Best place locally for reloading supplies?

Discuss all things reloading...
Forum rules
Please remember, reloading can be very dangerous if done improperly. All advice found here is from peer members, not official reloading manuals. Reload at your own risk.
Nievo
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
Favorite Firearm: CZ 75
Next Firearm: AR-50

Best place locally for reloading supplies?

Post by Nievo » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:33 pm

Just ordered my first reloading press and working on getting organized and figuring out what to get! I think I have most of my powder/primer decisions made but trying to figure out where to purchase. What is the best local place you guys have found for reloading supplies? I know Black Sheep over here as a huge selection but it seems like since they moved to the new store their prices are out of hand. I don't mind driving a little ways if it will save some money.

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Best place locally for reloading supplies?

Post by thumpar » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:57 pm

For bullet I would order from Rocky Mountain Reloading. They are based out of the Lewiston area but their prices include priority shipping. I think Black Sheep is probably going to be your best bet for powder and primers since there is a haz-mat shipping fee on them. White Elephant has decent prices but would be a drive for you.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

Badger
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane, WA
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Badger » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:00 pm

For quality hard-cast bullets check out ccastings. They are out of town, but all prices include shipping. I buy from them and am always happy. I've not been able to find a better deal anywhere.

http://www.ccastings.com/

rgg16g
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Melbourne
State: FL

Post by rgg16g » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:47 pm

Contact Brown Dog in Athol, http://www.browndoggunsmithing.com/ He has been at the gun shows lately and is beating everybody's powder prices. Show before last in Post Falls I got a 8lb keg of Unique for about $160 out the door. His 8lb kegs are all about $150 before tax and he had a lot of powder, Alliant, IMR, Hodgedn 8/4/1 lb containers. I assume you could just go by his shop in Athol too to pick up. He had primers too of various types but I don't remember the prices.

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: The one I have on me
Next Firearm: We'll see

Post by BC38 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:39 pm

FWIW, I've been pretty pleased with Xtreme bullets. They have a broader selection than Rocky Mountain, and their prices are about the same when you take advantage of their free shipping OR their frequent 5% discount combined with their regular $5 shipping. The only way Rocky Mountain is cheaper is if you are wanting to buy more than 1000 at a time.
That is assuming you want lead or plated. Xtreme doesn't offer any jacketed bullets.
Always looking for a deal on more ammo and reloading components.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

greatbob6
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: CZ P-09
Next Firearm: 1911

Post by greatbob6 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:49 pm

As already mentioned, White Elephant has a good selection of equipment but is a ways away from you. FYI, all my experience is with the Division store, I've never been to the valley one.

mdo
Favorite Firearm: Mark 2
Next Firearm: ammo

Post by mdo » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:11 pm

I have found online places like Graf's or Powder Valley much cheaper even if you make smallish bulk purchases. An example, a lot of their pistol powders are around $20 and 1000 count pistol primers are under $30. Locally the cheapest I've found pistol powders is about $30 after taxes and primers around $35 per 1000. So even if you just bought 4 pounds of powder online you'd be even after hazmat and shipping. Add in primers and you are way ahead, especially since out of state purchases don't charge sales tax. And it's all delivered to your front door.

A recent example is a few friends and I just went in on a bulk purchase of 16 pounds of powder and 30,000 primers. It was one hazmat fee and we saved at least $300 over what we could buy locally.

That being said, I try to support the local brick and mortar stores when possible but have found their selection in the last few years to be erratic. If you do decide to buy locally definitely call before you make the drive.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:56 pm

For reloading supplies like dies, casting furnaces, bullet pullers, stuff like that, White elephant on Division is good but haven't dealt much with WE in the valley on E Sprague. The Elephant will also order things for you if it's a brand they stock like Lee and they don't have it in stock and it will take about 15 days but you won't have to pay shipping and with powder you won't have to pay hazmat.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:16 pm

ron wrote:For reloading supplies like dies, casting furnaces, bullet pullers, stuff like that, White elephant on Division is good but haven't dealt much with WE in the valley on E Sprague. The Elephant will also order things for you if it's a brand they stock like Lee and they don't have it in stock and it will take about 15 days but you won't have to pay shipping and with powder you won't have to pay hazmat.
FWIW from me, and I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but as to Ron's mention of the two WE stores, it has been my continued experience that if you are looking for something , esspcially something odd, and need help finding it, the division store has always provided me with substantially better customer service than the valley store. I will still shop either one, but given choice I'll opt for the drive to division st whenever time allows.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:56 pm

scrappy wrote:
ron wrote:For reloading supplies like dies, casting furnaces, bullet pullers, stuff like that, White elephant on Division is good but haven't dealt much with WE in the valley on E Sprague. The Elephant will also order things for you if it's a brand they stock like Lee and they don't have it in stock and it will take about 15 days but you won't have to pay shipping and with powder you won't have to pay hazmat.
FWIW from me, and I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but as to Ron's mention of the two WE stores, it has been my continued experience that if you are looking for something , esspcially something odd, and need help finding it, the division store has always provided me with substantially better customer service than the valley store. I will still shop either one, but given choice I'll opt for the drive to division st whenever time allows.
I only mentioned the E. Sprague store because the OP lives in Idaho and it's closer to him. But that brings up a good point. We shouldn't be afraid to drive a few miles out of our way for better service, better product availability and better prices. I live in Cheney but I never hesitate to make the drive out to Northwest pawn on Pines or All American guns on Trent because those are both businesses with customer service that is above and beyond the norm. As for people who live in Idaho or out in the Valley it is well worth driving into Spokane to not only go to the Elephant on division, but Army Surplus on division and Best buy surplus on Sprague.

And sometimes Cabelas has something I want but I try to work it so I have less than a tank of gas so I can fill up over there, and then I also plan on visiting NW Pawn and all American on the same trip. Monday I have business out in the valley near pines so I plan on visiting all three of those locations on the same day.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.