Lead ball
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: SA 1911
Next Firearm: Black Powder

Deer park gravel pit

Post by Lead ball » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:39 am

Hello I was wondering if the Deer park gravel out is still open for shooting thanks

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Deer park gravel pit

Post by bladebum » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:20 am

Lead ball wrote:Hello I was wondering if the Deer park gravel out is still open for shooting thanks
I know that as of two weeks ago it was. :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Zebthemighty1
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Deer Park
Favorite Firearm: All of them.........
Next Firearm: Soon......

Post by Zebthemighty1 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:12 pm

So, I was just out at the pit to shoot my new gun, and Dan Anderson with the DNR stopped by to talk to everyone there.
He said he was out giving everyone a warning that if they don't start cleaning up after themselves the DNR was going to shut down the range! :(
The place is an absolute mess.......see pics below (they do not do it justice) Dan also said he has replaced the DNR sign at the gate several times this year due to people shooting it.......he even put on it "If you keep shooting this sign we will close the range" it didn't work.......it's riddled with holes........
I helped clean this pit up a couple of years ago with SGT and am more than happy to help again, I did mention that to Dan, so he left me his contact info and said if we could facilitate another clean up, he would help out with it.
If anyone would like Dan's contact info, PM me and I will PM you back.
My work schedule kinda sucks, as I am working in Colorado but I will do what I can to help out......
I would hate to see this shooting area get closed, as it's one of the only free areas left to shoot at....... so, what do the people of SGT think? Organize a clean up, or sit back and do nothing and let one of our ranges get closed?
I vote clean up!
Thank you,

"nuts!"

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry

Post by hatchdog » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:28 am

I vote clean up too.

I will take the point on this effort but it would be Sept. 24th before I have an open Saturday. Be aware, if we get a cleanup with DNR support organized and a bunch of wildfires break out (likely this time of year) all DNR employees will be assigned to fire duty and would not be able to get involved in a cleanup. This happened on our last effort, we got the trashed bagged and piled but DNR was unable to get it picked up and hauled out. I have been working with a DNR guy on thinning/limbing at my place and this is what he told me.

PM sent to Zeb for contact info.

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:42 am

Baring any unforeseen emergencies, I'll commit to Sept 24th. Be aware that weekend is a gun show weekend also so that may affect the total number of people that can attend. I'm in. :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Zebthemighty1
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: All of them.........
Next Firearm: Soon......

Post by Zebthemighty1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:14 am

Unfortunately I will be out of town September 24th.....I could do October 1st?
"nuts!"

pacnw
Gun Trader
City: North of Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: one that goes bang!!

Post by pacnw » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:59 am

A big organized clean up would be great!!!!

Remember, if you are there, anything would help. Take out more than you brought in.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:01 pm

I'm in. Long as it's on a day I have off.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: The one I have on me
Next Firearm: We'll see

Post by BC38 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:30 pm

bladebum wrote:Barring any unforeseen emergencies, I'll commit to Sept 24th. Be aware that weekend is a gun show weekend also so that may affect the total number of people that can attend. I'm in. :)
Zebthemighty1 wrote:Unfortunately I will be out of town September 24th.....I could do October 1st?
I could do either. I'm on vacation the whole week between those two dates so for me either one is just as good as the other.

BUT I think bladebum makes a good point and that October 1 would probably be better for maximum turnout since the 24th is a gunshow weekend.

The last one was Boggs pit last year. The unfortunate thing is that we gathered up 50 or 60 bags of garbage. Unfortunately the wildfires kept them so busy the DNR couldn't send anyone to pick them up and I think a lot of the stuff ended up scattered on the ground again.

Maybe this time we can haul it to them instead of just leaving it piled up at the site - if they have someplace for us to put it.
I have a great little 4' x 8' stakeside trailer that I would gladly bring along. It would haul quite a pile of garbage bags.

Of course we'd have to make this a BBQ and shooting event as well!
Always looking for a deal on more ammo and reloading components.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator

Post by hatchdog » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:13 am

I sent Dan Anderson of DNR an email asking about organizing a clean up. Of course since Zeb posted this info three large fires have popped up which will be the focus for DNR for a bit. As far as schedule, let's see what support from DNR we can get and work with them on the date. I like Oct. 1st better than Sept. 24th too, I like the idea of not competing with the gunshow. I will keep everybody posted on this thread, and if we get a clean up going I will start another dedicated thread.

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:57 am

I was out there last week. It is a lot worse in person than the pics show. I will follow this thread and hopefully be able to make the cleanup.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by BC38 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:06 am

I've never been there. Never been to Boggs either except for the one time last year when we had the cleanup there.
The pictures posted beforehand didn't even begin to show how bad the place looked in that case either. As bad as the pictures looked, I was shocked when I got there and saw it in person. I've no doubt that the same is true in this case. I don't know why folks feel it is OK to abuse public spaces like that. Some people can be such pigs :roll:

Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention Zeb, and thanks for taking point on the cleanup Hatchdog.

I hope we can get a cleanup organized. The last one was a blast - or at least the shooting afterwards was ;)
Last edited by BC38 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

Trump2.0
City: Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: AllofEm
Next Firearm: BoomStick

Post by Trump2.0 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:10 am

So October 1st?

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Trump2.0 wrote:So October 1st?
hatchdog:
I will keep everybody posted on this thread, and if we get a clean up going I will start another dedicated thread.
Stand by...

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:42 am

October 1st would work for me.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator

Post by hatchdog » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:35 am

I am currently in email commination with Dan Anderson and Kyle Pomrankey with DNR trying to set up this clean up and have requested Oct. 1st as the date. Nothing is concrete as of yet but will keep all updated.

pacnw
Gun Trader

Post by pacnw » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:40 pm

What does DNR provide that we cannot supply ourselves?

It was stated that last year they did not come through due to the fires and it got retrashed from the left stuff. I assume this meant that they were going to do something with the trash?

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by BC38 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:15 pm

pacnw wrote:What does DNR provide that we cannot supply ourselves?

It was stated that last year they did not come through due to the fires and it got retrashed from the left stuff. I assume this meant that they were going to do something with the trash?
Yeah, that was the arrangement. Then we had all those really bad wildfires and all of their personnel got diverted to go fight them. Totally understandable, but unfortunate.
Hopefully this time we can arrange a drop off of the bagged junk somewhere else, so that even if there is some kind of emergency we at least know what we pick up won't end up right back were it came from.

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:54 pm

The other thing DNR would do is unlock the gate so we can drive the pit and not have to hand carry everything to the front. :)
Also, they would intervene if other shooters show up and are unhappy about being turned away until after the clean up is done.

pacnw
Gun Trader

Post by pacnw » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:58 pm

bladebum wrote:The other thing DNR would do is unlock the gate so we can drive the pit and not have to hand carry everything to the front. :)
Also, they would intervene if other shooters show up and are unhappy about being turned away until after the clean up is done.
I think majority rules in the case of disgruntled shooters!!! " Hey whiner, if you help it will go faster".

Also, we could post some signs ahead of time. Yes, they might be used as target practice, but they would be there.

Again, what is DNR going to do with the trash?
Are they providing a dumpster?
Are they hauling it away?

As for opening the gate, it would seem like that could be easily worked around. There has got to be some trust between someone here and them, enough to provide access if they can't. Like borrow a key, let us cut the lock and supply a new one, swing by and unlock the gate in the middle of the night(who's gonna know but us), etc.