bullet molds

Discuss all things reloading...
Forum rules
Please remember, reloading can be very dangerous if done improperly. All advice found here is from peer members, not official reloading manuals. Reload at your own risk.
ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

bullet molds

Post by ron » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:27 pm

I found a company called accurate molds and they have more mold designs in a wider range of bullet weights than any company I've ever seen and you can even design your own mold.

What I'm thinking of doing is having them make me a two cavity mold for two different bullet weights for the 41 magnum. It would cost 100 dollars but it's kind of like getting two 50 dollar molds.

I'd be getting one mold cavity in a 175 grain tumble-lube waddcutter and another in a 250 grain flatnose gas check. The 41 mag can drive that weight bullet just as fast if not faster that the 44 mag (1500 fps) but does it with less powder and less recoil. the wadcutter bullets are accurate and I could do a lot of plinking and practicing with that 175 grain bullet and Unique powder. for the heavy bullet I'd use WW296 for max loads and 2400 - AA9 for medium loads

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

edzz
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: M-14
Next Firearm: TBD
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: bullet molds

Post by edzz » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Got into model 57's back in the '80's always stayed with 170's and 210's, in a stronger gun I could see the heaver slugs. In the 4" and 6" I found that Blue dot was my go to powder for everything except the hotter loads, then I'd go to 296. Think I had some HS-7 loads worked out as well.
Ed

The Few
The Proud

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:32 pm

edzz wrote:Got into model 57's back in the '80's always stayed with 170's and 210's, in a stronger gun I could see the heaver slugs. In the 4" and 6" I found that Blue dot was my go to powder for everything except the hotter loads, then I'd go to 296. Think I had some HS-7 loads worked out as well.

I have a model 58 and that's what I'd be shooting the lighter bullets in. I'll have to try some Blue dot in it one of these days. mostly I've used Unique with 210 grain XTP's
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls
Favorite Firearm: All of them!!
Next Firearm: Browning Hells Canyo

Post by Call Turner » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:30 am

You might want to check with Alliant before using Blue Dot. 3 or 4 years ago a warning came out not to use it in 41 mags. When I contacted them and told them thats all I had been loading, they checked my lot # and mine was pre ban. They did advise the switch to 2400.
" Having you around is like losing 2 good men."

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:56 am

Call Turner wrote:You might want to check with Alliant before using Blue Dot. 3 or 4 years ago a warning came out not to use it in 41 mags. When I contacted them and told them thats all I had been loading, they checked my lot # and mine was pre ban. They did advise the switch to 2400.

Thanks for another good head's up, Mike. I googled 41 mag and blue dot and found plenty of verification on this.

I'll probably stick with good old reliable Unique for everything but the hottest loads, and for those I'll use WW296 which is the same thing as H110. 8 grains of Unique will drive a 200 grain cast bullet 1130 fps and that's just a starting load. Max is 11 grains for 1435 fps so unique will do just about anything you want a powder to do exept clean and oil your gun and put it back in the safe for you after you're done shooting it.

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Call Turner » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:29 pm

Ya, I shoot 8 gr of Unique for my cast loads, a Keith styled 215 bevel based semi wad cutter. My jacketed bullets get 17.3 of 2400. I haven't taken any game with the Sierra 215 HP yet but may try this year. I had real good luck with the old Hornady HP's, but when they switched to XTP's I wasn't real pleased with the performance.I still have a few of the old bullets that I keep just for a hunt.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:39 pm

Call Turner wrote:Ya, I shoot 8 gr of Unique for my cast loads, a Keith styled 215 bevel based semi wad cutter. My jacketed bullets get 17.3 of 2400. I haven't taken any game with the Sierra 215 HP yet but may try this year. I had real good luck with the old Hornady HP's, but when they switched to XTP's I wasn't real pleased with the performance.I still have a few of the old bullets that I keep just for a hunt.

My brother had good results on deer with a 7 1/2 inch Suer blackhawk 44 mag loaded with 250 grain cast gas check bullets from a hensley and gibbs mold. they were a Kieth-Thompson design semi-wadcutter. He also got a couple of deer with a 44 mag carbine loaded with Hornady 265 grain softpoints.

I'm surprised to hear that the XTP's don't work well on game. I thought they seemed to both penetrate and expand and retained their weight well when I tested them on wet paper and compared them to other HP's. Just goes to show you that no bullet test medium is the same as hide and muscle and bone.

I wonder how their FTX and flex-tip bullets work.

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Call Turner » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:05 am

The XTP's are probably better than I make them out to be, I just had extremely good luck with the older version. Kinda like wearing your lucky hat. Bears just seemed harder to stop, and that means alot when your nose to nose.

K-Rod
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Post Falls
Favorite Firearm: Kimber Custom Shop
Next Firearm: .308

Post by K-Rod » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Ron, just so happens that I have a 250gr Round Nose plain base bevel crimp mold for the 41mag. Its the lyman 410426. Now, google says that this mold should be 245gr but with my alloy and lube they weigh around 250gr to 254gr. They dont make it anymore. I shoot it out of a 6" M57. Very accurate! I complete out to 200yrds with it. Ive been known to shoot it out to 600yrds as well. I found load data for it in the 1970 Lyman #45 data book. It calls for Lyman #2 but I cast it 50/50 pure/ WW's with 2% tin and drop them right out of the mold into a bucket of water. Should be around 18bhn. Ive pushed these plain based bullets to around 1300fps without any leading at all. Just thought Id add that seeing how it probably wont be that easy to find gas checks.

Below is the data but please note, Im just quoting from the book.

Bullseye: Start 4.0gr (684fps) to 4.4gr Max (750fps)
Unique: Start 6.0gr (780fps) to 8.5gr Max (1058fps)
2400: Start 14.0gr (928fps) to 17.5gr Max (1169fps)

Now, I also have a small amount of 200gr Button nose wadcutters for the 41mag that I havent had a chance to play with yet. They are from a Lyman 41026 mold I once had and like a damn fool, sold. Again, not made anymore but they do show up on ebay once in a while with a big price tag. This bullet is a plain base with two lube grooves and a bevel crimp.

If you would like, Pm me your address and I'll send you a handful of each to play with before you have Accurate cut molds for you. BTW, Ive owned a few of the Accrate molds over the last couple years. GREAT mold.

Bonza
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: Martini-Henry

Post by Bonza » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:37 am

I've bought a LOT of molds from Accurate Molds, both for my own use & a couple of Group Buys I've headed up. Quality & service is exceptional.
"His face was as blank as a target after a militia shooting match." Mark Twain

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:10 pm

Be careful with using Unique in some loads. My older Hornady manual has bad data in it (third edition I think.....) for unique in the 44 mag. I think it showed a start load of about 11gr and a max of 13 something with 240gr bullets. I tried some with the 240gr Speer half jacketed bullet and 11.5gr Unique. Primers were completely flattened and I had to remove the cylinder and beat the cases out with a dowel. (pulled the cylinder to avoid any torque on the crane.) Pulled the rest apart and verified my charge was accurate, it was.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Call Turner » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:39 pm

I shoot Black like the ODG.