City: Spokane Valley
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Old Rolling Blocks
Next Firearm: Can't afford another
SGT Supporter: Yes

Need educating on M855 Green Tip 223/556 Ammo

Post by Martini Shooter » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:55 pm

I am rather new to the 556/223 world.

I have some questions about the ammo being sold.

I have a RRA 5.56 "Operator" which I have shot at Mica and love it.

I am set up to reload 223 55 grain FMJBT and 55 grain Cast (LEE 'bator' mold).

I saw that the BATF was going to outlaw the light armor piercing "Green Tip" M855 ammo.
Apparently only in 62 grain versions.

Now the latest Natchez April/May flier has it for sale !
You can order 12,500 rds for $6130 !

Anyway, is that LAP ammo banned or not ?

I have no use for armor piercing ammo - no intention of entering any battles !

But once they BAN anything, one wants to get it....just to be defiant....

BUT - can one purchase the BULLETS to reload with ? Just wondered about it.
Have not seen the bullets for sale anywhere.

Martini-Shooter
What we do in life echoes in eternity” Maximus Decimus Meridius "Gladiator"

"Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. ...For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done;...." the 13th warrior.

Low Trq
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Moscow
Favorite Firearm: CZ Scorpion EVO 3
Next Firearm: Glock 43

Re: Need educating on M855 Green Tip 223/556 Ammo

Post by Low Trq » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:06 pm

It is not banned.

PSA sells 1000 rounds of it for $449 shipped right now.

It only comes in 62 grain flavor.

You can get just the bullets and reload them, just look up SS109 projectiles.

They aren't that awesome.

If you have any more questions I'll try to answer them.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

Martini Shooter
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Martini Shooter » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks for that information !

What is all the baloney then about BATF ?

Anyway, NATCHEZ has Federal Green Tip .223 NATO (?) and 5.56 NATO Green Tip.

Don't understand the difference. Both 62 grain.

Can one shoot the Green Tip at the ranges ?

I suppose it would punch holes in the Metal Targets at Mica - Joel might
not appreciate that.

Just saw some for sale on MIDWAY, but out of stock.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/331721 ... -boat-tail

My RRA "Operator" (5.56 on barrel) should handle them, yes ?

I am intrigued by them...just curious.

Martini-Shooter
Last edited by Martini Shooter on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. ...For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done;...." the 13th warrior.

JasonH
SGT Premium Supporter
Next Firearm: M1 Carbine

Post by JasonH » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:24 pm

That's $0.49-ish a round, for that large of a quantity I would expect a better price..
Sounds like they are riding the wave of the previous scare, and posturing the selfs ahead on this new scare..

As for M855, it a decent round that produces consistent results.
It is a round, nothing more. As for the light armor piercing, you send a pointy thing speeding at 3000+FPS it's going to punch through stuff

.223 has a chamber pressure that is about 10000 psi less than 5.56.

And there are minor case differences but .223 will work quite well in a 5.56 barrel.
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door to the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.

-John R. Cash

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:22 am

"Federal Green Tip .223 NATO " is just the wrong terminology. the 223 is NOT a nato round But some people use the term "223" for everything but it's wrong. 5.56 Nato means the military round, .223 is the civilian version of the military round.

The military round has a longer chamber throat to help reduce pressures and allows them to load it hotter than the civilian 223 round. The .223 has a shorter throat for better accuracy and it isn't loaded as hot as the 5.56. So when you fire 5.56 in a tighter 223 chamber Pressures go beyond max but not enough to blow up the gun but enough so that in a semi-auto you get cases stuck in chambers and blown primers an such which, in a semi-auto is not good.

They make what's called a "Wylde" chamber that is a compromise and will handle 5.56 ammo but it has better accuracy than a standard 5.56 chamber is qwith either type of ammo. You can fire 223 in a 556 chamber but accuracy will not be as good as in a 223 chamber. And you shouldn't fire 5.56 in a 223 chamber especially if it's rapid fire

The green tip ammo is not capable of putting a hole through most steel targets. It is not a true armour piercing round. It's more of an "Enhanced Penetration" FMJ round
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:48 am

Since it is an RRA I would bet it has the Wylde chamber. Almost all RRA built ARs have it. I have an RRA 14.5" and it will eat whatever I feed it.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

rgg16g
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Melbourne
State: FL

Post by rgg16g » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:40 am

Martini Shooter wrote:.....Just wondered about it.
Have not seen the bullets for sale anywhere.

Martini-Shooter
If you want to try them they show them as in stock here:

http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/224-62-s ... w-1000.htm

But at that price I would try other projectiles.

Martini Shooter
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Martini Shooter » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:11 pm

The reality of it is that I didn't even know about these LP bullets until I got an
E-Mail Flyer from someone (I think it was Cheaper Than Dirt) saying they had
been banned.

So THEN of course I wanted to know about them.

If they are now subject to "panic buying', then I don't want to be one of the
panic buyers.

I don't even know what I would try them on except some scrap steel plate I
would take to the range.

Thanks for the Education, fellows !

Martini-Shooter

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time

Post by Bob R » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:23 pm

You have gotten most, if not all of your answers so I will only add one thing.

When you get a flyer from Cheaper Than Dirt, throw it away, don't even look at it. They are scumbag crooks of the highest order. When the latest ammo ban rumor surfaced they suddenly were out of stock on the ammo for a few days and then it was back in stock at an inflated price. That was not the first time that happened with them. If they were on fire and screaming for help I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on them to put out the fire.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

LostInWA
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: SAA

Post by LostInWA » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:08 pm

thumpar wrote:Since it is an RRA I would bet it has the Wylde chamber. Almost all RRA built ARs have it. I have an RRA 14.5" and it will eat whatever I feed it.
Not to hijack, but i have this chamber as well. How heavy can you go? Would something
75+ grain be ok?

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:00 pm

LostInWA wrote:
thumpar wrote:Since it is an RRA I would bet it has the Wylde chamber. Almost all RRA built ARs have it. I have an RRA 14.5" and it will eat whatever I feed it.
Not to hijack, but i have this chamber as well. How heavy can you go? Would something
75+ grain be ok?

That has nothing to do with the chamber. it depends on the rifling twist, For a round ball, you need a very slow twist like in in 60 but 1-in-48 will work.. for a 200 grain 44-40 winchester used a 1 in 38 twist. for a 6.5 160 grain "pencil bullet" you need a very fast twist like one-in 8. The original 22-250's and 222 remingtons used a 1-in -14 twist for short-for-caliber 50 grain bullets, and 22 rimfires use a 1-16 twist for even shorter 40 grain bullets.

Some 223's are one in 12 and That was the original twist for the M-16 when all ammo used a 55 grain bullet. for 62 grains a 1-in 9 twist is good but a 1-in 7 twist is needed for the 75 grainers.

it is easier to under-stabilize a bullet with too slow a twist but it's harder to OVER-stabilize a bullet with too fast a twist.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:59 pm

LostinWa, Many AR's have the twist rate stamped on the barrel. Is this apparent on yours?
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

LostInWA
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: SAA

Post by LostInWA » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:40 am

scrappy wrote:LostinWa, Many AR's have the twist rate stamped on the barrel. Is this apparent on yours?
Mine is 1 in 8.

WickedWillis
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Post Falls
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: HK MP5
Next Firearm: APC9 Pro

Post by WickedWillis » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:39 am

That price for the M855 is insane. Refuse to pay that for just okay 223/556
"There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs."

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:47 am

LostInWA wrote:
scrappy wrote:LostinWa, Many AR's have the twist rate stamped on the barrel. Is this apparent on yours?
Mine is 1 in 8.
1 in 8 is a good twist rate. You can shoot most common ammo out there with it. 75 grain would be no problem with that rate. You would probably max out the OAL before you got to heavy of a bullet.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: The one I have on me
Next Firearm: We'll see

Post by BC38 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:59 pm

Bob R wrote:You have gotten most, if not all of your answers so I will only add one thing.

When you get a flyer from Cheaper Than Dirt, throw it away, don't even look at it. They are scumbag crooks of the highest order. When the latest ammo ban rumor surfaced they suddenly were out of stock on the ammo for a few days and then it was back in stock at an inflated price. That was not the first time that happened with them. If they were on fire and screaming for help I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on them to put out the fire.

bob
Yup, they went one further with the 22 ammo shortage. They actually cancelled people's backorders saying it "wasn't available" - then a couple of day laters it suddenly was available again - at twice the price.
The only way I would buy anything from these jerks is if they were the ABSOLUTE LAST PLACE ON EARTH that had something I absolutely could NOT do without.
Always looking for a deal on more ammo and reloading components.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

eph411
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Glock 20
Next Firearm: Dan Wesson Razorback

Post by eph411 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:20 am

LostInWA wrote:
75+ grain be ok?
Like others have said, your twist rate is fast enough for the heavier bullets. The one other factor to consider in an AR is that you're limited by how long you can load and still fit into the magazine unless you plan to single load. The Hornady 75 BTHP and 77 grain Nosler and Sierra will fit an AR mag, but the 75 grain AMAX or anything heavier will not.

Eric

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:50 pm

eph411 wrote:
LostInWA wrote:
75+ grain be ok?
Like others have said, your twist rate is fast enough for the heavier bullets. The one other factor to consider in an AR is that you're limited by how long you can load and still fit into the magazine unless you plan to single load. The Hornady 75 BTHP and 77 grain Nosler and Sierra will fit an AR mag, but the 75 grain AMAX or anything heavier will not.

Eric
The limiting factor with the AMAX would be at the point which the parallel sides of the projectile began to curve inward towards the bullet's nose and the crimp applied to the case mouth would not make contact with the projectile once you seated the bullet beyond a certain depth. But that brings up another important point.

Seating bullets deeper uses up case capacity for powder and already by going to a heavier bullet you're trading velocity for projectile mass. Generally, when you trade velocity for mass, it's a fair exchange, unlike trading bullet mass for velocity which is usually a losing proposition. So the way the 223 round has been improved over the years is by going to heavier and heavier bullets. But eventually you reach the point of diminishing returns because of case capacity.

78, 80 and even 90 grain .223 projectiles would have incredible sectional density and ballistic coefficient but only would only offer an advantage in a cartridge that had the case capacity near that of a 22-250 to give them adequate velocity. And even with the 5.56x45 case, more capacity could be gained in a bolt action rifle with a custom chamber made for long heavy bullets to be seated out further.

I once had a Stevens 20 guage single shot that came with a 30-30 Winchester barrel. I found that I could seat a 180 grain round nose out far enough to give me enough case capacity to produce velocities with that bullet equal to the 30-40 Krag. I actually traded the rifle off before I could experiment With 180 grain spitzers, but the those Sierra round noses were really accurate. And the powder I used was RL-15 which was probably the right burn rate to give me max velocities for those heavier bullets.