Discuss local ranges...
mzvarner
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Spokane Valley
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: SUPPRESSED SBR

School me on the ins and outs of land

Post by mzvarner » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:32 pm

The wife and I are looking at getting 10-20 acres and building a home in the coming years. Obviously if I get land, I am going to want to shoot on it. What legalities, thoughts, hints, tips, etc can you fill me in on? Ideally we are looking towards freeman/ rockford area and plan on staying in Washington.

mzvarner
Accomplished Gun Trader

Re: School me on the ins and outs of land

Post by mzvarner » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Wow no one owns property that they shoot on or have tips? Maybe it would be better posted in the range talk area? Would the mods mind moving or deleting this one and I'll start a new one?

magpulsam
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: M4
Next Firearm: Colt 1877 Bulldog

Post by magpulsam » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:48 pm

What tips do you want? The legalities are all available online with some simple googlefu and hints would revolve around not shooting yourself or your neighbors. I mean Its all pretty cut and dry...only real tip I would give is really reevaluate your stay in Washington position (I mean it seems like you wanna build right by the Idaho boarder...why not just buy and build in Idaho), especially if you plan on ever shooting with anyone else and letting them borrow or shoot your gun as that will soon be illegal in the evergreen state :( . Things are just gonna be getting less and less gun friendly in WA and I for one am actively looking for homes in Idaho.
I've upped my standards, now up yours!

BEST GUN SITE QUOTE EVER- "I spent the last 10 years playing airsoft and have used just about every type of sight to get an edge in CQB. I probably know more about CQB than a ranger" -spunky9999

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:25 pm

Essentially any area that is not incorporated, or otherwise designated a non shooting area, is legal to shoot in. Rent a backhoe, dig a pit using the excavated dirt to enhance side and end burms, assemble a target frame and enjoy.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

mzvarner
Accomplished Gun Trader

Post by mzvarner » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:41 pm

My wife and I are already worried we are going to get screwed with our taxes since we both started new careers. So having to pay a state tax too would really suck. We are planning on talking to an accountant / financial adviser to clarify tho. Moving to Idaho would also increase our drive time to and from work something we both want to keep reasonable.

I would have no problem making it safe to shoot at. I really just wanted to understand the laws around it. I have used google and what I understood was if its not within county limits or in a designated no shoot zone then I'm ok. This seems to simple tho and I know law makers are pretty good at writing in loop holes.

As for tips I wanted to know from those that have property that they shoot on. What would you do differently or things to pay attention to.

wagunguy
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Washington

Post by wagunguy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:53 pm

I think you will be fine down in that area. Just make sure that the piece of land you buy has a decent back stop and that the range won't point right at some ones house or a inhabited area. Despite best precautions I still get the occasional ricochet while shooting.