Stock Refinishing

Post firearm related how to instructions...
Chainsaw21
Gun Trader
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: S.A.S.S
Next Firearm: Kimber

Stock Refinishing

Post by Chainsaw21 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:08 pm

Has anyone used tru oil on a wood stock. I completely sanded down a rifle stock. Put 7 coats of the true oil on with light steel wool in between then three final coats. It looks AMAZING! My question, Is there anything i should put over the final oil coat to protect the finish?
Tim

Lanyard
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Otis Orchards
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Flattop Blackhawk
Next Firearm: 1911
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Stock Refinishing

Post by Lanyard » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:20 pm

I'd say that your done.

Shelbyfan
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: 83858
Favorite Firearm: Ruger 22/45 MKIII

Post by Shelbyfan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:15 am

One tip for true oil. Have two separate containers. One thinned to about 50% and another to about 25% with mineral spirits. Use the 50% reduction on the first few coats to fill the grain very nice and the 25% on the rest. Takes a bit longer, ten coats or more, but goes on much more smooth. Use your hands, with latex gloves, and not a rag or brush to really rub it into the pores. You do not have to do one full coat at a time, you can do half or just parts.
Tru oil is really easy to use and can make a nice finish.

R.J.
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: AK`s & Glocks
Next Firearm: ....mmmmm

Post by R.J. » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:42 am

If you want a glossy finish I`d leave it alone. Otherwise, to get more of a satin look you can use B.C`s 'Stock & Sheen Conditioner' or lightly buff w/ #0000 steel wool. I found out that I prefer bronze wool as it allows you to work more slowly & lessens the chance of going through the finish. Takes a little more elbow grease but even the lightest steel wool cuts pretty quick(I fought it myself). The Tru-Oil dries to a durable finish by itself, but for a little added protection from the elements B.C.`s gun stock wax works pretty well, but I`m not convinced it`s really needed. Certainly won`t hurt though.
...one nation, under surveillance, unrecognizable, w/ smart phones & food stamps for all.

WTB - `82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.

BLM - BURN, LOOT, MURDER

Chainsaw21
Gun Trader

Post by Chainsaw21 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks R.J. And Shelby. Yea i have done a couple different firearms, and i always used a rag. Im going to refinish anoth and try with the thinned oil and gloves. I can see how it will make a huge difference. Where does one get bronze wool from. I have never heard of it, but would like to try.
Thanks all for the input.
Tim

R.J.
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: AK`s & Glocks
Next Firearm: ....mmmmm

Post by R.J. » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:44 pm

Chainsaw21 wrote:Thanks R.J. And Shelby. Yea i have done a couple different firearms, and i always used a rag. Im going to refinish anoth and try with the thinned oil and gloves. I can see how it will make a huge difference. Where does one get bronze wool from. I have never heard of it, but would like to try.
Thanks all for the input.
Tim
I got mine at Ace Hardware so I`d think Home Depot & the like would have it as well. I didn`t even know it existed till I read about it on another forum. I agree on the gloves but when I did my first rifle I used nitrile gloves, then latex on the second. For whatever reason the latex didn`t 'glide' as well as the nitrile & was more apt to stick as I tried to wipe off the excess. Good luck, wood finishes are an art of their own. :)
...one nation, under surveillance, unrecognizable, w/ smart phones & food stamps for all.

WTB - `82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.

BLM - BURN, LOOT, MURDER

burny
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Entitlement City
Favorite Firearm: warm ones
Next Firearm: Savage 24 O\U

Post by burny » Sun May 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Anyone have some pics to motivate the rest of us ? Would also help people that has never done remodel (me)

Im sure theres tons of content out on the net but would still like to see some local talent
No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session. -- Gideon J. Tucker (1866)

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time

Post by Bob R » Sun May 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Im going to refinish anoth and try with the thinned oil and gloves.
If you cut it 50/50 you can actually use a brush on the first coat to get it done a little faster. What you are doing is thinning it so that it gets into the wood a little better, which will provide a little better waterproofing. Don't forget to do the inside of the stock.

That gloss TruOil can sure do a flashy finish if you take your time to let it dry between finishes and do it right. I am working on a stock right now that will eventually get 10-12 coats of TruOil.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

Chainsaw21
Gun Trader

Post by Chainsaw21 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:11 am

Im getting ready to do a shotgun for a guy at work. Once I get started, i will take pictures along the way so i can post em!

Yosemite

Post by Yosemite » Mon May 30, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks for the info ... will certainly use True Oil.

TINCANBANDIT
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Seattle
Favorite Firearm: Super Red Hawk
Next Firearm: .357 Vaquero Montado

Post by TINCANBANDIT » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:13 am

Here is a refinishing project that I completed recently:

I bought this JC Higgins bolt action 16 Gauge for $80, someone had applied an ugly varnish to it. If you didn't know, most guns, even the cheaper brands made prior to the 1970s came with real walnut stocks. This one had a beautiful grain to it but was hiding under neath that hideous varnish.

ImageImageImage

I used a bio-safe stripper that contains citric acid, smells like oranges and is safe to breath & get on your skin, works good at getting the old varnish offImage

I then carded the wood with a piece of plastic and cleaned it with some bio-safe paint thinner (look at me being all environmental-like...)Image
after it was cleaned you could see all the grain in the nice walnut, no stain needed here, just a coating of tru-oilImage

and a close up

The next step is sanding, I used 220 grit which is strong enough to remove the last vestiges of varnish and remove and small scratches, when sanding wood stocks remember two things: 1. always sand with the grain and 2. leave the butt pad in place.
I then wiped down the wood with paint thinner again and let it dry

I then added my first coat of Birchwood-Casey's Tru-Oil

Add the Tru-Oil with your fingers, let the wood soak it up, then use a paper towel to remove the excess and let dry for 24hrs, Tru-Oil contains linseed oil, so dispose of the paper towels properly (they can spontaneously catch fire)

Here is the gun finished, I put 3 coats (included the wet sanded one) of Tru-Oil, after the last coat I polished the surface with 0000 Steel Wool to remove some of the shiny-ness
ImageImageImage

Here is a before and after comparison

LostInWA
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: SAA

Post by LostInWA » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:58 am

I had been gathering up everything I needed (citrustrip, tru oil, ect) to refinish all my rossi 92's and happened
across this thread. Can't wait for the weather to warm up to start.

macblaster
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Sig Sauer 365
Next Firearm: Morris Custom 1911

Post by macblaster » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:54 am

Thanks for posting TINCANBANDIT, :)
Beautiful wood refinishing job!
NFA.... Making "Stamp Collecting" Fun!!

jsw011907

Post by jsw011907 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:00 pm

I have done a few stock refinishes some high gloss others satin, pours open or filled. I forget to take the before pictures but these are after I have finished.

LostInWA
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: SAA

Post by LostInWA » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:45 pm

One of my Rossi 92's with tru-oil.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:16 pm

Chainsaw21 wrote:Has anyone used tru oil on a wood stock. I completely sanded down a rifle stock. Put 7 coats of the true oil on with light steel wool in between then three final coats. It looks AMAZING! My question, Is there anything i should put over the final oil coat to protect the finish?
Tim
You're done. Thats how I did my 458 stck too. Looks awsome, doesnt it?
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

TINCANBANDIT
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Seattle
Favorite Firearm: Super Red Hawk
Next Firearm: .357 Vaquero Montado

Post by TINCANBANDIT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:49 am

There is one more thing you could do

take 0000 steel wool and remove the shine, then buff with triple F rubbing compound, this will give you a nice satin finish, like what the high end custom rifles feature.