Noobie
Gun Trader
City: Post Falls
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 30-30
Next Firearm: Cva kodiak magnum

Special applications?

Post by Noobie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Hey guys I have always been a hunter and I have always skipped right passed the "special application" pages in the hunting pamphlet.. I've been reading something about points involved? Could someone explain to me how it works?

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them!!
Next Firearm: Browning Hells Canyo

Re: Special applications?

Post by Call Turner » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:53 am

If you put in for a special drawing, say a doe permit, and do not receive the permit because you were not drawn. You get a point. The next year if you put in for a doe permit your name basically goes in twice. The more points you have the better your odds are to draw the permit. That being said you also have the option to buy the point and not have your name in the pot for the drawing and you can use it next year. Points keep building until your drawn, then you start over.
" Having you around is like losing 2 good men."

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by hatchdog » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:59 am

Every time you apply for a special hunt and are not drawn you receive a point for that category. Example, apply for a moose permit for 5 years and don't get drawn you have accumulated 5 points. So the next year when you apply for a moose permit you actually have entered the drawing six times, one for the year you apply and five more from your points. You earn points in each category you apply for separately and the categories stand alone, your sheep points will not apply to your moose app and if drawn for a moose your moose points will be gone but your sheep points remain in your bank.

Hope this isn't too confusing, here is a link to the F&G website relating to points.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/help/questions/212/H ... +points%3F

Noobie
Gun Trader
City: Post Falls
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 30-30
Next Firearm: Cva kodiak magnum

Post by Noobie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:51 am

This helps a lot actually. My dad has never applied for special applications so I've never been raised around the idea of it. Being a meat hunter I am mainly wanting to put in for a doe tag and spring bear. I know I'm probably not going to get drawn but now understanding the point system I will have no regrets submitting applications

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Custom 300WSM
Next Firearm: Custom 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by dmoua » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:14 pm

You still have a high chance of getting drawn with minimal points. I drew my Spring bear tag last year with 1 point and my antlerless tag with 2 points.
Instagram @DMOUA_OUTDOORS

https://www.youtube.com/@DMOUA_OUTDOORS