Brass stuck in die help

Discuss all things reloading...
Forum rules
Please remember, reloading can be very dangerous if done improperly. All advice found here is from peer members, not official reloading manuals. Reload at your own risk.
mzvarner
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Spokane Valley
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: SUPPRESSED SBR

Brass stuck in die help

Post by mzvarner » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:36 pm

I got the brass out. I am using Lee carbide dies for 9mm and 45acp. It is my understanding that you do not need to use case lube on brass with carbide dies. I am using a Dillon 550b as well. Last time this happened it was because my shell plate was on upside down and the brass would just wiggle thru. I checked this and seemed fine then the next piece of brass got stuck. WTF am I doing wrong? It is clean brass all tumbled in SS.

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Brass stuck in die help

Post by thumpar » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:00 pm

I still use the spray lube with my Lee carbide dies. Never had an issue.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

rgrady35
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Spokane Valley

Post by rgrady35 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:45 pm

I use spray lube on all my straight walled brass, seems to work well. I used spray lube on necked cases once...only once.

Good Luck

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:46 pm

I never bother with lube with carbide dies. Just make sure the cases are clean. There might yet be a problem with your shell plate. I just looked at my 9mm conv kit for my 550B. It measures .355" across each shell holder opening. If yours is wider than that it is simply slipping over the case rim when you are raising the press handle. You could simply have the wrong shell plate too. Mine is stamped with #5 on it. Let me know what you find. Im pretty good with the 550B, I could give you a hand if you need it. PM me if you want.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

Astocks2622
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Howell, MI
Favorite Firearm: Witness Stock 1 10mm
Next Firearm: 338-06 or 35 Whelen

Post by Astocks2622 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:49 pm

I haven't had any issues with any of my lee carbide pistol dies having brass stick. I don't use any lube, unless you count the very slight car wax residue from tumbling (I put a bit in my tumbling media to help with dust & shine em up a bit more.) you could have something else stuck up in your die,or they're just really dirty. then carbide wouldn't matter. worse comes to worse, call Lee & ask them. they are pretty easy to work with. good luck
Always looking for 7mm Mauser & 10mm brass.

"A man is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:58 am

Try a can of Hornady spray lube and see if that makes a difference. It's easy to use, not messy, and doesn't cost a fortune.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Spectre_USA
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Sig Sauer P938
Next Firearm: Choices, choices!

Post by Spectre_USA » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:48 pm

I recently bought my 4th set of carbide dies in .223, and have since loaded up a few over 500 cartridges.

On the first couple of boxes, 100-150 that is, I used this stuff, lightly;

Sorry about the largish pic.

Got it a couple years back at White Elephant for like 8 bucks, and it has lasted well so far.

After that first few boxes, I have relied on them having broken in, and have yet to get a case stuck. Any case, in any die, as far as that goes.
(Knock wood.)