Deer processing

Discuss Hunting...in Spokane
Scarecrow
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Hkp7

Deer processing

Post by Scarecrow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:36 am

I don't have the time or inclination to butcher my own deer. Any recommendations for Spokane game processing - Crown, Eggers, Dunham, other?

thanks.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Re: Deer processing

Post by scrappy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:37 am

Scarecrow wrote:I don't have the time or inclination to butcher my own deer. Any recommendations for Spokane game processing - Crown, Eggers, Dunham, other?

thanks.
Any of the several family owned Eggar's Meats stores will do you a fantastic job. I do my own but I have them grind up the trim for burger. They also make great jerky, but if you want the very best (each store owner has their own recipie) the south hill store is the place to go.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by thumpar » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:44 am

The south hill Egger's is the best. In high school my friend and I would stop in everyday for a slab of their jerky. The Egger's in town are not all the same. I know someone that lives about a mile or less from the Egger's north of Francis and will drive to the south hill Egger's to get their holiday meats.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

jimmy
Classifieds Moderator
Favorite Firearm: Colts

Post by jimmy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:56 pm

Rusty's in Deer Park, literally half the price as Eggers and in my opinion a way better product.. Plus you get your own deer back!
Excellent customer service as well.

Scarecrow
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Scarecrow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:55 pm

jimmy wrote:Rusty's in Deer Park, literally half the price as Eggers and in my opinion a way better product.. Plus you get your own deer back!
Does Eggers not give you back your own deer? That is very important to me . . . .

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry

Post by hatchdog » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:12 pm

I have had good luck with Crown, not the cheapest. I asked them if you get your own meat back and wad told yes for all the steaks, chops, roasts, etc but not necessarily the burger and sausage. I could be wrong but I don't think either Eggers or Rustys do cut and wrap, only sausage and other processed meats (?).

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by scrappy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Scarecrow wrote:
jimmy wrote:Rusty's in Deer Park, literally half the price as Eggers and in my opinion a way better product.. Plus you get your own deer back!
Does Eggers not give you back your own deer? That is very important to me . . . .
They, like every meat store, are under very strict guidelines by both the Game Dept and the FDA regarding processing wild game. In this day and age its a wives tale about them mixing your game up with whoever's with one exception. I just called Eggars to verify all of this. The only time they can do otherwise is when processing sausage. It is cost prohibitive for them to do a couple hundred different batches of sausage of widely varying sizes, so any game being made into sausage is mixed together in a small number of larger batches. Weight wise you get it all back, and you animal is indeed in there, its just not all from you. This is the only exception they are allowed to make and is why they insist that any trimmings you have made into sausage must be very clean and well trimmed of untasty parts. Otherwise any reputable store will ensure that you get back exactly what you took in. One audit that finds otherwise and they could be fines $5000 per offense and barred from processing wild game at all. They cannot even receive your raw product without your deer tag present when you drop it off. Very highly regulated these days.
Have no fear, you will get back what you take in unless you are dealing with some back woods shop run our of someone's garage.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

jimmy
Classifieds Moderator

Post by jimmy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:55 pm

Scarecrow wrote:
Don't quote me on this, but from what I remember them telling me, you have to have a certain amount (poundage) or else it gets processed with other peoples deer. The amount? I don't remember... I cut up my own deer and do a very good job of no hair, blood shot meat, grass or twigs and cut out all the fat. I want my own meat back and is very important to me as well.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by scrappy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:09 pm

jimmy wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:
Don't quote me on this, but from what I remember them telling me, you have to have a certain amount (poundage) or else it gets processed with other peoples deer. The amount? I don't remember... I cut up my own deer and do a very good job of no hair, blood shot meat, grass or twigs and cut out all the fat. I want my own meat back and is very important to me as well.
I do exactly the same thing. Takes me about twice as long as most people just because I am so picky about it. The only thing I have them do is grind up trimmings for burger, or if I have jerky done. Seems every year I get a comment from whoever receives my burger material that it looks exceptionally good. It should, I wont put a single scrap in there that I don't want to later eat.

jimmy
Classifieds Moderator

Post by jimmy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:12 pm

scrappy wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:
They, like every meat store, are under very strict guidelines by both the Game Dept and the FDA regarding processing wild game. In this day and age its a wives tale about them mixing your game up with whoever's with one exception. I just called Eggars to verify all of this. The only time they can do otherwise is when processing sausage. It is cost prohibitive for them to do a couple hundred different batches of sausage of widely varying sizes, so any game being made into sausage is mixed together in a small number of larger batches. Weight wise you get it all back, and you animal is indeed in there, its just not all from you. This is the only exception they are allowed to make and is why they insist that any trimmings you have made into sausage must be very clean and well trimmed of untasty parts. Otherwise any reputable store will ensure that you get back exactly what you took in. One audit that finds otherwise and they could be fines $5000 per offense and barred from processing wild game at all. They cannot even receive your raw product without your deer tag present when you drop it off. Very highly regulated these days.
Have no fear, you will get back what you take in unless you are dealing with some back woods shop run our of someone's garage.
Yes your animal is in there and you will get back what you brought in, but mixed with others. Sausage means pepperoni sticks, summer sausage, germans, etc.
Rusty's guarantee's your OWN deer back with a minimum of 30-35# per batch.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by scrappy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:20 pm

jimmy wrote:
scrappy wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:
Yes your animal is in there and you will get back what you brought in, but mixed with others. Sausage means pepperoni sticks, summer sausage, germans, etc.
Rusty's guarantee's your OWN deer back with a minimum of 30-35# per batch.
Yes, that's what I said as well.....with sausage (or peperoni ) your animal will be in there, along with everyone else's in that batch. If you are having steaks/roasts, etc, you get back only your animal. Also, if you bring in trim to be ground into burger you get back only your animal. These things are never mixed. But it simply isn't possible they said to make 200 different batches of sausage, each of a different size, etc, that's why this can be mixed up.
I am not arguing about anything and I have not dealt with Crown meats, but from my experience with Eggars, as well as a confirming phone call today just for clarification, this is what you can expect from them, or presumably any reputable shop.

upnorth
Gun Trader
City: COLVILLE
Favorite Firearm: Love them all same
Next Firearm: Hk p7

Post by upnorth » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:12 pm

I brought a couple little bucks in to reedys meats in elk. Deer is flat rate $97 cut and wrap. I bought 20lbs of Germans for $70+. Your deer only. Kinda spendy so I am gonna cut up this other one that's hanging in my garage my self.

Scarecrow
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Scarecrow » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:37 pm

Thanks for all the info!

johnmuto
Favorite Firearm: .357 S&W
Next Firearm: .44 Mag. S&W

Post by johnmuto » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:27 pm

I've hunted for 48 years and have tried all of them Eggers,Crown, Sonnenbergs, etc.. Last season I took an Elk to Mason Meats near Diamond Lake. They did an absolute great job and the nice thing is all cuts were .60 per pound. My Elk was 330 lbs. on the hang ( meat & bone only ) and I had some steaks but mostly hamburger and it cost $ 235.00. I used to process myself but it is very time consuming and the last time I did Elk burger myself I think I had close to .50 a lb. and that was doing it myself. Mason Meats cannot be beat.

upnorth
Gun Trader
City: COLVILLE
Favorite Firearm: Love them all same
Next Firearm: Hk p7

Post by upnorth » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:04 am

I call him meat cutter Brian. He lives in deer park and has a legit business at his house. Prices were good. Turn over was great. Sausage and burger perfect. (509) 999-4694

apesmash
Favorite Firearm: Sig P226
Next Firearm: Sig P228 or P229

Post by apesmash » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:17 am

upnorth wrote:I call him meat cutter Brian. He lives in deer park and has a legit business at his house. Prices were good. Turn over was great. Sausage and burger perfect. (509) 999-4694
That would be Brian Wear, hes the meat manager at Costco on the north side if you're looking for him.

Funny you mention Eggers, I worked at the north side store for 10 years. When I was there, we were always very careful about not mixing up custom orders... It was a tedious task of grinding small batches over and over, but thats what we did. The only way you might get someone else's deer in your product is from the little bits stuck in the walls of the grinder. Otherwise, all your deer was processed individually. I quit two years back, but I'm fairly certain that they still employ the same method.
Smash

A wolf does not concern himself with the opinions of sheep.

Idaho resident living in Spokane.

daveM
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: M&P 45
Next Firearm: Rem700

Post by daveM » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:28 am

Scarecrow wrote:I don't have the time or inclination to butcher my own deer. Any recommendations for Spokane game processing - Crown, Eggers, Dunham, other?

thanks.
I used Quadra K last year, like their work a lot.

ETA - cut and wrap, and all the ground was my own.
Patriots have no fear of non-binding UN resolutions. False patriots do.

RRA629
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney WA
Favorite Firearm: RRA Operator

Post by RRA629 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:13 pm

Eggers Valley last year told me they mix bulk batches. 200 or 250 lbs at a time.

I used Smokey Ridge in Chewelah last year. Expensive and I'm not a fan of the taste. My Dad used Crown and the sausage is delicious.