Clydedog
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Coeur d'Alene
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: AMD-65
Next Firearm: Tavor X95

My take on the Savage FV-SR...

Post by Clydedog » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:03 pm

...Here's my Savage MKll FV-SR in her new party dress. What I did was to transplant all the FV-SR goodness (fluted bull barrel, accu-trigger, oversize bolt handle, ect) into a stock that looks and feels dramatically better. The stock is a Blaser airsoft stock picked up from the bargain basement of one of the bigger online airsoft dealers ( I forget which one), for about $60.00. What I got from them was basically a parts kit, a used airsoft rifle with messed up internals....

...The Blaser airsoft is made up of polymer clamshells that clamp together over a very ridged aluminum spine. Once the airsoft internals where removed from the spine, the Savage was dropped down on the spine and the needed dremel work was done to match up the 2 Savage receiver mounting posts to the Blaser spine. The stock Savage mounting screws are too short for the Blaser spine so Brownell's provided me with longer mounting screws...

...Once the Savage receiver was mated up with the Blaser spine, the next step was to dremel out the stock to allow the bolt to cycle. In the Blaser (the real one as well as the airsoft), the bolt slides backwards and forwards without rotating. After couple minutes with Mr. Dremel, the savage bolt cycles as it should. The two sides were then screwed back together and the next problem popped up...

...The Blaser stock has the two clamshell halves that screw together. On the bottom is an aluminum strip that forms the trigger guard and the bottom of the stock. This part need Mr. Dremel's attention to allow the magazine to get popped into the Savage receiver, as well as room to get your finger up to the magazine release. Once this was done, there was only one last issue, the Savage magazines,,,

...The stock 5 round Savage magazines are too short to work with the Blaser stock. The Savage 10 round magazines are also too short. To get around this, I did a ghetto mag pull mod to the magazines using paracord, zip ties and black electrical tape. The center strands of the paracord were replaced by a cut down zip tie (to give the loop some stiffness) and the loop was then taped to the magazine. The loop is the perfect size for an index finger...

...The last two details were adding a BSA Sweet 22 scope and the bipod from the FV-SR stock. Overall, This project was a satisfying one. If you're good with a Dremel, it's not that tough of a swap. I really like the ergos and the look of this stock compared to flexible and somewhat bland looking stock that came on this awesome shooting rimfire. The FV-SR is now a couple pounds heavier that it was from the factory but, seeing's how this is a bench rifle, it really doesn't matter...

Nutntoit
Global Moderator
City: Valleyford
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 19
Next Firearm: ??
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: My take on the Savage FV-SR...

Post by Nutntoit » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:58 pm

That's pretty cool. The FV-SR is one of my favorite guns to shoot. It always puts a smile on my face.