Can't find 2400 need something else

Discuss all things reloading...
Forum rules
Please remember, reloading can be very dangerous if done improperly. All advice found here is from peer members, not official reloading manuals. Reload at your own risk.
upnorth
Gun Trader
City: COLVILLE
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Love them all same
Next Firearm: Hk p7

Can't find 2400 need something else

Post by upnorth » Mon May 25, 2015 8:39 pm

It's been over a year since I found alliant 2400 for my 357. I'm shooting oregon trail 158gr hard cast(22-24hardness). I need something I can find locally. I went for some 296/h110 but chickened out because of reviews on based hard cast 357. Is there another alternative that's worth a crap?

Spike_Goldman
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Can't find 2400 need something else

Post by Spike_Goldman » Tue May 26, 2015 10:12 am

IMR 4227 should give you good results, it's just a bit slower than 2400. I would still look at H110 and 296. What was your concern with these powders and hard cast bullets? As long as I've used a decent gas check, I have not had problems loading or shooting hard cast in my 357 lever gun.
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different. - Kurt Vonnegut

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Tue May 26, 2015 10:50 am

Spike_Goldman wrote:IMR 4227 should give you good results, it's just a bit slower than 2400. I would still look at H110 and 296. What was your concern with these powders and hard cast bullets? As long as I've used a decent gas check, I have not had problems loading or shooting hard cast in my 357 lever gun.
I'd recommend AA9. It's very close in burn rate to 2400 but it's a low flash powder. I use it in the 357 mag as well as the 41 mag and also in the 10mm Auto. Try it. I think you'll be pleased with the results. another thing that's nice about it is that like 2400, it's a very stable and predictable powder whether you load it up or down. With H110/296 you have to stick with max loads only.

In the smaller 10mm case it's a slower burning powder than most others used in that cartridge and is useful for obtaining the highest velocities with heavy bullets
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

upnorth
Gun Trader

Post by upnorth » Tue May 26, 2015 7:41 pm

Cool thanks for the ideas. I just read that 110/296 was not real forgiving and I was kind of hoping to not use gas checks. I want to throw charges and still want magnum speeds. I have some 4227 but I wasn't sure it was the best choice. It left a lot of kernels all over my gun and barrel. I crimped them a little more and it didn't change much. Super accurate tho and recoil was minimal. Aa#9 sounds like an option. Is it readily available?

Astocks2622
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Howell, MI
Favorite Firearm: Witness Stock 1 10mm
Next Firearm: 338-06 or 35 Whelen

Post by Astocks2622 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:15 pm

white elephant hasn't had ANY Accurate powders for months. bummer as #2 is my 380/9mm target powder, #7 is my 9mm hot powder, & #9 is my 10mm SD load powder. I do use Win 296 for 180 gr hardcast 357 mag max loads, & it does well, but I hand weigh those ones...
Always looking for 7mm Mauser & 10mm brass.

"A man is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Wed May 27, 2015 5:06 pm

upnorth wrote:It's been over a year since I found alliant 2400 for my 357. I'm shooting oregon trail 158gr hard cast(22-24hardness). I need something I can find locally. I went for some 296/h110 but chickened out because of reviews on based hard cast 357. Is there another alternative that's worth a crap?
What reviews would these be? H-110/WW296 (same powder) has for many years been THE single best powder for full house madnum handgun loads, with either cast or jacketed bullets. I load both 158gr XTP's and hard cast 158gr SWC's over a stout charge of H-110 and have had completely splendid results. In my 44 I use H-110 under a hard cast 255gr SWC. If you want to wring out all your 357n (or 41,44, 45colt, etc) has to offer H-110/WW296 is the way to go.
Someone is telling you a tall tale if they are telling you that you cant use H-110 with hard cast bullets.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

upnorth
Gun Trader

Post by upnorth » Wed May 27, 2015 7:14 pm

I,just want to throw charges and I didn't want a powder that I had to worry about plus or minus .2 gr. I don't know how it meters. I just know 2400 is forgiving. Not completely writing this powder off and if you guys like it enough I'll give it a shot. I miss shooting my 357.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Thu May 28, 2015 7:47 am

upnorth wrote:I,just want to throw charges and I didn't want a powder that I had to worry about plus or minus .2 gr. I don't know how it meters. I just know 2400 is forgiving. Not completely writing this powder off and if you guys like it enough I'll give it a shot. I miss shooting my 357.
Oh worry not about using your powder measure with H-110. it meters just fine! As to forgiveness, its is as good or bad as anything when playing with max loads. What you describe though would be a potential swing of nearly a 1/2 grain and If your measure is varying this much charge to charge I would suspect that something is a miss with either technique or the measure itself. That much would indeed have the potential to be an issue at top end. My basic RCBS unit will rarely vary .1gr total charge to charge and this has never caused the slightest issue with either my 357 or 44 with max loads.

2400 is a great powder so I am not trying to convert you to H-110, but if H-110/WW296 is available and 2400 is not then you are needlessly missing out on some shooting fun. I would happily give you a little H-110 to try out if you would like. Run it through your measure and see how it meters. Load a few rounds and try it out. If you want to try it risk free just PM me and we will arragnge it.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

upnorth
Gun Trader

Post by upnorth » Thu May 28, 2015 8:01 am

Ha thanks for the offer I think I will just go buy a pound and give it a shot. I got to thinking I switched to the pistol drum on my uniflow since I had throwing problems. I haven't loaded pistol with it to see how much better it is now. I have a chargemaster also that I could use.
Thx for the tips. It's funny how the Internet can get you all flustered with opinions.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Fri May 29, 2015 2:40 pm

upnorth wrote:Ha thanks for the offer I think I will just go buy a pound and give it a shot. I got to thinking I switched to the pistol drum on my uniflow since I had throwing problems. I haven't loaded pistol with it to see how much better it is now. I have a chargemaster also that I could use.
Thx for the tips. It's funny how the Internet can get you all flustered with opinions.
Blue dot also works well in the 357 magnum if you can find any of that. the RCBS uniflow is an xlnt powder measure. I usually load 50 or 100 at a time and after every ten rounds I check the powder charges with the scale. With the uniflow the charge never varies but I still check anyway.

Blue dot will not give the absolute highest velocities but it will come very close and it will do it with a smaller charge of powder so you can get more loads out of a pound of Blue dot than you will with slower powders.

4227 is also very good and just don't pay any attention to the unburnt crumbs of powder. The small amount of "crumbs" it leaves behind will not effect the functioning of your handgun and then when you're done shooting one pass with a bore brush or even a bore snake will get rid of them and an old toothbrush wil get them out of any nooks and crannys and what really works good for cleaning gun is compressed air.

I think some people are just too "fussy" about powders that burn "dirty." Try shooting a cap and ball pistol if you want to know what dirty really is.
Last edited by ron on Fri May 29, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

upnorth
Gun Trader

Post by upnorth » Fri May 29, 2015 2:56 pm

Great points. I am only in my second year reloading. It's easy to get caught up in the useless stuff especially for my shooting level. I found that out with rifle loads. You can chase your tail. I liked how the 4227 performed for sure I guess that's what really matters.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Sun May 31, 2015 1:24 pm

upnorth wrote:Great points. I am only in my second year reloading. It's easy to get caught up in the useless stuff especially for my shooting level. I found that out with rifle loads. You can chase your tail. I liked how the 4227 performed for sure I guess that's what really matters.
Everything "matters", but accuracy is what matters the most. And you don't get any extra points for "neatness" by using a "cleaner" burning powder. 8-) And yes, a good crimp helps with any load in the 44 mag.