223 reloading help

Discuss all things reloading...
Forum rules
Please remember, reloading can be very dangerous if done improperly. All advice found here is from peer members, not official reloading manuals. Reload at your own risk.
mattvlmarshall
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Ar 15
Next Firearm: Ar 15

223 reloading help

Post by mattvlmarshall » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:02 pm

What's up guys,
I'm need some help, I've been reloading 223 for about a year and just ran into an issue. I've been resizing my brass with just rcbs 223 neck sizing die and have run into an issue with the brass not being seated into the chamber of my ar all the way and it gets stuck in there like an unloved case in a die. The weird thing is that it passes a chamber check gage perfect. I'll just bought a small be resizing die but those to pass the chamber check devise. What could be tneissue? The bolt is what iwas thinking but it just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue, if not what could it be!

Thanks for the help in advance!

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: 223 reloading help

Post by thumpar » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:47 pm

Try a full length size die. Are you trimming the cases?
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

mattvlmarshall

Post by mattvlmarshall » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:17 am

Yes they are trimmed the the right lenght. What is the difference between the small base die and full lenght die? I have the small base die I just ran all my brass through it but I'm still worries that the btass will jam in my rifle

Lanyard
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Otis Orchards
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Flattop Blackhawk
Next Firearm: 1911
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Lanyard » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:15 pm

A small base die will reduce the case body diameter near the head more than a conventional resizing die. RCBS offers SB dies. I know that Lee does offer SB dies. They feel that there standard die provides enough sizing for semi auto rifles. I do not agree with the good folks at Lee regarding this.

mattvlmarshall

Post by mattvlmarshall » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:18 pm

I just spent the day going through a bunch of rounds and ran them through the small base die with lots of lube, and cycled about 50 rounds through amd not one jammed up so I think I may may solved my own problem I appreciate all the words of wisdom. I enjoy getting all the info I can on reloading.