Fish trap yardage?

Discuss local ranges...
HH375HH
City: Spokane, Wa
Favorite Firearm: All
Next Firearm: Any

Fish trap yardage?

Post by HH375HH » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:14 pm

Hey guys not sure if starting a new thread for this was right but I've never been to the fish trap pit and was wondering what the longest safe shot can be taken there? I have a few long range rifles and my buddy has a 338 lapua and we've been wanting to find a place we can stretch them out a bit. Also not sure exactly how to get there but have a rough idea. Maybe some basic directions could help too. Thanks in advance

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Fish trap yardage?

Post by hatchdog » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:16 am

I'm not sure about Fishtrap, the only time I have been there was the very first SGT clean-up back in 2010. But I do recall it being fairly small and since then the area has been reduced even further. The Boggs Pit near Deer Park that is our clean-up area on the 24th of this month is much longer. At one time you could shoot from the gate to the back about 300 yards but unfortunately after last November's wind storm a bunch of limbs were piled up about half way downrange. Personally I have shot 270 yards as another group of shooters were near the gate so I had to set up in front of them. Since you have already signed up for the clean-up (thank you) you will see all of this first hand in a few weeks. :D

HH375HH
City: Spokane, Wa
Favorite Firearm: All
Next Firearm: Any

Post by HH375HH » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:38 am

Yeah Boggs pit is my normal shooting area and was just there about 2 weeks ago. We were trying to find something at 500+ if we could. I heard that mica opened up some longer targets again but not sure if that's true. Last time I went there the 300 was the furthest due to some legal issues

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by hatchdog » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:47 am

When the Rock Lake range opens up again it should be an awesome place for some long range shooting. Too bad it's so far away and expensive.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=105804

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:17 am

In the pit itself you are limited to about 300 max. The property is much bigger though and if you have a portable bench you have more options. I have set up on the s/e part and set targets on the hill shooting in a n/w direction and got out to 500. The BLMland out there is not just the are around the pit.
From the old highway if (going west) you go just past lake valley loop rd (to the pit) you have a turn off on your left that takes you past the old Miller ranch house. Drive past the house and just follow the dirt rd. Much of the land on the south side of the old highway is closed to shooting, but if you continue west once you go through the second fence you hit it is then open to shooting. Out there you can find some pretty open places. 5-600 is a option out there.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

Mac11
Rookie Member
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: Wilson Protector
Next Firearm: EMP9

Post by Mac11 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:30 pm

On the ranch house road past the new parking area theres a walk in gate spot that has plates back to @ 600yds with some target spots painted on rocks to almost 800. Shoot from the rock outcropping at the gate. Best to walk all the way back to locate em. Expect to not be alone tho.