ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Re: Shortage of 22 Ammp

Post by ron » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:36 am

The video lays out the basics fairly well, but the main reason 22 LR is so hard to find when other calibers are not, is the lower price of 22 rimfire ammo compare to other types of ammo.

If a guy goes into a store after months of not being able to find 357 sig ammo, and there are 10 boxes of it on the shelf, chances are he isn't going to buy all ten boxes at $25-30 bucks a pop because that would mean spending $250-300 dollars just to have a little extra ammo in case no more became available.

But if that same store had ten 50 round boxes of 22 LR ammo at $3 dollars a box, most people are going to buy all ten boxes if they can, even if theres a two box limit and they have to send the wife, brother, neighbors and co-workers in to buy all of it because it's only going to cost $30 bucks to get that extra ammo. And even if that only gets 250 rounds for the 30 bucks when a brick of 500 should only cost $30, people are going to do it because bricks are even harder to find than single boxes unless you want to pay scalper's prices of $60 dollars a brick.

So that's the deal with why 22 LR is still hard to find. But as to the cause of the shortage in the first place, that can be summed up in there words; Barack Insane Obama. He started a panic after the Newtown Connecticut school shooting by saying that he would use executive orders to restrict firearms access by law-abiding citizens and would bring about as many restrictions as he could think of by any means possible.

Anyone who's read history knows what happens when there is a panic that causes a run in the banks. For those who haven't read history, most people have seen the movie, "it's a wonderful life" where Jimmy Stewart talks the people of the town out of doing a run on the bank. Imagine If a president such as Hoover or FDR had stood up an announced to the nation that he was going to do everything in his power to shut down the banks and caused a panic, I think that would have gone down in history as the greatest Bone-head dumbass move by a president in history.

But Obama does it and it's hardly worth mentioning even though the result of his dumbass move resulted in a record number of guns and ammo being purchased which means that what he did was do something totally stupid as far as his own stated agenda of "Taking more guns off the streets" and instead he put more guns ON the streets, and in the houses, the cars and on the persons of millions more Americans.

But he also showed that he really is dedicated to taking guns way from people if he can just figure out a way to do it without F#cking things up beyond recognition like he's done with everything else like the national debt, unemployment. welfare, immigration, foreign policy and race relations.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

UpInIdaho
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Athol
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 45-70

Post by UpInIdaho » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:47 am

ron wrote:The video lays out the basics fairly well, but the main reason 22 LR is so hard to find when other calibers are not, is the lower price of 22 rimfire ammo compare to other types of ammo.

If a guy goes into a store after months of not being able to find 357 sig ammo, and there are 10 boxes of it on the shelf, chances are he isn't going to buy all ten boxes at $25-30 bucks a pop because that would mean spending $250-300 dollars just to have a little extra ammo in case no more became available.

But if that same store had ten 50 round boxes of 22 LR ammo at $3 dollars a box, most people are going to buy all ten boxes if they can, even if theres a two box limit and they have to send the wife, brother, neighbors and co-workers in to buy all of it because it's only going to cost $30 bucks to get that extra ammo. And even if that only gets 250 rounds for the 30 bucks when a brick of 500 should only cost $30, people are going to do it because bricks are even harder to find than single boxes unless you want to pay scalper's prices of $60 dollars a brick.
Perfect summation Ron.

As much as some guys want there to be some grand conspiracy, it's just demand.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Re: Shortage of 22 Ammo

Post by ron » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:30 pm

UpInIdaho wrote:
ron wrote:The video lays out the basics fairly well, but the main reason 22 LR is so hard to find when other calibers are not, is the lower price of 22 rimfire ammo compare to other types of ammo.

Perfect summation Ron.

As much as some guys want there to be some grand conspiracy, it's just demand.
It's demand and hoarding. when any ammo shows up people buy as much as they can even if it's more than they need. And because of the lower price of rimfire vs. centefire people can afford to stock up on larger quantities of it. It totally sucks, because with any 22, you need to try different brands so ammo to see which brand the gun shoots best. But with the shortage your choices are limited, and then when you find out a certain gun likes a certain brand of ammo, then you can't find that brand anymore.

Thanks a lot, Obama! (he's the one who created the panic in the first place)
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

RegularGuy
Gun Trader
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Sig p228
Next Firearm: Sig p227

Post by RegularGuy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:05 pm

i was standing behind a guy at double eagle pawn on Francis the other day, and he had all the 22 ammo sitting on the table at the register. he also was buying ammo cans to store them in. he had to leave the line and grab another ammo can to fit all the ammo in. all in all he had 8 ammo cans sitting there. took the clerk about 20 mins to ring up this guys purchase. well i yelled out and asked if there was a limit to how much one can purchase of the 22 ammo. the clerk said no and the guy just looked back at me with a smirk on his face. literally bought all the 22 ammo on the shelf and only left the 17hmr and 22mag ammo. another guy behind me felt the same frustration i did and asked the buyer if he was going to use all that ammo or just re sale it at a mark up. the buyer told the guy if he wanted any he could meet him in the parking lot and to bring cash! just goes to show you the type of ppl out there.

albin25
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Lewiston
State: Idaho
Favorite Firearm: Beretta Cheetah 86

Post by albin25 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:04 pm

just got back from Wal-Mart and there were some boxes of Remington ThunderPoop @ $2.35/ 50rd box. I commented to the clerk that I was surprised to see it still there so late in the day... He said, "It's been sitting there since Saturday morning".

I guess even scalpers have their standards. :o
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.

Fort Knox
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: S&W Model 10
Next Firearm: 4" 1911 or AK

Post by Fort Knox » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:01 pm

I bought my 3 box limit today at Walmart. It's Remington...but my bolt guns don't care.

Kyle

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:03 pm

Bought my 3 boxes a couple days ago as well. After reading the post above about Dbl Eagle I almost called the store to complain. Thats such a bad policy to have, KNOWING what that guy was going to do with it. That helps ONE shooter (and he may not even be an avid shooter, might just be a guy that figured out how to make money from a ammo shortage), and leaves the rest of us out in the cold. Very bad practice. I am mad at myself that I didnt call and complain about it. Kind of too late now.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

Blacklion66
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Northport, WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W GOVENOR
Next Firearm: 25-20

Post by Blacklion66 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:09 pm

Dbl Eagle is a privately owned pawnshop, the only way they make money is in the back door and out the front as quickly as possible.

If someone doesn't like their selling practices perhaps they should start their own pawnshop and give them some competition. After you get a few thousand tied up in inventory you quickly stop paying attention to those who will be in tomorrow to buy or sell something.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by scrappy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:16 pm

Blacklion66 wrote:Dbl Eagle is a privately owned pawnshop, the only way they make money is in the back door and out the front as quickly as possible.

If someone doesn't like their selling practices perhaps they should start their own pawnshop and give them some competition. After you get a few thousand tied up in inventory you quickly stop paying attention to those who will be in tomorrow to buy or sell something.
Are you seious? In this day and age do you truly think that they would have the slightest trouble moving 22LR out the door if they had a reasonable limit per person/per purchase?
If I do not like the policies of a company they generaly know about it either by my making a personal visit or a phone call. Also, it does not matter in the slightest that they are privately held, as NO company makes money if they arent moving product. They could have put a limit of 5 boxes per person and after word spread a bit they would still have been sold out, if not that day, very quickly thereafter. The profit from 10 $10 sales is the same as from 1 $100 sale.

Also, any buisness that ceases to care about their selling practices will soon run afoul of their customer base, and THAT is not a good way to run a profitable buisness.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

Blacklion66
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Northport, WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W GOVENOR
Next Firearm: 25-20

Post by Blacklion66 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:33 pm

I'm dead serious and having operated a money making pawnshop with gun licence for quite a few years at least I can speak from experience.

Customer base?
Unlike a retail store their are two types of customers that walk into a pawnshop "buyers and sellers"
you stay in business by paying just a little more than the competition and selling just a little cheaper than the competition.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by scrappy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:06 pm

Blacklion66 wrote:I'm dead serious and having operated a money making pawnshop with gun licence for quite a few years at least I can speak from experience.

Customer base?
Unlike a retail store their are two types of customers that walk into a pawnshop "buyers and sellers"
you stay in business by paying just a little more than the competition and selling just a little cheaper than the competition.
Therefor the only thing differentiating a pawn shop from a regular retail establishment is that they deal with sellers as well as buyers. Just like ANY buisness you customer base is your, ahem, customers. The people who frequent your establishment with the intention of spending money make up your customer base. This is true for any retail buisness. Also like any other retail buisness you can break down your customer base into 3 catagories. First are your regular loyal buyers. Second are the more infrequent ones who hold no real store loyalty but show up on an irregular basis. Third are the random customers, those that saw a sale ad or heard a commercial and stopped in.

You explination of how to stay in buisness is correct.

But what I was refering to with the "are you serious" remark was your comment about the need to move product as quickly as possible and by that statement justifying Dbl Eagle allowing one customer to buy out all of their 22LR ammo at the expense of many more who would have liked to have had a chance to buy some too. One cannot have any understanding of the current ammo situation if they think that placing a reasonable limit on 22LR ammo on a per puurchase basis would in any realistic way slow down how fast it went out the door. That was my point.

TSpears
City: Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: Boom
Next Firearm: Bigger boom

Post by TSpears » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:01 am

Double Eagle seems to be doing just fine. I'll guess their business practices are working quite well for them, regardless of how inconvienent they are for others.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:29 am

TSpears wrote:Double Eagle seems to be doing just fine. I'll guess their business practices are working quite well for them, regardless of how inconvienent they are for others.
If anyone would like to see DE on Francis change their policies on this, I know the management would be happy to listen. They are a reputable business and they're open to suggestions and they want to offer the best customer service that they can to all of their customers.

The situation that was related here in a post was clearly a case of a scalper buying up a quantity of ammo to be sold at a higher price to people who would no longer have the option of paying the fair market price because a scalper bought up the entire supply. I find that to be dishonest and unethical but I'm not assuming the DE Pawn knows about it and is OK with it.

RegularGuy
Gun Trader

Post by RegularGuy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:00 pm

I have spent well over 20K at Double Eagle Pawn on Francis since they opened. Those guys see me in there just about every saturday. Ever since i went in there and saw that guy buy all the 22 ammo they had on the shelf, i have taken my bussiness else where. Mostly online orders from bulkammo.com. They have lost a customer for life. Granted im just one customer but have spent hard earned money there. I have bought no less than 12 firearms from them and countless amount of ammo and other merchandise. I will not be spending any more money with them. I hope whoever runs that place( esp the gun section) reads this.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by scrappy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:58 pm

RegularGuy wrote:I have spent well over 20K at Double Eagle Pawn on Francis since they opened. Those guys see me in there just about every saturday. Ever since i went in there and saw that guy buy all the 22 ammo they had on the shelf, i have taken my bussiness else where. Mostly online orders from bulkammo.com. They have lost a customer for life. Granted im just one customer but have spent hard earned money there. I have bought no less than 12 firearms from them and countless amount of ammo and other merchandise. I will not be spending any more money with them. I hope whoever runs that place( esp the gun section) reads this.
You would be the one who could do the most good here. With your shopping habits if you were to walk in there and tell them what you just told us, that you were done with them as a customer unless that policy were changed, it would be changed tomorrow. Policy changes at any buisness are never done just to have something to do. No buisness will undertake any policy change unless they see an effect upon their bottom line.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:30 pm

As I said before, I find what transpired to be dishonest and unethical but I'm not assuming that DE Pawn knows about it and is OK with it. All they know is that they apparently have a good enough supply of ammo where they don't feel they have to limit purchase amounts and they aren't assuming that people a selling it in the parking lot with a price mark-up but apparrantly that's what someone said that they would do. The salesman working the cash register does not set policy and maybe doesn't gve a flying Fk either way but the management doesn't know this.

Please, someone bring it to their attention and it will change. They're a reputable business and will listen to their customers but they can''t do anything if no one speaks up.

It's kind of like having your wife being pissed off at you and she won't tell you why. :|

RegularGuy
Gun Trader

Post by RegularGuy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Update, i went there today and expressed my concern with the 22 ammo sitiuation. They said they would take it into consideration and told me thanks for my past business.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:04 pm

RegularGuy wrote:Update, i went there today and expressed my concern with the 22 ammo sitiuation. They said they would take it into consideration and told me thanks for my past business.
Good going on your part. I have a lot of respect for people who do something about a problem rather than to just complain. Now I hope they do the right thing.

caseman
Serious Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: Win 9422M
Next Firearm: ?
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by caseman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:38 am

I don't know what idiots are willing to pay $60 a brick for Aguila standard velocity and $5.00 for 50 rd box of remington lead nose before tax.