JMcKinsey
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W 586
Next Firearm: winchester 150/250

Federal auto match

Post by JMcKinsey » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:16 pm

the Walmart on Sprague are selling 325 round brick of federal auto match $17.42 no limit. I spoke with the guy in sporting goods and they and a pallet in the back and are receiving another 36000 rounds tomorrow. We may be coming to an end of the shortage and people profiteering.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Re: Federal auto match

Post by ron » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:17 pm

I hope we are coming to the end of the Obama-induced shortages. But I have not had good luck with this federal auto match ammo in the 325 count boxes prior to the shortages.

I had one box that had 10 duds out of the the first 30 shots. I thought of returning the ammo to the store and eventually the manufacturer but I hadn't saved my receipt. So I went back and bought a second box and saved the receipt for that and it had about the same 30 percent or more of the duds that the first box had. Then I never got around to taking the ammo back and the shortage hit and I've been using it to plink with.

I'm not saying that this ammo is Junk now and forever more. Maybe it's actually very rare that they ever have bad lots of it. But now that the ammo companies are working overtime to catch up with supply, Now would actually be a more likely for any of the ammo companies to have Quality Control problems than before.

If I can get to the store when they have this I might try a box and see if it's any good. But I WILL save my receipt.

And to clarify, when I say that I had "duds" they were not complete misfires, though I might have had one or two of those out of the whole 325 count boxes. I'd have the gun go "BANG!, BANG!, pop." or "BANG! BANG! bang." The ones that ewen't pop would not cycle the action on a Ruger 10-22 charger or a Marlin model 60. the ones that were only half as loud as normal sometimes would sometimes not cycle. and groups became patterns with all the flyers.

I've had those same exact problems with Remington thunderbolt Ammo as well and I'd never buy more than 50 rounds at a time of that ammo and if I ever do and I have the same problems I'm through trying with that stuff. Back in the '60's 70's and 80's when I was shooting a lot of 22 ammo I never had duds with any ammo that I ever tried. either the gun liked and shot it accurately or it didn't. But the best ammo overall since it first appeared in the 1970's has been CCI and that's what I like to stick with.
Last edited by ron on Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

WestSpokaneguy
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: kimber
Next Firearm: ???

Post by WestSpokaneguy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:29 pm

Ya get what you pay for i have a few boxes of fed match but i shot cci i think it was you that told me to try the volictors i fot a box at gun show to try for way to much but then genral store had a bunch so i grabbed a few boxes and was planning to swing back in the next day and grab more but the guy at the store told me right after i left some one came in and got every box of volcitors they had i hate the limits but i hate it more when one person grabs 30 boxes of ammo to them selfs

BC38
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: The one I have on me
Next Firearm: We'll see

Post by BC38 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:40 am

WestSpokaneguy wrote:Ya get what you pay for i have a few boxes of fed match but i shot cci i think it was you that told me to try the volictors i fot a box at gun show to try for way to much but then genral store had a bunch so i grabbed a few boxes and was planning to swing back in the next day and grab more but the guy at the store told me right after i left some one came in and got every box of volcitors they had i hate the limits but i hate it more when one person grabs 30 boxes of ammo to them selfs
How else are they gonna sell it for "way too much" if they don't clear out the shelf so you can't get any unless you pay their price and buy it from them? :mad:
Flippers gotta eat too ya know. :roll:
Always looking for a deal on more ammo and reloading components.
I've tried to see things from the liberal point of view - but I'm just not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:20 am

BC38 wrote:
WestSpokaneguy wrote:Ya get what you pay for i have a few boxes of fed match but i shot cci i think it was you that told me to try the volictors i fot a box at gun show to try for way to much but then genral store had a bunch so i grabbed a few boxes and was planning to swing back in the next day and grab more but the guy at the store told me right after i left some one came in and got every box of volcitors they had i hate the limits but i hate it more when one person grabs 30 boxes of ammo to them selfs
How else are they gonna sell it for "way too much" if they don't clear out the shelf so you can't get any unless you pay their price and buy it from them? :mad:
Flippers gotta eat too ya know. :roll:
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as Worms."--The outlaw Josey Wales
Last edited by ron on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

RRA629
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney WA
Favorite Firearm: RRA Operator
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by RRA629 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:56 pm

Did anyone go to tonight? Any left? I might try airway heights tomorrow.

nivlak
Serious Gun Trader
City: Spokane
Next Firearm: Barrett

Post by nivlak » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:11 am

Should have plenty left. I bought a few boxes Friday at the sprague walmart and they had plenty in the case and in the back according to the employee. If you can't find any I can part with a box or two at cost. I have plenty for now :mrgreen:

Coug91
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: 1911's and AR15's

Post by Coug91 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:19 pm

I've had good luck with the 325 and 525 bulk Federal 22LR in my guns - 10/22, AR22, MKIII. They all like it.

Picked up 5 boxes yesterday afternoon. Surprisingly, I was the only one there buying 22LR. Couple guys buying a box of 40SW and a guy picking up a 243 Remington rifle.

They had a sign in the ammo case that said, "We have LOTS of 22LR ammo. Please ask an associate for assistance." Maybe the drought is over, inshallah
Fortuna Favet Fortibus.

When you run out of valid things to say, there's always insults.

WestSpokaneguy
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: kimber
Next Firearm: ???

Post by WestSpokaneguy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:14 pm

Just left there they still have alot left

RRA629
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney WA
Favorite Firearm: RRA Operator

Post by RRA629 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:25 pm

The one near costco had some left at lunch today. Limit 3.

None in airway.