General non-specific firearm talk...
Semper-Fi 1970
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Stop paying $50 a brick

Post by Semper-Fi 1970 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:55 pm

"The Mechanic This is not acceptable behavior. I suggest you refer to the board rules!

Absolutely no name calling and be respectful at all times!

That member has been dealt with for comments on another thread. Will be taking a vacation...
Old bikes never die, they just get rusty and better looking!
Items Sell Faster with Photo's Attached: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21
Posting ?'s viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28

Godspyro
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: fire stick
Next Firearm: Bible

Post by Godspyro » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:08 pm

Did anyone buy silver back in the 90s? Can you go ahead and sell it to me for $6 an oz? I bought some a couple years ago and would be happy to sell it for the $32/oz I paid for it.

Ammo is the same. It is a precious metal.

Now before anyone flames me my position let it be known that I have passed up big box retail 22lr and the only 22lr I have parted with was either a gift or a loan (they replace it when they find a good deal or this blows over)

That doss not count the little bit the kids or I sent down range.
Prov 6:6 Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise.

RCW 9.41.010
(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

Quotes are stupid. -The Mechanic

SMITTYII
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: SpringField M1A

Post by SMITTYII » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Godspyro wrote:Did anyone buy silver back in the 90s? Can you go ahead and sell it to me for $6 an oz? I bought some a couple years ago and would be happy to sell it for the $32/oz I paid for it.

Ammo is the same. It is a precious metal.

Now before anyone flames me my position let it be known that I have passed up big box retail 22lr and the only 22lr I have parted with was either a gift or a loan (they replace it when they find a good deal or this blows over)

That doss not count the little bit the kids or I sent down range.
Good Point!
I never thought of it that way! Puts a new perspective on things!
Freedom has a taste, that those who have never fought for it, will never know!
Semper Fi!

Kman
Serious Gun Trader
City: North Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Glock 23

Post by Kman » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:15 pm

I hope some fool goes out and buys a ton of .22 then gets stuck with it, now that would be funny. The real shame of this is there are a lot of family's that can't afford to go shooting now because some jack @ss wants to make a buck. That is fine I suppose but what goes around comes around and I am sure most people will remember who the ones are that are contributing to the problem. I for one will and any item that I sell will be three times as much for them then anyone else on the site.

GP I understand what you are saying and I do see your point but it doesn't mean that as a group we can't put a stop to it by just not purchasing the high priced ammo, I know it is a pipe dream but it would work if there weren't a demand for it. Think about it, who is going to want to go to Walmart at 3:30 in the morning to buy .22 and then just turn around and sell it for what they paid since no one will pay a higher price, then little Johnny and little Suzy can go out with their parents and shoot their little crickets or rascals and life would be great again.
Cats suck, they will get you banned and piss in your car.

Godspyro
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Godspyro » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:34 pm

[quote="Kman"]I hope some fool goes out and buys a ton of .22 then gets stuck with it, now that would be funny. /quote]

Remember the guys trying to sell p-mags for $30 after prices came back down? the guys buying up all the 22lr will be there someday soon.

RCW 9.41.010
(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

nivlak
Serious Gun Trader
Next Firearm: Barrett

Post by nivlak » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:02 pm

Godspyro wrote:
Kman wrote:I hope some fool goes out and buys a ton of .22 then gets stuck with it, now that would be funny. /quote]

Remember the guys trying to sell p-mags for $30 after prices came back down? the guys buying up all the 22lr will be there someday soon.
Not soon enough.

Or insider tips?!?

Godspyro
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Godspyro » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:14 pm

nivlak wrote:
Godspyro wrote:
Kman wrote:I hope some fool goes out and buys a ton of .22 then gets stuck with it, now that would be funny. /quote]

Not soon enough.

Or insider tips?!?

I wish........er I mean YES know a guys who knows the owners of Winchester, Remington, and Blazer and hey says they are sitting on billions of rounds just to they can screw the hoarders when they dump it on the market.....

RCW 9.41.010

RegularGuy
Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: Sig p228
Next Firearm: Sig p227

Post by RegularGuy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Sooooo.. Does anyone on here know exactly why there isnt any 22lr left? What was the major event to make this happen? How come its just 22lr and not 25acp or any other caliber? Was it all the school shooting? But the shooters never used a 22?? Please someone tell me what spurred this becuase i cant figure it out. Thanks

Nievo
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
Favorite Firearm: CZ 75
Next Firearm: AR-50

Post by Nievo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:59 pm

It isn't any one thing, here is a very good read that explains a lot of the shortage.

http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2014 ... mmunition/

wagunguy
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Washington

Post by wagunguy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:34 pm

Soon there will be pallets of bulk .22 waiting to be bought. In other parts of the country they have an excess of .22 ammo. Just a matter of time before Black Sheep gets a pile of it! All you scalpers better beware because you'll be sitting on a pile of .22 ammo!

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:33 am

wagunguy wrote:Soon there will be pallets of bulk .22 waiting to be bought. In other parts of the country they have an excess of .22 ammo. Just a matter of time before Black Sheep gets a pile of it! All you scalpers better beware because you'll be sitting on a pile of .22 ammo!
Amen brother!! I SO long for the day these scalpers loose their shirts because of their willingness to take advantage of the situation. I am all for capitalism and I begrudge no man the ability to make a decent buck, but I liken this to someone in Florida who bought all the batteries for whatever price then trippled the it to resell them to folks getting ready for an approaching huricane.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

Blacklion66
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Northport, WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W GOVENOR
Next Firearm: 25-20

Post by Blacklion66 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:02 pm

Their was a time when I considered gas at .30 cents over priced. I stopped smoking when the price hit .90 cents a pack.

What was the price of a 1964 Ford mustang? What is the price today?

What was the price of 22 long rifles 1964?

Supply and demand is and always will be rule #1

Several grand-kids can make a brick disappear better than Houdini

you all have a great day, and if any scalpers happen to have a few bricks of CCI or Wolf I would make a offer :mrgreen:

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time

Post by Bob R » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:33 pm

Blacklion66 wrote:Their was a time when I considered gas at .30 cents over priced. I stopped smoking when the price hit .90 cents a pack.

What was the price of a 1964 Ford mustang? What is the price today?

What was the price of 22 long rifles 1964?

Supply and demand is and always will be rule #1

Several grand-kids can make a brick disappear better than Houdini

you all have a great day, and if any scalpers happen to have a few bricks of CCI or Wolf I would make a offer :mrgreen:
Doesn't hold water.

In 2008 the average price of a gallon of gas was 3.45, it then dipped down and in 2013 was 3.69.

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_gnd ... pgal_a.htm

In 2008 the MSRP of a Mustang ~ was 26,240. ( http://www.cars.com/ford/mustang/2008/ ) In 2013 it was ~ 22-26,200. ( http://www.cars.com/ford/mustang/2008/)

In 2008 22 ammo was about 4-5 cents a round, some a little less, some more. Now the average is running closer to 7-8 cents a round from retailers and more like 10-11 cents a round from "scalpers".

I don't think much of anything has gone up as much as 22 ammo in the last few years, and with scalpers often seeing a chance to make a profit they are charging, and getting, that 10-11 cents a round whether they pay that much or not.

That is what makes them scalpers, they are outside what most people consider a comfortable price for 22 ammo. As long as people continue to feed their greed. they will keep marking it up. When will you call quits on 22 ammo 15 cents a round, 20 cents a round, what will it take?

I don't even know if I would call them scalpers, scalpers normally have a large quantity of goods to move, like tickets. Gougers on the other hand take what they can get hold of and price them at a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. You know, like the guy that hits wallyworld in the AM for his 3 boxes of 22 and then turns around and has them posted for sale on here by noon for double what he just paid for them. Yea, those types are gougers rather than scalpers, IMO.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

albin25
City: Lewiston
State: Idaho
Favorite Firearm: Beretta Cheetah 86

Post by albin25 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:20 pm

What scalpers are doing to the price of 22 ammo can't be compared to the price of gas in years past to the price of gas (or anything else) now.
Unless, someone buying almost all the gas from local gas stations for $3.50/gal and re-selling it at $7-8/gal was the sort of "today" price you're referring to. The real "today" price of Federal bulk 22lr is 17.95 for 550 rounds (bought some today)...OR...you can buy the same thing from a SGT member for the "reduced" price of $45.

Basically, it cooks down to this...if one believes that it's ethical to buy something they don't need just to keep it off the shelves for the soul purpose of selling it, at jacked up prices, to those who do need it...they'll have no problem with the current state of affairs, maybe even try to justify it.

"Do unto others" or "Put the screws unto others" ... I pick the first one.
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.

Rookie Member
City: Airway Heights

Post by 720.8597 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:48 pm

Main Entry: fair market value
Function: noun
Date: 1901
: a price at which buyers and sellers with a reasonable knowledge of pertinent facts and not acting under any compulsion are willing to do business
Merriam-Webster

albin25
City: Lewiston
State: Idaho
Favorite Firearm: Beretta Cheetah 86

Post by albin25 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:25 pm

.....not acting under any compulsion are willing to do business
If scalpers strip much of the available supplies, so that those who comprise the legitimate shooting market's buyers ARE compelled to purchase from scalpers at exorbitant prices or do without even minimal use of retail priced product. That's IF they can manage to locate some before scalpers snap it up.
On the bright side.....if you are desperate for ammo and absolutely must have it fast..... If you got the cash but not the patience....they have the goods.

Like the old saying, "fast, easy, or cheap...you can only pick 2"

I wonder just what percentage of the 22lr buyers are buying their ammo primarily from scalpers......10%......5%.....30%....?
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.

Bob R
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time

Post by Bob R » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:35 pm

720.8597 wrote:Main Entry: fair market value
Function: noun
Date: 1901
: a price at which buyers and sellers with a reasonable knowledge of pertinent facts and not acting under any compulsion are willing to do business
Merriam-Webster
I help you with your definitions;

prof·it·eer (prŏf′ĭ-tîr′)
n.
One who makes excessive profits on goods in short supply.
intr.v. prof·it·eered, prof·it·eer·ing, prof·it·eers
To make excessive profits on goods in short supply.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

Kman
Serious Gun Trader
City: North Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Glock 23

Post by Kman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:38 am

I help you with your definitions;

prof·it·eer (prŏf′ĭ-tîr′)
n.
One who makes excessive profits on goods in short supply.
intr.v. prof·it·eered, prof·it·eer·ing, prof·it·eers
To make excessive profits on goods in short supply.
Finally a true definition of what is going on, notice to all of the .22 gougers nowhere does it say capitalism in the definition.
Cats suck, they will get you banned and piss in your car.

atomiccat2002
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Spokane Area

Post by atomiccat2002 » Sat May 03, 2014 12:31 pm

I also do not like scalpers, but all I would do is block them on here because if they are dishonest when selling 22lr I won't trust them selling guns on here either just block them and hope people stop buying at outrageous prices, but I guess some people love their 22lr so much they pay it, I would rather buy a box of 9mm tul ammo @ 10$ than pay for overpriced 22lr

mcroberts307
Accomplished Gun Trader

Post by mcroberts307 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:33 pm

Problem is that anybody could buy some 22's on there way home after work if it was not for the scalpers.