AZ or UT permit and other questions...

Discuss self defense and carry / EDC / tactics ...
pacnw
Gun Trader
City: North of Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: one that goes bang!!

AZ or UT permit and other questions...

Post by pacnw » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:08 pm

My wife went to a class the other night and was informed that the AZ CCW permit is better than the UT permit because it gets NM and NV, while UT does not. They said there was an upcoming class, through CCOR (http://cconramp.com/), that will meet the requirements.

When I looked at the AZ website it states shooting competency is required. The class states nothing about shooting, is held at a non-shooting place and is not the required length listed on the AZ website.

A) Anyone have the AZ permit that can enlighten me?

B) Anyone heard of CCOR and have comments on them. Seems like they are affiliated with SPRC.

Thanks

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: AZ or UT permit and other questions...

Post by bladebum » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Why does she want a AZ or UT CPL? Will she be traveling to states that won't take the WA permit? Does she have a WA CPL now?
http://www.handgunlaw.us/
http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed ... ts/Obtain/
Last edited by bladebum on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:47 pm

Keep in mind whichever you get you still need a WA CPL as a resident to be legal in WA.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:53 pm

thumpar wrote:Keep in mind whichever you get you still need a WA CPL as a resident to be legal in WA.
+1 Agree. Most states (like UT) will not process a non resident CPL without a CPL from your home state. :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

pacnw
Gun Trader
City: North of Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: one that goes bang!!

Post by pacnw » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:31 pm

We both have a WA CPL and the UT.

We do travel, NM and NV are places we may be through/in.

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:11 pm

pacnw wrote:We both have a WA CPL and the UT.

We do travel, NM and NV are places we may be through/in.
I see... Very good. This is a strong example for the need of a national CPL but it doesn't look like we will get it anytime soon. Some of the more restrictive states are requiring some classroom and range training before they will issue a resident or non-resident CPL. As you probably know, Idaho has expanded its acceptance in other states with it's enhanced CPL. You might look at the states you'll be traveling in and see if the new Idaho CPL will cover the need. You might also contact Center Target Sports and see if the enhanced version will work for your travel needs or maybe AZ will accept range training from Center Target. This is a tough one... Good luck. :)
http://www.centertargetsports.com/cours ... cw-cts-300

edzz
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: M-14
Next Firearm: TBD

Post by edzz » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Looks like an Idaho enhanced (not the basic) would be a good bet. http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php
Ed

The Few
The Proud

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Train to Live
City: Colbert
Favorite Firearm: Glock 19
Next Firearm: Mossberg 930 SPX

Post by Train to Live » Mon May 23, 2016 9:48 pm

Arizona is indeed better than Utah now, since they have added Nevada and New Mexico. Here is the link for info: http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03112.htm check out Item N: CCOR provides fantastic classes at reasonable prices. Besides teaching at Sportsman's warehouse in Spokane, they are also teaching at the White Elephant in Spokane Valley. They have many women specific classes besides the permit class for all. For the Arizona permit, there is no requirement to shoot, only to have a "class" and there is no formal requirement for length, CCOR uses the requirements for Utah since it is stricter, it has specific requirements for topics and length (4hours) hope this helps.