Shooting a snake in city/county?

General non-specific firearm talk...
Wh1skey6
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Springfield XDm
Next Firearm: XDm Competition

Shooting a snake in city/county?

Post by Wh1skey6 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:05 pm

I was mowing for the last time this year and had a thought. If a "dangerous" snake was to cross my path, can I shoot it? Hypothetically, let's say there are two variables:

- County (designated no shooting zone)

Snake Type:
- Venomous
- Non Venomous

1) In city limits, venomous snake (My guess, you could claim "self defense" )
2) In city limits, non venomous snake (Not OK...discharging a firearm in city limits)
3) County, venomous snake (Same as #1)
4) County, non venomous (Eh...)

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Shooting a snake in city/county?

Post by Bob R » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:20 pm

I hate to be Captain Obvious here but if you have a running lawn mower and come across a snake why would you want to shoot the snake. Park the mower on top of it and you problems are over. Kind of like Grandma with the hoe but more efficient. ;)

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

Godspyro
SGT Premium Supporter
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: fire stick
Next Firearm: Bible
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Godspyro » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:03 am

Based on your question i would suspect you live in the city,

1. Why would you kill a non venomous snake? They have a job to do and have a hard enough time with hoe happy house wives.
2. You may find that unless the snake is poised to strike or out on open lawn it makes a crappy target.
3. Rattle snakes like rocks so if you do run into a rattler without open lawn and a lawnmower it may not be the safest place to shoot anyway.

Just some points to ponder before you go blasting away at the next bug killing garter snake you see.

In direct answer to your question:
If a threat who cares.
If not a threat why shoot?
Prov 6:6 Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise.

RCW 9.41.010
(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

Quotes are stupid. -The Mechanic

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: Wa
Next Firearm: M134

Post by Flawlessfoose » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:44 am

What if the snake was on a plane?
WARNING... SIGS ARE ADDICTIVE KEEP OUT OF REACH OF ADULTS .

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them!!
Next Firearm: Browning Hells Canyo

Post by Call Turner » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:47 am

Ha Ha ^^^^^ That's funny! :lol: :lol: But I have killed 2 rattle snakes in my lawn. All snakes die around my place , They eat baby quail and their eggs.
" Having you around is like losing 2 good men."

Wh1skey6
Favorite Firearm: Springfield XDm
Next Firearm: XDm Competition

Post by Wh1skey6 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:20 am

Bob R wrote:I hate to be Captain Obvious here but if you have a running lawn mower and come across a snake why would you want to shoot the snake. Park the mower on top of it and you problems are over. Kind of like Grandma with the hoe but more efficient. ;)

bob
My wife pretty much responded the same way when I asked her. Also came with the "are you stupid" look.
Godspyro wrote:Based on your question i would suspect you live in the city,

In direct answer to your question:
If a threat who cares.
If not a threat why shoot?
I actually live in the county now. The question was posed around snakes because that's what popped in my head. You could turn the statement around to be "I was jogging (or in my case, chasing after an ice cream truck) when two rabid dogs chased me down..." I listed four questions to address follow up questions of "well, was the snake venomous?". As for "if a threat, who cares", I'm curious as to what the "law" classifies as a threat. Years ago, a giant mutt of a dog jumped my fence and was being "aggressive" towards my daughter. I ended up hitting it with a shovel. The owner of the dog threaten to call the cops, blah blah. I'm wondering what they would have said. To "legally" discharge a firearm in a restricted area, don't you have to feel an imminent threat?

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:51 am

Dogs are a tuff one. If one was aggressive and looking to attack, and you end up shooting it, the dogs owner is the one to attack you next. Almost every dog owner will act like there sweet little puppy would never hurt anyone.
But I get your point, I'm sure you can legally shoot anything as long as your life is in danger

pacnw
Gun Trader
City: North of Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: one that goes bang!!

Post by pacnw » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Flawlessfoose wrote:Dogs are a tuff one. If one was aggressive and looking to attack, and you end up shooting it, the dogs owner is the one to attack you next. Almost every dog owner will act like there sweet little puppy would never hurt anyone.
But I get your point, I'm sure you can legally shoot anything as long as your life is in danger
And then the owner would be shot.

In court or via my attorney, "The owner told the dog to attack me. Once I shot the dog, he came after me threatening to kill me. I had no choice. He kept coming when I told him to stop."

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:39 pm

pacnw wrote:
Flawlessfoose wrote:Dogs are a tuff one. If one was aggressive and looking to attack, and you end up shooting it, the dogs owner is the one to attack you next. Almost every dog owner will act like there sweet little puppy would never hurt anyone.
And then the owner would be shot.

In court or via my attorney, "The owner told the dog to attack me. Once I shot the dog, he came after me threatening to kill me. I had no choice. He kept coming when I told him to stop."
Plus 1