12 Ga vs 20 Ga

Discuss self defense and carry / EDC / tactics ...
Noobie
Gun Trader
City: Post Falls
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 30-30
Next Firearm: Cva kodiak magnum

12 Ga vs 20 Ga

Post by Noobie » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:13 pm

For home defense which do you prefer? 12 or 20.. also do you guys use slugs, buckshot, or birdshot?

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: 12 Ga vs 20 Ga

Post by hatchdog » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:54 am

Depends on your home set up. I use 12ga. 3" low recoil 00 buck but I don't have any close neighbors. If I lived in an apartment or a home with close neighbors I might change that to 20ga birdshot (?).

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:19 am

12ga, short barrel, 2 3/4" #4 buck loaded with 2ea #4 buck, 00 buck and slugs in the side saddle. :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Blacklion66
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Northport, WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W GOVENOR
Next Firearm: 25-20

Post by Blacklion66 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:16 am

Is there a chance anyone with a light frame (wife, daughter) might have to fire the weapon?

A 12 gauge with buckshot fired from the hip is a handful

Older double 20 gauges can be found at a reasonable price, after a good smith shortens the barrel down to the legal limit
you will have a no choke hallway sweeper that doesn't jump like a bee stung bronc

PapaBear
Serious Gun Trader
City: West Plains
Favorite Firearm: Glock 19
Next Firearm: AR-10

Post by PapaBear » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:11 am

Personally I don't see much of a difference in down range activity between the 2. Either one will do the job just fine. The buck shot load out of a 20 ga is going pretty much the same velocity as a 12ga, there is just a couple fewer pellets.

Personally keep a 12ga with 2-3/4 reduced recoil 00 buck with 2-3/4 #4 Buck at the ready in case the extended mag starts to run low. But we only have 12gauges and that's the ammo my wife and daughters are comfortable shooting.
Pray for the rough men and women standing guard over this great land, for without their sacrifices the wolves would surely be on the porch instead of a distant howl.

U.S.A. - Back to back World War Champions! Go Eagles!

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:13 pm

The 20 gauge is not a whole lot less powerful than a 12 gauge especially 20 gauge 3". As somewone has already pointed out, the 20 gauge has less payload, but the same velocity. A reliable 20 guage semi-auto (Mossberg makes one) would be an excellent home defense weapon especially for home defenders such as women and teenagers who are smaller in size but unfortunately no one (including Mossberg) makes one in "tactical" configuration with an extended mag tube.

For apartment dwellers. I would not recommend birdshot. Birdshot causes a nasty wound but will not reliably STOP an attacker. #4 lead shot (Not #4 Buck) in either 20 or 12 would be better, but for 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch there is a load that uses #4 buck that is frangible and will penetrate flesh but will break up on wallboard.

For the apartment dweller or even someone living with neighbors close by I would recommend using a 12 gauge just so you could use this ammo, though if all you had was a 20 gauge you could buy a box of these shells and take them apart and reload 20 gauge 3 inch #4 buck with them, after weighing them and using fewer pellets. Another important consideration is even if you live in a house in the middle of nowhere, if your wife and or kids are in another room you don't want a heavy shot payload going through that wall either. And for that reason I think this "Hevi-shot" ammo is a damn good idea.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/74286 ... c-box-of-5
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Blacklion66
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Northport, WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W GOVENOR
Next Firearm: 25-20

Post by Blacklion66 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:34 am

ron wrote:The 20 gauge is not a whole lot less powerful than a 12 gauge especially 20 gauge 3". As somewone has already pointed out, the 20 gauge has less payload, but the same velocity. A reliable 20 guage semi-auto (Mossberg makes one) would be an excellent home defense weapon especially for home defenders such as women and teenagers who are smaller in size but unfortunately no one (including Mossberg) makes one in "tactical" configuration with an extended mag tube.

For apartment dwellers. I would not recommend birdshot. Birdshot causes a nasty wound but will not reliably STOP an attacker. #4 lead shot (Not #4 Buck) in either 20 or 12 would be better, but for 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch there is a load that uses #4 buck that is frangible and will penetrate flesh but will break up on wallboard.

For the apartment dweller or even someone living with neighbors close by I would recommend using a 12 gauge just so you could use this ammo, though if all you had was a 20 gauge you could buy a box of these shells and take them apart and reload 20 gauge 3 inch #4 buck with them, after weighing them and using fewer pellets. Another important consideration is even if you live in a house in the middle of nowhere, if your wife and or kids are in another room you don't want a heavy shot payload going through that wall either. And for that reason I think this "Hevi-shot" ammo is a damn good idea.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/74286 ... c-box-of-5
Most homeowners are not experts on what type of ammo they should buy, most will ask a clerk who might or might not give them a good advice.
Special home defence loads :lol:
walk in and buy a box of low-brass birdshot and be assured that you can't buy anything better or safer.

http://outdoorchannel.com/article.aspx? ... -in-a-home

dillonivik
Serious Gun Trader
City: North Spokane
Favorite Firearm: SIG P238

Post by dillonivik » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:59 pm

I may get crap for this but here we go, I use 12ga rubber shot (I believe in second chances, you leave, we have no problem). If a round or two of that doesnt get them to stop and surrender, then its low recoil #4 buck(buddy of mine who was CHP in the 70s said this is what they had great luck with, good performance with less over penetration).

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:11 am

For my money I would say that either 12 or 20 will work perfectly. I would have no hesitation to stuff it with a couple low base loads of 7-1/2 either. How far are you ever going to have to shoot in your home? 3 yards? perhaps 4? At 3-4 yards the shot column is only just beginning to open up, which means that its essentially a nearly solid mass of lead hitting the target. If it does not kill it almost certainly will incapacitate. Then there is the benefit of reduced wall penetration as others have mentioned. My own gun sits with an empty magazine and field loads right near by. If things threaten to really go south it also wears a side saddle ammo carrier with 6 rds of 3" 00 and a butt cuff with 5 more of 2-3/4" slugs. I doubt it would make a bit of difference if it were a 20 instead of a 12 either.
The gun you are most familiar with, and most likely to function well with and hit with under stress, is the best one for you to keep ready for when things go bump in the night regardless of caliber or what myself or anyone else thinks.

As to the notion of second chances, I must say that the last second chance they will get is when they commit to coming through my door. After that they had better hope that my aim is off, and that's not likely. They make the commitment to forcibly entering my home and the time of second chances is over.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

mauser54
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Silsbee
State: Texas
Favorite Firearm: Ones that i own
Next Firearm: What ever tickles me

Post by mauser54 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:13 pm

bladebum wrote:12ga, short barrel, 2 3/4" #4 buck loaded with 2ea #4 buck, 00 buck and slugs in the side saddle. :)
Same way I keep mine setup. ;)
Gunsmith Graduate with Degree
30 years experience
General firearm repair
DuraCoating service
Customizing firearms.
Contact me by:
- Pm through SGT
- Email - mauser54@yahoo.com

"Second Amendment" America's Original Homeland Security

"The criminal needs to be taught to fear his victim"
Jeff Cooper

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Post by ghillieinthemist » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:30 pm

I choose 20G because and only because if it's any one in my house other than me needing to use this it wont over take them by surprise. first round is bird shot. they keep coming its a 00 buck party the rest of the night.
Do or do not there is no try.