Casting for 223

Discuss all things reloading...
Forum rules
Please remember, reloading can be very dangerous if done improperly. All advice found here is from peer members, not official reloading manuals. Reload at your own risk.
ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Casting for 223

Post by ghillieinthemist » Tue May 16, 2017 7:03 pm

I found some old topics on casting but I'd like some recent or current info on accuracy of lead cast bullets for and AR15. If any one has some do's and don'ts or best mold to use. Anything would be a great starting point
Do or do not there is no try.

feilerma
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Mead
Favorite Firearm: 1911a1
Next Firearm: 1903a3

Re: Casting for 223

Post by feilerma » Fri May 19, 2017 8:23 am

I'm don't believe lead cast bullets are a viable option for the AR platform due to lead fouling of the gas system. Too bad too because it would sure save us a ton of money.
Cum Catapultae Proscriptae Erunt Tum Soli Proscripti Catapultas Habebunt
(If catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)

Lanyard
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Otis Orchards
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Flattop Blackhawk
Next Firearm: 1911
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Lanyard » Fri May 19, 2017 6:05 pm

If might be possible to run a .224 dia bullet if you chose a good design that is gas checked along with a good high speed lube (I use Rooster Red ) and a bullet made up of a hard alloy. For .30 carbine I use a lead mixture of 60% wheel weights and 40% lino type. It's hard, so hard that the bullets shatter when you shoot steel! But there is no leading. Granted that these bullets are only moving out of the barrel at about 1500 FPS. I think you might fine it better to use a cast .224 bullet out of a bolt action or a break action. It's worth a try! You might also clog up an AR's gas tube on the down side. Good luck in what ever direction you choose to go.

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ghillieinthemist » Fri May 19, 2017 10:56 pm

I've been watching elvis ammo on youtube and runs lead ammo through his AR regularly. that's kind of why I'm asking. The bullets he makes are powder coated...maybe that has something to do with it working so well for him.

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ghillieinthemist » Wed May 31, 2017 3:26 pm

If your interested in lead casting powder coated bullets for the AR platform check out Elvis Ammo and Fortunecookie45lc. I'm going to give it a shot this summer.