Factory 100 or 110 gr 308 win for coyote? Accuracy?

Discuss Hunting...in Spokane
nativesun21
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Spokane Wa
Favorite Firearm: Pop's hand me down
Next Firearm: who knows!

Factory 100 or 110 gr 308 win for coyote? Accuracy?

Post by nativesun21 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:16 pm

I don't have the $ for a designated yote/predator rifle at the moment, so wanted to use what I had. Saw some pretty light factory stuff (110) in .308 win online. Got me thinking...I know it's a little heavy for yotes, but anyone ever use it? On what? Group decent at all?
I believe PPU made some, and some other nosler "varmageddon" stuff.
I plan on trying it out of my 1/10 twist hunting rifle.

Any input? Experience?
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing!" - Edmund Burke

Noobie
Gun Trader
City: Post Falls
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 30-30
Next Firearm: Cva kodiak magnum

Re: Factory 100 or 110 gr 308 win for coyote? Accuracy?

Post by Noobie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:09 pm

In my brothers 308 the lighter rounds group exceptionally well at about 250-300 yards. They are plenty accurate for coyotes. Me personally I use what I have which is 180 grain 30-06. I don't save the fur, but if I were to I still think the light loads are too violent. Even though they fragment upon impact they have to much energy not to completely shred the backside. If you plan on saving the skins I would suggest fmjs. I've seen the yotes drop dead in their tracks with 5.56 fmjs. Your 308 will have no issues. But like I said if you don't save the skin use what you have. If you plan on saving the skin use fmj. They will be alot cheaper than 308 varmit rounds

nativesun21
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Spokane Wa
Favorite Firearm: Pop's hand me down
Next Firearm: who knows!

Post by nativesun21 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:59 pm

Very good point "noobie". I have some FMJ's laying around here. Might have to try em. As for the fur, that all depends as I may have a partner that would like them. FMJs might be able to punch through em while keeping the holes small. Just going to have to try both sides and see what happens. Thanks again!
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing!" - Edmund Burke

Noobie
Gun Trader
City: Post Falls
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 30-30
Next Firearm: Cva kodiak magnum

Post by Noobie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:37 pm

That's very true. Like I said use what you have! I would use 12 gauge slugs if I could get that close but I don't save the fur. The fmjs have a tendency to tumble when they hit bone. Possibly ending in a big exit hole. If you want to try the lighter varmit rounds go for it! I'm sure they work great. But I've never had a coyote run off very far with a trusty old soft point. I shot one near my house with m2 ball ammo for my 30-06 and he twisted around a couple times, ran 20 yards, and croaked