Discuss all things rimfire...
Astocks2622
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Howell, MI
Favorite Firearm: Witness Stock 1 10mm
Next Firearm: 338-06 or 35 Whelen

favorite .22 pistol?

Post by Astocks2622 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:57 pm

I am in the market for a new 22 pistol, & want some input on people's favorites. I've been spoiled for the last 5 years & had my great grandpa's colt huntsman to use. It is the most accurate handgun I have ever fired, & I've shot a good number. I attribute that to the sweet single action trigger. I had to give it back to my father for the time being... I want something that has a great trigger, is reliable, & under $450.
options?
Always looking for 7mm Mauser & 10mm brass.

"A man is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Stiff
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: MBA Gyrojet Pistol
Next Firearm: Spyra Water Blaster
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: favorite .22 pistol?

Post by Stiff » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:51 pm

Nice topic!

It seems I have always had a fondness for the Browning Buckmark and the little Ruger Bearcat personally.
I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:58 pm

It has to be the Ruger mark series at the top for me. That was the first handgun I ever shot when I was a kid. I think my dad still has it. For a more modern handgun I like the Walther P22.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

Vindic8
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: WC EDC X9

Post by Vindic8 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:13 pm

I picked up a Ruger Mk II used a few years back. Very accurate little gun. Also it has been a platform for my kids to start shooting handguns.

Wigeon
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: Beretta AL 390
Next Firearm: Ruger 10/22 tactical

Post by Wigeon » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:33 pm

Ruger MK series or SR 22
Kill em and grill em, whack em and stack em

R.J.
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: AK`s & Glocks
Next Firearm: ....mmmmm

Post by R.J. » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:04 am

Stiff wrote:Nice topic!

It seems I have always had a fondness for the Browning Buckmark and the little Ruger Bearcat personally.
+1 on the Buckmark....great trigger.
...one nation, under surveillance, unrecognizable, w/ smart phones & food stamps for all.

WTB - `82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.

BLM - BURN, LOOT, MURDER

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Haven't tried a buckmark but generally I don't care for any of the newly manufactured pistols. I would prefer a colt woodsman or a Smith and Wesson model 41 or one of the high standards. And I prefer the Ruger mark II's over the newer mk III's.

And there are some nice ones for sale used on Gunsinternational which I prefer to gunbroker because it isn't an auction site. GunsAmeerica is good too, but not as much of a selection and I also prefer to buy form established dealers rather than private party on those sites.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Nievo
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
Favorite Firearm: CZ 75
Next Firearm: AR-50

Post by Nievo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:40 pm

Ruger SR22 is my current favorite, great little gun. Have heard great things about the Ruger Mark and Browning Buckmark as well.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:13 pm

I used to have a S&W 2206 6", adj sights. Shot great. Used to set clay pigeons on an embankment 100 paces away and sit down and shoot at them. Gun held 11rds and my best effort, now and then on a good day, was breaking 8. 7 was frequent, 6 I could do all day long. Never did manage 9 or more. Sure wish I still had that gun.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

xcr1
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spangle
Favorite Firearm: Seekins AR Build
Next Firearm: Benelli

Post by xcr1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:44 pm

HIgh Standard in my opinion has better triggers and is more accurate than any of the newer pistols and you can find a Sport King or similar for around $400 bucks or less. One thing, they like standard velocity ammo and any feedings issues are generally corrected by tuning the mag which is not difficult. I currently have a Supermatic Trophy and I would bet it has a trigger that would rival the best bolt action rifles.
I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Spectre_USA
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Sig Sauer P938
Next Firearm: Choices, choices!

Post by Spectre_USA » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:32 pm

I like the S&W 22A I picked up 4 - 5 years ago, it is just a fun gun, and always surprises me with its consistent accuracy.

Nice trigger from the factory, and they had a recall for headspace issues a few years back, but mine wasn't one of them.

I have fired dozens of different flavors of .22 pistols in the last 40+ years, but the 22A is my favorite in its role.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:54 am

Spectre_USA wrote:I like the S&W 22A I picked up 4 - 5 years ago, it is just a fun gun, and always surprises me with its consistent accuracy.

Nice trigger from the factory, and they had a recall for headspace issues a few years back, but mine wasn't one of them.

I have fired dozens of different flavors of .22 pistols in the last 40+ years, but the 22A is my favorite in its role.
Good report. I have a chance to pick one of these up new for a dirt cheap price of about $220. Not the best time financialy, but sometimes opportunity knocks at odd moments. Might try to do it.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:49 pm

Seems like the Smith & Wesson is a good gun for it's price but if you could get a good deal on a used ruger MKII I thini it's probably a btter gun as long as it doesn't show a lot of wear, which is not to say that they ever wear out.

But for new guns, here's a review that I found useful:

http://www.topgunreview.com/best/handgu ... 22-pistol/
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Spectre_USA
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Sig Sauer P938
Next Firearm: Choices, choices!

Post by Spectre_USA » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:10 am

Cool link, Ron.

It looks like the Browning and 3 Rugers ranked higher, and I have fired 2 of those 4 before, but it comes down to personal feel.

It is best to fire them yourself, but not too many ranges have a full array of the many rimfires out there. That is what friends with firearms are for!

:)

roger
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: I like them all
Next Firearm: S&W 686

Post by roger » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:45 pm

Spectre_USA wrote:I like the S&W 22A I picked up 4 - 5 years ago, it is just a fun gun, and always surprises me with its consistent accuracy.

I have the S@W 422 which is the cheaper version of the 22A. I've had it for about 16 years, put 1000's of rounds through it, and feel the same way. Its not a "target" model like the 22A, but I shoot it better than I do the Ruger Mark series. The only thing that I don't like about the 422 are the stock sights, they are fixed sights that are black on black.I haven't upgraded them yet but will someday. However, I will always like the Mark series just because it was the first hand gun that I ever shot (when I was 7).

Machete
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Lewiston
Favorite Firearm: Sig Scorpion 1911
Next Firearm: SCAR-17 SBR

Post by Machete » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:59 pm

Walther P22 or Ruger SR22

LostInWA
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: SAA

Post by LostInWA » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:52 am

Anyone have the S&W M&P22? I have been thinking of trying one for a while.

NMCB5-509
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Ruger Mark II 22/45

Post by NMCB5-509 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:17 am

LostInWA wrote:Anyone have the S&W M&P22? I have been thinking of trying one for a while.
Yep I have one... I really like it. it works well with my Can and it is 12 Rounds per mag
if i were to put them in order
1. Mark II 22/45 SS
2. Mark II Target SS
3. SP101 22
4. S&W M&P 22
5.Buck Mark

I really don't like My Ruger SR22 .. I like the size and it feels nice in my hand it has the threaded barrel I even got the extended Mags (so it is 15+1) I cant hit crap with it and it can be a picky eater.

Just my .02
Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:58 am

I think if I could have any 22lr handgun that I wanted it would be a Smith and Wesson model 53 22 Jet 8 3/8ths inch barrel with spare 22lr cylinder and the six 22 Lr inserts reamed out to 22 mag.

JohnnyT
Rookie Member
City: Spirit Lake, ID
Favorite Firearm: The one in my hand
Next Firearm: The one in the case

Post by JohnnyT » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:46 am

LostInWA wrote:Anyone have the S&W M&P22? I have been thinking of trying one for a while.
I have the M&P 22. It's a great and accurate gun. And it shoots well just about anything that I've fed it, even junky bulk ammo, unlike the SIG Mosquito I had before this one. The M&P is actually made under contract by Walther. They know 22s.

It is the same dimensions as the full size M&P, so it is a handful in terms of grip and weight. My wife has small hands and hates it for that reason. However, S&W just unveiled their new M&P 22 Compact. That thing looks sweet!

"Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." - 2 Cor 3:17
NRA Endowment Member. Because an armed man is a citizen and a disarmed man is a subject.