Change the 24 caliber min in washington

Discuss Hunting...in Spokane
hunter399
City: north spokane
Favorite Firearm: any rifle
Next Firearm: rifle

Re: Change the 24 caliber min in washington

Post by hunter399 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:21 am

I would like someone to post where it says fmj are not legal out of our reg book.As far I know I can go out and hunt deer with a 380 ,9mm.with fmj and it's all legal.

hunter399

Post by hunter399 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:30 am

Big game, except cougar, must be hunted with a minimum of 24 caliber (6mm) centerfire rifle Cougar may be hunted with 22 caliber centerfire rifle Rimfire rifles are not legal for big game Handguns: Big game, except cougar, may be hunted with handguns with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches per manufacturers specification, and fire a minimum 24 caliber centerfire cartridge The minimum for cougar is a 22 caliber centerfire handgun Rimfire handguns are not legal for big game A modern handgun may be carried for personal protection Modern handguns cannot be used to hunt big game (except as described above), or dispatch wounded

wpcb
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: kimber warrior .460
Next Firearm: all of them

Post by wpcb » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:34 am

You are correct in the fact that the .380 caliber is legal, however it must be a minimum of a 5" barrel. Just about the only .380 with a 5" barrel that I can think of off the top of my head is a mac 12. So as far as im concerned that illuminates the .380

Coug91
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: 1911's and AR15's
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Coug91 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:49 am

scrappy wrote:
Coug91 wrote:
hunter399 wrote:I'm trying to change the 24 cal. Min to any centerfire rifle,all the other states in the Pacific northwest allow it and we should have it too.please email Scott bird
Rules.Coordinator@dfw.wa.gov
I need as many emails as I can get before Jan.1, just Tell him that u would like to hunt deer with 223 , and reasons why u think it could be deer cal.

Why? I see more downside to people attempting to kill deer with 223 FMJ. What upside do you see in doing this? Not saying no, but convince me there is upside to doing this.
The laws already prohibit use of any FMJ mo regardless of caliber. While I agree that there is more 223 FMJ ammo out there than anything else this has never been a problem with 30-06, 308 or 7.62x39 or a host of other military calibers. The bigger concern is not the use of FMJ's , rather it's the use of expanding bullets intended for varmints. There are rounds on the market intended for medium game, but they are comparatively few and too many morons out there won't bother trying to learn the good from the bad.
Wrong bullets are wrong bullets. FYI - I've killed a with a 55gr soft point (varmint bullet), but it was out of a 22-250 and maybe 100 yards. Deer dropped like a sack of potatoes. I agree that it can be done, but was that a wise choice? No.
Fortuna Favet Fortibus.

When you run out of valid things to say, there's always insults.

Coug91
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: 1911's and AR15's
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Coug91 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:50 am

hunter399 wrote:I would like someone to post where it says fmj are not legal out of our reg book.As far I know I can go out and hunt deer with a 380 ,9mm.with fmj and it's all legal.
Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do something.
Fortuna Favet Fortibus.

When you run out of valid things to say, there's always insults.

upnorth
Gun Trader
City: COLVILLE
Favorite Firearm: Love them all same
Next Firearm: Hk p7

Post by upnorth » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:30 pm

You need to govern yourself. To say legalizing .22 but banning fmj sounds like you have confused beliefs. Effectiveness/danger aside you should have the responsibility on your own to be accountable.

hunter399

Post by hunter399 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:10 am

upnorth wrote:You need to govern yourself. To say legalizing .22 but banning fmj sounds like you have confused beliefs. Effectiveness/danger aside you should have the responsibility on your own to be accountable.
Fmj should be banned from hunting in any caliber ,nothing confusing about that

hunter399

Post by hunter399 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:12 am

wpcb wrote:You are correct in the fact that the .380 caliber is legal, however it must be a minimum of a 5" barrel. Just about the only .380 with a 5" barrel that I can think of off the top of my head is a mac 12. So as far as im concerned that illuminates the .380
Wrong it is 4 inch barrel which opens up lots of handguns,i posted the rules right above your post .

hunter399

Post by hunter399 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:23 am

People think of ar15 as a evil rifle,but when someone try try to turn that caliber into a sporting caliber.It's something that shouldn't be done.even if you don't wanna use it for hunting,it makes the claim for it to be a sporting rifle, And helps your gun rights,41 other states allow it for hunting,don't let our state ban it someday your choice.

upnorth
Gun Trader

Post by upnorth » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:03 pm

Why do think you should make someone's decision for them. Do we want more laws or less ones. Take away fmj for sporting gives them one more reason to take them from us for any use. I don't have any reason for bullets like these but its not about me until it is. Obviously there are always bad actors who put us in these situations and that's why we are talking about it right now. It's always the bullets fault when someone makes a critical error how about some accountability.

hunter399

Post by hunter399 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:49 pm

To tell you the truth,i didn't talk about bullets,ar15, or handguns in my email to wdfw. But anyway convince me that fmj should be used on deer and big game animals,i have used it on coyotes and more run offs than u can count on both hands.just like u want the right to chose which bullet u use,i want the choice to use which caliber I want.Years in the future when they try to ban this gun,or that gun,a least I can say I tryed to make it a sporting caliber.Besides why would they ban fmj ,when it has the least damage on soft targets.

hunter399

Post by hunter399 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:11 pm

FMJ. For deer where's your accountability,as a hunter to make a clean and quick kill,Your willing to use fmj on deer but won't support 223 caliber As a deer round ,now that's a little confusing I think.

upnorth
Gun Trader

Post by upnorth » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:31 pm

Who says I'm not in favor of 22 cal for deer? I have shot many of mulies in Oregon with a 22-250. Also who says I'm willing to use a fmj on anything? I have never shot one out of any rifle I own or been around. Did you read my post?

Before you decide what someone can or can't use because your ethical beliefs you need to know that as hunters we all have different takes on what is acceptable and what is not. Banning something is not good for our future. If it's banned for hunting then they will ban it for range use eventually. I don't advocate ball ammo for any thing but for the dorks doing barrel rolls at the gravel pit. Best thing we can do is educate people on bullet choice.

I hear you on doing your part for helping a 223 being a sporting caliber. Just not sure the fmj part is a good route for any gun control even if it seams it's only for sporting reasons. just talking bigger picture here. These things have a cascade effect.

hunter399

Post by hunter399 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:45 pm

I do respect your opinion on the subject,I am glad your for the 223,22-250.Just everybody that's against it seems to think there's gonna be a bunch of wounded deer.I'm just trying to turn people the other way ,all I care about really is making these two calibers ,for a lot more sporting uses,

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:22 pm

hunter399 wrote:
upnorth wrote:You need to govern yourself. To say legalizing .22 but banning fmj sounds like you have confused beliefs. Effectiveness/danger aside you should have the responsibility on your own to be accountable.
Fmj should be banned from hunting in any caliber ,nothing confusing about that
FMJ's have been used in Africa and other places on all manner of medium and large game for over 100 years with great success. But these bullets are designed for the task and are different than traditional military FMJ's. As with many things the truth or error is in the details (specific design and application) not in the generalities (FMJ bullets). A thick jacketed 180 gr RN from a 308 will work fine on big critters like elk, but a pointed FMJ will not have the same effect. It will kill, but not as quickly. Problem here is that in this country proper solids are pretty rare and military style FMJ 's are a very poor substitute, and they are especially poor choices on light game like white tails.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

upnorth
Gun Trader

Post by upnorth » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:29 pm

I agree. If fmj's get banned some day it would be the generalities that that could plague us with our use of application specific bullets. Did I get that right? This is what is on my mind more than anything

Also, As lead goes away and substitutes are being used, How a fmj is defined as a law could come back to bite us. I understand a fmj is suppose to be a metal jacket but depending on how it's worded...

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:51 am

upnorth wrote:I agree. If fmj's get banned some day it would be the generalities that that could plague us with our use of application specific bullets. Did I get that right? This is what is on my mind more than anything

Also, As lead goes away and substitutes are being used, How a fmj is defined as a law could come back to bite us. I understand a fmj is suppose to be a metal jacket but depending on how it's worded...
Good points.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....