Open carry harassment.......

Discuss self defense and carry / EDC / tactics ...
triggerslemp
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane

Open carry harassment.......

Post by triggerslemp » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:06 pm

First off let me say that I'm an avid supporter of open carry. The reason for this post is I'm curious if anybody has dealt with open carry harassment. Trying to get a idea on the Spokane/Spokane County area. I've seen many videos over the last several months about police harassing people who open carry. Just curious if we have that problem here in Spokane or not. So if anybody has any first-hand accounts or knows of anybody who's been harassed please share the story.

My interest really comes from seeing the videos about people open carrying long guns. I personally have never open carried a long gun in public due to the fact that I don't think it serves any purpose other than grabbing negative attention. That's not to say that I don't support people's right to do so I just don't find a need to do it. I'm more of a person open carrying a handgun from time to time in the hopes of educating people that it is the right here in Washington State.

So please feel free to chime in on the discussion or post stores of personal experiences or experiences that you have witnessed. Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing what people have to say

BigDeeeeeeee
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hauser
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Blaser F3
Next Firearm: CZ TSO or Sig P210

Re: Open carry harassment.......

Post by BigDeeeeeeee » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:40 pm

I've open carried for the last 4-5 years around Idaho, western MT, and eastern WA without any negative incidents. Never been asked to leave a business, but I stay out of places I know aren't OC friendly like the malls and Costco.
Darren

magpulsam
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: M4
Next Firearm: Colt 1877 Bulldog

Post by magpulsam » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:49 pm

Those videos have absolutely no merit. Consider watching the video Ron recently posted.
I've upped my standards, now up yours!

BEST GUN SITE QUOTE EVER- "I spent the last 10 years playing airsoft and have used just about every type of sight to get an edge in CQB. I probably know more about CQB than a ranger" -spunky9999

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Bob R » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:28 pm

First off let me say that I'm an avid supporter of open carry. The reason for this post is I'm curious if anybody has dealt with open carry harassment. Trying to get a idea on the Spokane/Spokane County area. I've seen many videos over the last several months about police harassing people who open carry. Just curious if we have that problem here in Spokane or not.
Short answer, No.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

lonster
Rookie Member
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: AR-10

Post by lonster » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:30 pm

I've been CCing all of my adult life. But only recently started OCing. I normally use a IWB kydex holster. Or just tuck it in my waistband without. Getting old and fat and tired of wearing 2 shirts in the summer. Just don't be the obvious guy. You know the guy. BDUs, Gun belt, Tactical vest, Glock with a 30 something round magazine, or 4 magazines. Had a conversation with one of those guys it the grocery store. His comment was "Wow a 1911, that's some ancient technology" My reply "Wow, nice costume. Are you going to a Halloween party?" I know over kill but he looked like a tool. And insulted my baby.

I get asked questions about it. I'm a big guy. Beard, tattoos and a Harley always with a smile for a stranger and a wave for a kid. So I think I'm fairly approachable. Well most of the time. Unless you look like an urban commando. Questions range from where do you work. To do you know your pistol is exposed. I normally just give them the boiler plate answer. Just a responsible citizen exercising my 2nd amendment right. Most of the time they are unaware that it's even legal. Had a Cop comment that his private carry was a 1911. Have heard Costco isn't friendly.

RRT27
SGT Premium Supporter
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: GP100
Next Firearm: another GP100

Post by RRT27 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:27 pm

lonster wrote: Have heard Costco isn't friendly.
I wonder if that has anything to do with that person that had a negligent discharge in their store?

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time

Post by Bob R » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:41 pm

RRT27 wrote:
I wonder if that has anything to do with that person that had a negligent discharge in their store?
Probably not, it is a nationwide policy. Just conceal when you go in and carry on a usual.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

roger
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: I like them all
Next Firearm: S&W 686

Post by roger » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:28 pm

triggerslemp wrote:I'm more of a person open carrying a handgun from time to time in the hopes of educating people that it is the right here in Washington State.
I conceal carry 90% of the time and open carry 10%, usually in the summer when fishing or doing yard work and after getting tired of being sweaty and feeling a grip rubbing my side (I usually like a holster the fits close to the body).

However it is NEVER to "educate" anyone. In most cases "we", are not going to educate the anti gun crowds any more than "they" will educate us on why guns are bad. Same goes for pita vs. hunters, tree huggers vs. loggers, its a never ending argument and nothing is going to change that.

Edit: I have noticed when open carrying, that its almost always young kids that notice or say something first. I was fishing a week ago at Clear Lake, at the public boat launch a little boy said "dad that man has a gun.", the dad said "ok" and that was the end of it.

Godspyro
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: fire stick
Next Firearm: Bible

Post by Godspyro » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:30 pm

roger wrote: However it is NEVER to "educate" anyone......

....at the public boat launch a little boy said "dad that man has a gun.", the dad said "ok" and that was the end of it.
I agree that a libtard is incapable of learning however you OCing taught that little boy an important lesson. That a man with a gun is no cause for alarm.

You see, the media and the schools teach that guns are bad and anyone that carries one is bad or crazy (other then cops, they are all goood).
When you and I open carry we desensitize the public to seeing people with guns.
Prov 6:6 Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise.

RCW 9.41.010
(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

Quotes are stupid. -The Mechanic

Afterhours
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Afterhours » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:08 am

RRT27 wrote:
I was told by a couple employees while we were checking out at the north store that the policy was created after the ND in their store. Some dude dropped his drawers to use the bathroom, his gun hit the floor and fired. They also told me that if you are carrying concealed, they could care less and it is not against their policy. They seemed versed in the conversation, like they are often engaged or they were avid supporters of 2A. Either way, their explanation prevented me from cancelling my membership and kept my wife happy, and I CC in there all the time.
It's no longer Republicans vs. Democrats, it's Liberty vs. Tyranny

WTB Ruger 10/22 Target

Orphan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: 338 Lapua

Post by Orphan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:04 pm

Godspyro wrote:
roger wrote: However it is NEVER to "educate" anyone......

....at the public boat launch a little boy said "dad that man has a gun.", the dad said "ok" and that was the end of it.
I agree that a libtard is incapable of learning however you OCing taught that little boy an important lesson. That a man with a gun is no cause for alarm.

You see, the media and the schools teach that guns are bad and anyone that carries one is bad or crazy (other then cops, they are all goood).
When you and I open carry we desensitize the public to seeing people with guns.

This^^^^^^^^^^^ is what OC is about IMHO

RLHas
Local SGT Sponsor
City: Medical Lake
Favorite Firearm: Springfield EMP .40
Next Firearm: AR 10 or Bolt action

Post by RLHas » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:59 pm

I have actually found an amazing (to me) amount of positive type support/feedback from people while OCing.
I was stopped at the light on Francis one afternoon. My G23 was on my hip... (did I mention I was on the bike?)
Guy pulls along side, gives me a thumbs up and says "I wish I could see that more often" I asked him "what's that?"
He gestures at my pistol and says...
"I'm from Cali and we (Him and his entire family) moved up here to get out of that place. I feel much safer knowing I'm surrounded by like minded folk!"
Then we got the green. I hollered my "Thanks!" and rolled on down the road as he took his turn.

That's just one of my experiences... Kinda blew me away. The best one with a twist.
My Glock Doc
509-869-2754
Call for appointment

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NRA Member

dillonivik
Serious Gun Trader
City: North Spokane
Favorite Firearm: SIG P238

Post by dillonivik » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:47 am

Though I would never carry a rifle just to carry it, I do regularly sling my rifles on my back and ride my motorcycle to the range. I have come up next to cops and ridden by them numerous times. I have never had any issues. As far as OCing a pistol, I rarely do it, though a few times I have gotten supporting comments. A few months ago I was fueling up my pickup and walked inside the service station to buy a soda, the clerk saw my pistol and asked if I was an LEO, I responded "no Im just a vet that hasnt given up being armed" he chuckled and said " well I feel safer knowing we can carry open of concield, and I like seeing guys like you carrying"

GreyGoose
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Lakeview
Favorite Firearm: All of 'em

Post by GreyGoose » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:31 pm

I OC in Costco all the time in CDA, never had anyone so much as blink an eye.

Sucks that is their corp policy tho... ;-/
"Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again; poor fools. And their grand-children are once more slaves." - D. H. Lawrence

GBU_HUNTER
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: FN Five Seven
Next Firearm: AR57

Post by GBU_HUNTER » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:42 pm

GreyGoose wrote:I OC in Costco all the time in CDA, never had anyone so much as blink an eye.

You are dealing with a different mind set in Idaho. I OC all the time in ID and MT and only sometimes in WA. OC in WA depends on what I'm doing and where. I believe that more people should OC everywhere and get the public used to it like the residents in ID and MT.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his action." Ronald Reagan

GreyGoose
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Lakeview
Favorite Firearm: All of 'em

Post by GreyGoose » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:03 pm

GBU_HUNTER wrote:
GreyGoose wrote:I OC in Costco all the time in CDA, never had anyone so much as blink an eye.

You are dealing with a different mind set in Idaho. I OC all the time in ID and MT and only sometimes in WA. OC in WA depends on what I'm doing and where. I believe that more people should OC everywhere and get the public used to it like the residents in ID and MT.
Noted and agreed.
"Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again; poor fools. And their grand-children are once more slaves." - D. H. Lawrence

apesmash
Favorite Firearm: Sig P226
Next Firearm: Sig P228 or P229

Post by apesmash » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:09 am

BigDeeeeeeee wrote:I've open carried for the last 4-5 years around Idaho, western MT, and eastern WA without any negative incidents. Never been asked to leave a business, but I stay out of places I know aren't OC friendly like the malls and Costco.
I work for Costco and can confirm that you won't be asked to leave for OC in a warehouse. No guns are supposed to be on property, but the worst that will happen is someone will remind you of that rule and walk away. Members are number one at Costco.

I see guys with imprints of large frame hand cannons jetting out from their T-shirts and being a gun guy too, I find it kind of funny. I totally support it and my boss does not have a problem either. Its just a corporation thing I guess, but like I said, do it if you feel like it. Most of the employees I work with are all gun guys themselves anyway.
Smash

A wolf does not concern himself with the opinions of sheep.

Idaho resident living in Spokane.

paintguy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by paintguy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:31 pm

apesmash wrote:
BigDeeeeeeee wrote:I've open carried for the last 4-5 years around Idaho, western MT, and eastern WA without any negative incidents. Never been asked to leave a business, but I stay out of places I know aren't OC friendly like the malls and Costco.
I work for Costco and can confirm that you won't be asked to leave for OC in a warehouse. No guns are supposed to be on property, but the worst that will happen is someone will remind you of that rule and walk away. Members are number one at Costco.

I see guys with imprints of large frame hand cannons jetting out from their T-shirts and being a gun guy too, I find it kind of funny. I totally support it and my boss does not have a problem either. Its just a corporation thing I guess, but like I said, do it if you feel like it. Most of the employees I work with are all gun guys themselves anyway.
+100 I always CC at Costco and never have an issue. I never OC anywhere. Too many narrow minded people with an agenda.
Regards,
paintguy