the E-Mail I sent to Mayor Condon when I heard Spokane’s Chief of Police Straub’s views on “Gun Control! Evidently he has heard from many of us who value our “Second Amendment Rights”! He is having a special meeting on 1 March 2013. It would be great if we could have a good turnout. Info is in the E-Mail he sent me in return.

Honorable Mayor Condon,
My family and I all voted for you and were extremely pleased when you were elected as the Mayor of Spokane. We were sure that with your back ground and values, Spokane would become an even better place to live and raise a family.
I now have to tell you, we are not as sure with your recent appointment of Mr. Straub as the Spokane Chief of Police. We were more than willing to give him time to prove himself but with his recent statement on KXLY TV, on Gun Control, we have no confidence in him as Spokane Chief of Police. His comment he made it quite clear he will never fit in, in this part of the state.
We had a “Speaker of the House of Representatives of the United States Congress (Tom Foley) that made this mistake also. Here in Spokane, Our “Second Amendment Rights” are very Near and Dear to our Hearts, and is one thing we will not put up with them being taken away from us, especially by an outsider.
We are sure we will not hear back from you but we wanted to let you know how we feel.

The E-Mail Mayor Condon sent back, with info on meeting.

Dear Mr. Smith,
I am honored to serve as your Mayor and I appreciate you contacting me with your concerns regarding the recent Newtown tragedy and subsequent gun law developments.
The complex nature of gun violence and mental illness leave us no perfect resolution. However, school districts and police departments across the nation are evaluating responses, increasing security measures, and enhancing mental health programs. Spokane is no exception. The Spokane Public School District, with the assistance of the Spokane Police Department, is actively considering solutions that will be suitable for our community.
As the executive branch of government, I believe that our key role is to focus on committed enforcement of the laws that we have in place. I will continue to direct our Police Department to enforce those laws and work with other agencies to provide the necessary social services to those in our community who need them, and to keep our citizens safe.
I have received a number of questions on this topic and I am inviting all of you to my office to discuss the issue further, on March 1st at 1:00pm. Please contact Marnie Rorholm, Director of my office at arorholm@spokanecity.org or by phone at 625-6269, to let us know if you’ll be able to make it. I hope to see you then.In the meantime, if you have further questions regarding legislative issues, I suggest that you contact the Spokane City Council at (509)625-6255. If your questions pertain to the solutions that our local school administrators are considering, you can contact Spokane Public Schools Superintendent, Dr. Shelley Redinger’s office at (509)354-5900.
I am committed to enhancing the safety of our citizens and working together I believe that we can make Spokane the “City of Choice” for the Northwest.
Sincerely,
David A. Condon
Freedom has a taste, that those who have never fought for it, will never know!
Semper Fi!

Fallujah0351
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA, Idaho
Favorite Firearm: walther P22
Next Firearm: Benjamin Bulldog

Re: “Second Amendment Rights” meeting with Mayor Condon!

Post by Fallujah0351 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:18 am

Somabit¢h... Just needed a few more days and I would've been/would be there for sure!
This is an opportunity not to be given away Gent's.
if you've got nothing better to do than Spank It, then MAKE AN APPEARANCE HERE. Please...
For those of us who physically cannot.

Semper-Fi 1970
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Semper-Fi 1970 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:12 am

I am working at that time..

How about some one draft a letter that we all can sign electronically to go with who ever can attend?
just a thought... ;)
Old bikes never die, they just get rusty and better looking!
Items Sell Faster with Photo's Attached: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21
Posting ?'s viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time

Post by Bob R » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Color me skeptical. He mentioned Newtown, you didn't. He mentioned other stuff that had no bearing at all on your letter, in fact, it looks like a canned response.

His "meeting" is to discuss just what, exactly? The safety of the children in schools? The total lack of mental health assets in Spokane? Enforcing existing laws? Sending his (lack of) golden haired Chief of Police to a class on the Constitution of the United States class, with emphasis on the Bill of Rights?

As far as the City Council, that was tried by Mike Fagen and he got blindsided by another member of the council and no support from others when he tried to put forth a 2A Resolution for Spokane.

I have some things to do that day, but I will let them know I am coming, and then try to make it. I want to make sure they have a donut ordered for me, just in case!

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

Southpaw
Accomplished Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: 1911

Post by Southpaw » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:37 pm

I recommend everyone read this article for a so-so history of Straub and his controversies.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/a ... ice-chief/

As far as I can tell, he started out in NY. Learning NY anti-gun cop politics.

He made his way to Indiana where gun-rights activists wanted to drum him out for his anti-gun statements, much like what we want now. He was forced to resign over a scandal involving a police coverup over evidence.

So, Condon has taken a anti-gun NY cop. A cop who was drummed out of his job in Indiana for his anti-gun views, and problems with handling police coverups. And he has brought him here to pro-gun Spokane. And put this person with a coverup problem, in charge of a department that has a coverup problem.

Additionally from another website........
http://www.spokanewatch.net/mayor-david ... ief-staub/
During his tumultuous 28-month tenure in Indianapolis he drew criticism over his aggressive leadership style and his decisions on police reforms amid multiple scandals.

The Public Safety budget ran $15 million in the red.

Property crime and violent crime went up significantly.

He hired a personal friend’s company to help him “reorganize” the police department.

He claimed “50 years of corruption” but both the mayor and the interim police chief disagreed, according to Fox News.
Straub needs to go.

Fallujah0351
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Fallujah0351 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Southpaw wrote:I recommend everyone read this article for a so-so history of Straub and his controversies.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/a ... ice-chief/

As far as I can tell, he started out in NY. Learning NY anti-gun cop politics.

He made his way to Indiana where gun-rights activists wanted to drum him out for his anti-gun statements, much like what we want now. He was forced to resign over a scandal involving a police coverup over evidence.

So, Condon has taken a anti-gun NY cop. A cop who was drummed out of his job in Indiana for his anti-gun views, and problems with handling police coverups. And he has brought him here to pro-gun Spokane. And put this person with a coverup problem, in charge of a department that has a coverup problem.

Additionally from another website........
http://www.spokanewatch.net/mayor-david ... ief-staub/
During his tumultuous 28-month tenure in Indianapolis he drew criticism over his aggressive leadership style and his decisions on police reforms amid multiple scandals.

The Public Safety budget ran $15 million in the red.

Property crime and violent crime went up significantly.

He hired a personal friend’s company to help him “reorganize” the police department.

He claimed “50 years of corruption” but both the mayor and the interim police chief disagreed, according to Fox News.
Straub needs to go.
From what's been posted above as I have little to no knowledge of the man or his past actions/inactions, it really does seem as if he needed to go before he arrived.
Anyone else have history on this guy?

daveM
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: M&P 45
Next Firearm: Rem700

Post by daveM » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:23 pm

Bob R wrote:Color me skeptical. He mentioned Newtown, you didn't. He mentioned other stuff that had no bearing at all on your letter, in fact, it looks like a canned response.
Yeah, it's canned. Looking like he's saying, "Vote out the incumbent mayor next chance you have."
How very sad. Makes me think he's in bed with Straub.
Patriots have no fear of non-binding UN resolutions. False patriots do.

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:33 pm

I am starting to loose confidence in Condon. If you think about it how many people are off at that time that actually try to work and own a gun. Like the joke goes 1 million people showed up for Obama's inauguration and only 14 people took the day off.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

SMITTYII
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: SpringField M1A

Post by SMITTYII » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:25 am

daveM wrote:
Bob R wrote:Color me skeptical. He mentioned Newtown, you didn't. He mentioned other stuff that had no bearing at all on your letter, in fact, it looks like a canned response.
I agree but he did mention " subsequent gun law developments" (" I am honored to serve as your Mayor and I appreciate you contacting me with your concerns regarding the recent Newtown tragedy and subsequent gun law developments.) But I am not going to sit on my A-- and not do everything I can to to let all my electioned officles know how important "Second Amendment Rights" are to me and others!
I am starting to loose confidence in Condon also!
Freedom has a taste, that those who have never fought for it, will never know!
Semper Fi!

Badger
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane, WA

deleted

Post by Badger » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:41 am

deleted
Last edited by Badger on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fallujah0351
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Fallujah0351 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:55 am

Badger wrote:
SMITTYII wrote: I am starting to loose confidence in Condon also!
If you are just starting, you're late.
Better late than never.

Condon's letter was sent to me as well. It didn't touch on the points I made in my letter about the obviously flawed selection of Straub as Chief of Police.

The very idea of a Chief of Police that has never served as a police officer speaks volumes.

Any "meeting" Condon has planned will be akin to offering a shower to new arrivals at Auschwitz .
Idaho is just a unicorn ride away... :mrgreen:
Just Sayin'....... :lol:
I can't say I know much about the city level officials/"representatives" on the right side of the state line either though...
I'm still very new to Eastern Washington/Northern Idaho scene/area myself, and further investigation and personal oversight still needs to be done on my part.
It's Good to hear from you Gent's on the status of the elected robber-barons that I was unaware of all together though.
Keep writing, I take these informations and opinions to heart/mind.
And Thank You for that Gentlemen.

Southpaw
Accomplished Gun Trader

Post by Southpaw » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:48 pm

I called yesterday to make a reservation or whatever.

I am trying to put together a list of problems with Straub. If anyone knows anything that they can link to on the internet, let me know. I need an internet link, so I can verify it. I won't go in with word-of-mouth accusations.

If you can make it to the meeting you should. I will go in alone if I have to, but I prefer a crowd.

daveM
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by daveM » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:25 pm

Straub never served as a cop?!?

Now granted, I don't think that's a requirement for a sheriff or chief of police. However, the man best at least be a good administrator, and sensitive to what's important to an area's residents. It also should be reasonable to assume that such a person would be of the highest integrity, and not off dating his staff.

If he moved the meeting an hour later I could go, think it might be worth proposing that to his office?

Bob R

Post by Bob R » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:32 pm

Now granted, I don't think that's a requirement for a sheriff or chief of police.
Actually, it is a requirement to be a police chief in the State of WA to actually be certified as a police officer in WA.
In the wake of a surprisingly interesting and moving hearing Monday night, the Spokane City Council voted unanimously to approve Frank Straub to be the city’s Director of Law Enforcement. The hastily devised position was necessary because Straub is not yet fully certified to be a police officer in Washington, and thus not yet qualified to be a police chief under state law.
http://www.cforjustice.org/2012/09/10/a ... dorsement/

So, in order for him to be the Chief of Police, he is to do a abbreviated certification course to be certified in WA.
in September, a Washington State Commission Board waived the requirement that he attend a 720 hour police academy in order to assume to title. The commission ruled he complete a much shorter equivalency course within the next year to become completely certified.
http://www.krem.com/video/featured-vide ... 59771.html

The article talks how he was certified elsewhere, just not in WA. I don't know how that flies, but it is what it is. They were calling him the "Director of Law Enforcement" until he gets certified, then he can be the Chief of Police.

http://www.krem.com/news/politics/Frank ... 33786.html

bob

Fallujah0351
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Fallujah0351 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:39 am

Bob R wrote:

Now granted, I don't think that's a requirement for a sheriff or chief of police.
Actually, it is a requirement to be a police chief in the State of WA to actually be certified as a police officer in WA.
In the wake of a surprisingly interesting and moving hearing Monday night, the Spokane City Council voted unanimously to approve Frank Straub to be the city’s Director of Law Enforcement. The hastily devised position was necessary because Straub is not yet fully certified to be a police officer in Washington, and thus not yet qualified to be a police chief under state law.
http://www.cforjustice.org/2012/09/10/a ... dorsement/

So, in order for him to be the Chief of Police, he is to do a abbreviated certification course to be certified in WA.
in September, a Washington State Commission Board waived the requirement that he attend a 720 hour police academy in order to assume to title. The commission ruled he complete a much shorter equivalency course within the next year to become completely certified.
http://www.krem.com/video/featured-vide ... 59771.html

The article talks how he was certified elsewhere, just not in WA. I don't know how that flies, but it is what it is. They were calling him the "Director of Law Enforcement" until he gets certified, then he can be the Chief of Police.

http://www.krem.com/news/politics/Frank ... 33786.html

bob
Smells a weee bit of corruption... Maybe my sense of smell is off these days though... :lol:

Southpaw
Accomplished Gun Trader

Post by Southpaw » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:37 pm

WARNING

The Mayors office is freezing gun rights activists out of this meeting.

They refuse to give me a seat, and told me Frank Straub WILL NOT BE DISCUSSED.

HE WILL NOT EVEN BE THERE.

Everyone needs to write in and DEMAND more seats for gun rights activists.

They tried to make a lame claim to not enough seating, but they have council chamber they can use. So that's a lie.

Bob R

Post by Bob R » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Southpaw wrote:WARNING

The Mayors office is freezing gun rights activists out of this meeting.

They refuse to give me a seat, and told me Frank Straub WILL NOT BE DISCUSSED.

HE WILL NOT EVEN BE THERE.

Everyone needs to write in and DEMAND more seats for gun rights activists.

They tried to make a lame claim to not enough seating, but they have council chamber they can use. So that's a lie.
I hope this didn't come as a surprise to you!?!

bob

daveM
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by daveM » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:50 pm

Bob R wrote:

While you're right, that's not what I was getting at. I would prefer a CoP that hasn't spent time as a cop, but got his POST training. I'd prefer a CoP that's an administrator, and a competent leader/manager. Preferably from a major company and had a history of being in a position of responsibility, doing well, and being completely responsible for those under him.

I don't think you can find a quality leader from the ranks of the police. However, that could be due to my own personal opinions. That's why I like the office of sheriff, it's elected, and you can toss a sheriff if he does poorly. A bad CoP, well, you just pray he doesn't have too many people killed before he retires.

Southpaw
Accomplished Gun Trader

Post by Southpaw » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:26 pm

UPDATE

During my call with that Marnie Rorholm person, the one who said I couldn't come. She had claimed I was trying to "inflame" people by telling them I was getting frozen out of the meeting. She also accused me of getting easily upset because I wouldn't accept her premise that a mayor can have a closed-doors secret meeting about gun policy.

After that call I wrote a particularly pointed email talking about a violation of my due process rights, insulting constituents, and me wanting to file a complaint with the Ethics committee...the Mayor's office called me back and somehow found one more seat for me to attend. They did not mention the email.

I am waiting for an email confirmation for attendance.

If anyone has any talking points for any of us attending, I would suggest listing them and we'll see what we can do. At least once, I am going to try and mention that talk of gun laws is also talk of who will be enforcing them. I will try and role that into talk about Frank Straub, the lead law enforcer, and his anti gun views.

PS- they did suggest we can have the mayor come meet with us through scheduling a meeting.

johnson7806
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Undecided
Next Firearm: AR10

Post by johnson7806 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:12 pm

Sounds like it time to set up a meeting!