Discuss all things rimfire...
ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Savage MK II rifle

Post by ghillieinthemist » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:53 pm

I've owned a lot of ruger 10/22's and Marlin Model 60 and all the variants of each. These are probably two of the best 22 rifles you can buy in terms of popularity and functionality.

I picked up this Savage MK II at a gun shop in Jefferson City TN. I have to tell you. I like it. I like it enough to never buy anything else. When all is said and done the my Ruger's don't need all the crap I have put on them in the past. The innards if the Marlin are just a bit more complex and troublesome than I prefer.

This savage cashed out at 107.00 out the door. I'll never buy anything else in the future. I guess I don't need the customization options that come with the Ruger or the micro groove barrel that comes with the marlin. This savage will do just fine for whatever I would need it for the future.

I might go back and pick up the other two they had there for the same price and sell my other 22's for ammo shopping spree. Who knows.

I do have Model 10's in .243 and .308.
Do or do not there is no try.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Re: Savage MK II rifle

Post by ron » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:23 pm

ghillieinthemist wrote:I've owned a lot of ruger 10/22's and Marlin Model 60 and all the variants of each. These are probably two of the best 22 rifles you can buy in terms of popularity and functionality.

I picked up this Savage MK II at a gun shop in Jefferson City TN. I have to tell you. I like it. I like it enough to never buy anything else. When all is said and done the my Ruger's don't need all the crap I have put on them in the past. The innards if the Marlin are just a bit more complex and troublesome than I prefer.

This savage cashed out at 107.00 out the door. I'll never buy anything else in the future. I guess I don't need the customization options that come with the Ruger or the micro groove barrel that comes with the marlin. This savage will do just fine for whatever I would need it for the future.

I might go back and pick up the other two they had there for the same price and sell my other 22's for ammo shopping spree. Who knows.

I do have Model 10's in .243 and .308.
I have two Savage rimfire magnum model 93's in 17 HMR, blued with the bull barrel and the synthetic stock, an another one in 22 mag stainless with the bull barrel and the synthetic stock and I'd like to get a Mark II FV 22 LR with the bull barrel and the synthetic stock to complete the set, and also I need a bolt gun so I can shoot standard velocity ammo which I also use in my Ruger Mark II pistol and it won't feed reliably in my semi-autos.

I don't much like the marlin model 60'as for the reasons you mentioned, but I love the 10-22 and I own two of them, just basic carbines and no aftermarket parts but I would like to have a trigger job done on them. The one with the wood stock has open sights and the one with the synthetic stock is scoped. I also have a Ruger 10-22 charger and it has an aftermarket barrel and a trigger job and is just incredibly accurate. I also have a Belgian Browning ATD with a Leopold scope that is also very accurate. I agree that a good 22 bolt action is all you need but the semi-autos are just plain more fun to shoot!
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ghillieinthemist » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:06 pm

I absolutely agree they are more fun to shoot. I think my whole idea of fun has slightly changed over the past few years. It used to be fun to go unload 1000 rounds of 22lr. now it's fun to just go shoot 100 rounds out of a bolt action 22lr. I think it's because my boys are starting to shoot and I don't want them to catch on to any bad habits...I think. They are making me a better marksman, cause I don't want to go act like a jackass in front of them by unloading a 30 round mag as fast as I can. it's been fun to hit the mark on the first shot and be done. I'll mess with their scopes and make them resight it in. That's the fun stuff now just getting out there is the fun stuff.

Nutntoit
Global Moderator
City: Valleyford
Favorite Firearm: Glock 19
Next Firearm: ??
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Nutntoit » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:13 pm

I have had 4 mk II rifles, and they were all incredibly accurate. As Ron mentioned being a bolt action the guns will feed any ammo you give them. I have even fed 22shorts through the factory 22lr magazines. That being said the 1 gun I will never sell is my 10/22. That gun puts the same grin on my face everytime I shoot it. I have probably put 10-20 thousand rounds through it, and I still love it.

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ghillieinthemist » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:01 pm

agreed. I'll always have my 10/22 I'll take it out once in a while I guess but my MkII is now my favorite. also...I can shoot the CCI quiets out of it. They don't have enough nuts to push my bolt back in my 10/22.

Nutntoit
Global Moderator

Post by Nutntoit » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:43 pm

ghillieinthemist wrote:I can shoot the CCI quiets out of it. They don't have enough nuts to push my bolt back in my 10/22.
This is also one of my favorite things about the mark II. The quiets and the cb shorts make the rifle sound like a pellet gun.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:38 pm

Nutntoit wrote:
ghillieinthemist wrote:I can shoot the CCI quiets out of it. They don't have enough nuts to push my bolt back in my 10/22.
This is also one of my favorite things about the mark II. The quiets and the cb shorts make the rifle sound like a pellet gun.
"Man cannot live with by 10/22 alone" I have 2 10/22's and a 10/22 Charger. I also have a very nice Belgian Browning ATD. (Automatic Take-Down) But I need a good bolt action 22. I used to have a nice Remington 540 but I sold it when I needed money. Now I want a Mark II FV. That's the synthetic stock model with the heavy barrel. I already have two synthetic stock heavy barrel models in 22 mag and 17 HMR mag. Both are very accurate, especially the 17.

Buds Guns has the Mk II FV for $198.00 But I might be able to talk someone locally who carries Savage rifles to order me one for a similar price even if I have to pay $ 20-30 bucks more, Buds charges $25 bucks xtra and then you have to pay for FFL. -- MSRP is $242.00
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Nutntoit
Global Moderator

Post by Nutntoit » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:31 am

ron wrote: "Man cannot live with by 10/22 alone" I have 2 10/22's and a 10/22 Charger. I also have a very nice Belgian Browning ATD. (Automatic Take-Down) But I need a good bolt action 22. I used to have a nice Remington 540 but I sold it when I needed money. Now I want a Mark II FV. That's the synthetic stock model with the heavy barrel. I already have two synthetic stock heavy barrel models in 22 mag and 17 HMR mag. Both are very accurate, especially the 17.

Buds Guns has the Mk II FV for $198.00 But I might be able to talk someone locally who carries Savage rifles to order me one for a similar price even if I have to pay $ 20-30 bucks more, Buds charges $25 bucks xtra and then you have to pay for FFL. -- MSRP is $242.00
Ron try Bi-Mart, they carry the FV in 22lr and often have them on sale for really good prices. I was able to pick up a Savage 111 there for under $200. They will also order just about any savage for you. They might price match too.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:55 pm

Nutntoit wrote:
ron wrote: "Man cannot live with by 10/22 alone" I have 2 10/22's and a 10/22 Charger. I also have a very nice Belgian Browning ATD. (Automatic Take-Down) But I need a good bolt action 22. I used to have a nice Remington 540 but I sold it when I needed money. Now I want a Mark II FV. That's the synthetic stock model with the heavy barrel. I already have two synthetic stock heavy barrel models in 22 mag and 17 HMR mag. Both are very accurate, especially the 17.

Ron try Bi-Mart, they carry the FV in 22lr and often have them on sale for really good prices. I was able to pick up a Savage 111 there for under $200. They will also order just about any savage for you. They might price match too.
Thanks. That's where I got my other two Savages MK II FV's in 17 HMR and 22 mag but both were on sale. I hadn't thought about price matching, though.

Nutntoit
Global Moderator

Post by Nutntoit » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:53 pm

ron wrote: Thanks. That's where I got my other two Savages MK II FV's in 17 HMR and 22 mag but both were on sale. I hadn't thought about price matching, though.
Worth asking at least! You can probably even get the FVXP that comes with a bushnell 3-9x scope already mounted and boresighted. It's a pretty decent scope for a .22.