badorderbob
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Post Falls
State: Idaho
Favorite Firearm: clips
Next Firearm: hi-cap clips

.22 suppressed accuracy

Post by badorderbob » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:00 pm

what is to be expected when you put a can on a .22 ?? rifle and pistol info please

Nomad
City: Moscow, ID
Favorite Firearm: CZ-75 P-07
Next Firearm: M1A Scout Squad

Re: .22 suppressed accuracy

Post by Nomad » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:58 pm

I've seen no reduction in accuracy when using a silencer, and this is true for the three suppressed .22s that I owned: Savage Mark II FV-SR, S&W 15-22, and Ruger 22/45. All you should really expect is for it to get really quiet. A bolt will be quieter than a semi-auto due to the closed action as well as the lack of action noise. In my experience the 22/45 is louder than either of the two rifles, although this may not be true of a P22 (less metal). I don't know. Haven't tried one. Also, noise tends to be inversely proportional to barrel length. Shorter barrels are louder. This is because the powder has more time to burn up in a longer barrel, so you get less of it combusting (creating noise and flash) outside of the barrel-- in the suppressor, but it still adds to the noise.
How strange is that clinging love we have of life even in the excess of misery.

badorderbob
Accomplished Gun Trader

Post by badorderbob » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:27 pm

Nomad wrote:I've seen no reduction in accuracy when using a silencer, and this is true for the three suppressed .22s that I owned: Savage Mark II FV-SR, S&W 15-22, and Ruger 22/45. All you should really expect is for it to get really quiet. A bolt will be quieter than a semi-auto due to the closed action as well as the lack of action noise. In my experience the 22/45 is louder than either of the two rifles, although this may not be true of a P22 (less metal). I don't know. Haven't tried one. Also, noise tends to be inversely proportional to barrel length. Shorter barrels are louder. This is because the powder has more time to burn up in a longer barrel, so you get less of it combusting (creating noise and flash) outside of the barrel-- in the suppressor, but it still adds to the noise.

thanks for the heads up!

Nomad
City: Moscow, ID
Favorite Firearm: CZ-75 P-07
Next Firearm: M1A Scout Squad

Post by Nomad » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:20 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention.. you'll likely see a slight point-of-impact shift (relative to your unsuppressed zero) when you first attach the silencer. You're going to mess with harmonics any time you hang something off the end of the barrel. However, any quality suppressor will give you consistent PoA/PoI once you re-zero, so all you have to do is re-zero your weapon with the silencer on and you're good to go. You won't have to keep zeroing it every time you put the suppressor on, though--assuming your can has a quality mounting system and goes on the same way every time, you can freely put it on/take it off.

Another thing I forgot to add is that you'll suddenly care a lot more about subsonic vs supersonic rounds through a suppressed weapon. Rounds like CCI MiniMag will be subsonic through most handguns but supersonic through most rifles. It's easy enough to just use supersonic only in a handgun and keep the same zero, but if you decide to switch between supers and subs in a rifle then you may have two different zeros. In most cases the difference will just be an inch or two, and easily corrected for manually.
How strange is that clinging love we have of life even in the excess of misery.

painkilleraz
Rookie Member
City: spokane, washington
Favorite Firearm: glock19
Next Firearm: sub2000glock

Post by painkilleraz » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:47 am

I agree, poa will shift, drop at times or raise...depends on setup but never noticed decreased accuracy.
I use a a walther p22 with 5" barrel and have one with the 3.4" as well as a ruger mkII - handguns are beautiful :)

badorderbob
Accomplished Gun Trader

Post by badorderbob » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:01 pm

thanks for all the great info