Noobie
Gun Trader
City: Post Falls
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 30-30
Next Firearm: Cva kodiak magnum

Re: How do I get the BIG mulie

Post by Noobie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:55 am

That's a good idea! I will definitely check out the kill rates. I dad alot of scouting this weekend between chewelah and Addy in the national Forrest. Saw lots of deer and turkeys but also saw alot of sort bikers... looks like I have to head further in

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Custom 300WSM
Next Firearm: Custom 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by dmoua » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:05 pm

There are a bunch of atv/dirt bike riders out right now. Just have to get off the road and hike in.
Instagram @DMOUA_OUTDOORS

https://www.youtube.com/@DMOUA_OUTDOORS

Noobie
Gun Trader

Post by Noobie » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:33 pm

That's what I was thinking.. I was hiking along a hill side where. Could see across the valley and saw quite a few deer. Saw a couple spikes and a lot of does. I'm going to have to sight in my rifle for a little further now knowing the terrain. But that's no big deal. I was surprised to see how many deer there were in the area. Cuz in gmu 130 I have to walk 8-10 miles to see anything besides coyotes

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by dmoua » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:47 pm

There are lots of deer in those units. More whitetail than mulies but they are there. I've hunted north my whole life. I'm comfortable shooting out to 500 yards with my .308 but my longest kill shot on deer has been under 100 yards. If you are zeroed at 100 yards I would just leave it as is. Or just zero two inches high at 100 yards.

Noobie
Gun Trader

Post by Noobie » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:22 am

Got my scope all sighted in and I'm ready to go. I got 3 180 grainers to touch at 100 yards so I should be in good shape. Now we just need to wait 3 long months for the season to start :cry:

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by dmoua » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:20 pm

Nice, I've been scouting new area down in 139 for early season antlerless. The season will be here before we know it.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:04 pm

dmoua wrote:There are lots of deer in those units. More whitetail than mulies but they are there. I've hunted north my whole life. I'm comfortable shooting out to 500 yards with my .308 but my longest kill shot on deer has been under 100 yards. If you are zeroed at 100 yards I would just leave it as is. Or just zero two inches high at 100 yards.
That's a great accomplishment that you have kept your shots short like that! I understand that now and then circumstances can urge us to shoot further than we otherwise might wish, but to have kept all your shots close is very good!
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by dmoua » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:33 am

scrappy wrote:
dmoua wrote:There are lots of deer in those units. More whitetail than mulies but they are there. I've hunted north my whole life. I'm comfortable shooting out to 500 yards with my .308 but my longest kill shot on deer has been under 100 yards. If you are zeroed at 100 yards I would just leave it as is. Or just zero two inches high at 100 yards.
That's a great accomplishment that you have kept your shots short like that! I understand that now and then circumstances can urge us to shoot further than we otherwise might wish, but to have kept all your shots close is very good!
Thanks, it's never the plan but somehow that's just how it always works out.

Noobie
Gun Trader

Post by Noobie » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:32 pm

Ok kinda off topic here but I've been seeing coyotes left and right where I live. But all I really have is a 30-06. Will surplus fmj ammo be sufficient or should I just use soft points?

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by dmoua » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:37 pm

Doesn't really matter. The price for fur is crap right now and if you're not looking to sell them then just use whatever you have.

bigmatt79
City: Chewelah
Favorite Firearm: Tikka 7mm mag
Next Firearm: 44 mag auto

Post by bigmatt79 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:30 pm

My dad hauled a construction crew to Sherman pass last year and they were seeing big mulies. Also there are some back roads between let alone falls and idaho I have been on and saw the biggest Julie I've seen but it was a day after season closed. While I was bear hunting saw a 4x4 on the backside of 49 degrees north first part of June .

257WTBY
Apprentice Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: 257 Weatherby
Next Firearm: 416 Barret

Post by 257WTBY » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:39 pm

North North North. I hunt far north eastern part of state and have had decent success over past 10 yrs. I scout a lot I generally start middle of June till season starts and I pick one out and go after that buck.

My biggest Julie was 3-4 yrs ago and I watched him all summer/early fall. I killed him 10 min into legal shooting light when he stood up out of his bed. I watched him lay down in that general area the night before.

What your willing to put in is what you will get out of hunting wether it's mule deer/elk/bear or even coyotes...

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Bob R » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:02 am

Why wait?

Come on out to Medical Lake, we have yard rats all over the place. Come on out and cruise around, whack one with your truck, get a salvage permit from F&G, rinse/repeat.

If you can get some of these guys on private or public land they are fairly easy to get. Opening morning sounds like a fire fight out here. It may take some leg work but they do wander around the area, especially down by the lake.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!