Pacific5th
Serious Gun Trader
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Depends...
Next Firearm: To many.

Rimfire scopes

Post by Pacific5th » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:47 am

I bought my "kids" a Ruger American Compact 22LR and I'm thinking I will scope it. I really do not like the Ruger stock rear sights and always change them on my 10/22's. Anyways I do not know much about scopes as I have always been a iron sight or red dot user. From doing my internet research it seems like the general consensus is a fixed 4 power or a 2x7. We will mostly be using this rifle for target shooting and plinking. So far I am looking at Leapolds fixed 4 power and there 2x7 rimfire options. Vortex keeps coming up too and yesterday I get email from midway with a Bushnell AR rimfire 2x7 for $97 bucks. Anything else I should look at guys? Your help is appreciated.

Mr Yuck
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Ruger MKII
Next Firearm: Sig Sauer Trailside

Re: Rimfire scopes

Post by Mr Yuck » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:34 am

Check out this one:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS- ... 826665.uts
I bought mine when it was on sale for $50. Good clear glass, holds zero, and is easy to adjust.

timbertiger
Gun Trader
City: Post Falls

Post by timbertiger » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:48 pm

Go Vortex........kids are hard on scopes! Nice to never have to buy another one...........unless you really want to!

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by hatchdog » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:22 am

Nikon makes a nice rimfire scope, I have the 3-9x40 on my 22 wmr and my wife has the same on her lr (both Ruger American Rimfires BTW). She previously had the Leupold (4x28mm) you mentioned but she got scope envy when I put the Nikon 40mm on my rifle. The 4X should be fine for your kids but the 3-9X is better for us "older" folks with failing eyes. :D

KRD
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by KRD » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:29 am

The BSA Sweet 22 3X9 is a good value scope for $50 or so.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:57 pm

hatchdog wrote:Nikon makes a nice rimfire scope, I have the 3-9x40 on my 22 wmr and my wife has the same on her lr (both Ruger American Rimfires BTW). She previously had the Leupold (4x28mm) you mentioned but she got scope envy when I put the Nikon 40mm on my rifle. The 4X should be fine for your kids but the 3-9X is better for us "older" folks with failing eyes. :D

I got a Nikon for my 10-22 because I liked the BDC Reticle calculated for 50-75, 100, 125, and 150 yards. But I didn't read the fine print. It's not calculated for standared hi-speed 22 LR ammo, like 35 or 40 grain cci Minimags or 40 grain Blazers or any othe standard 1200 fps hi-speed ammo, but instead It's calculated for dumbass 30 grain hyper-velocity Stingers and Yellow jackets and none of that stuff is accurate in my gun and it's expensive and hard to find.

But in all practicality, unless you have a rangefinder and you're only guessing at the range anyway, after using the scope for a while you find that it gives you a pretty rood estimate of holdover at those ranges with NORMAL ammo. The are about $125-150 and they are good quality optics.

I also found that using CCI Velocitors which develops 1550 fps with a 40 grain bullet and is very accurate ammo in a every gun I've tried it in, the 125 yard mark is about right for 150 yards and zero'd for 50 yards with standard ammo you need to hold under just abit.Also all scope calibrations are at 9 power magnification. I think with any BDC Reticle the only way it can be accurate for your gun is through actual field use and practice.

I have a Belgian made Browning SA-22 and I have a Leopold 2x7 on that. A rifle like that can not have a cheap scope on it. I was shooting that gun just today with Blazers and mini-mags and damn, is that gun accurate. You wouldn't think so because it's a take-down with a thin barrel, but it's just a quality gun.

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Pacific5th
Serious Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: Depends...
Next Firearm: To many.

Post by Pacific5th » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:16 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am looking into everything suggested. I had a great offer on a 4x Leupold but shortly after I posted this the household went to hell. Well at least I will have all the info I need before I purchess, whenever that may be.