Local SGT Sponsor
City: Medical Lake
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Springfield EMP .40
Next Firearm: AR 10 or Bolt action
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Frog lube

Post by RLHas » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:49 am

In my experiences with this stuff I will have to agree with krob.
In weapons I've worked on especially those with a diversity of types of metal I've found corrosion starting in certain ares where one may not be cleaning every time.
Prime example...
I performed a complete spring replacement and tune of a very nice Kimber Pro CDP.
Has an alloy (aluminum) frame, stainless slide, chrome silicon main spring but the sear spring (the leaf spring)
was standard carbon steel. Under that leaf spring it had started to pit out the alloy frame and also corroded the leaf on the disconnect leg almost to the point of breakage. The pistol still functioned but the user had noticed a bit more of a violent recoil than normal which was the recoil spring being old and tired (happens to the best of us)
My theory is that due to the vegetable oil base this cause electrolysis thereby causing the corrosion.
If they can't elinimate all the acidity from the oil it will definitely cause this.
I agree also with staying with the traditional stuff and or synthetics.
I use Corrosion X and Gunslick Graphite Grease prettymuch exclusively and have had great luck with it.
My Glock Doc
509-869-2754
Call for appointment

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NRA Member

R.J.
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: AK`s & Glocks
Next Firearm: ....mmmmm

Post by R.J. » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:56 pm

Seems like the verdicts are coming in on Frog Lube & it's not all that it was cracked up to be. In corrosion tests I've seen it hasn't done very well in comparison to others. The top rated ones for corrosion protection always seem to be Eezox, Corrosion X, Weapon shield, Tri-Lube & Breakfree CLP also did very well. There are a few others I'm sure that I'm missing.
...one nation, under surveillance, unrecognizable, w/ smart phones & food stamps for all.

WTB - `82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.

BLM - BURN, LOOT, MURDER

Cameron Kaputa
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Harrington
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: AR-15 pistols
Next Firearm: ???

Post by Cameron Kaputa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:25 pm

I know it's important to wipe off the Frog lube so you don't have sticky parts. I've used for a few years on a few weapons. I didn't have any corrosion but I found a sticky firing pin that I though I wiped it down well but was sticky. I also don't like the smell after it sits for awhile. Not the nice minty smell of fresh FL but a smell of rancid oil.
If you shoot and clean a weapon often Frog Lube my be fine.
I also feel that Seal 1 is the same stuff with the exception of color and smell.
Cameron

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Post by ghillieinthemist » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:32 pm

I was doing research on the best lube...I remember a blip about frog lube "gumming up" over time. anyhow...what I took away from the multiple articles I read over the week I spent doing some deep research was this...synthetic tranny fluid, synthetic oil (weight is personal preference), hoppes #9 mixed. So im running it now. The logic is the automotive industry has a lot more experience and science into lubing all those moving parts than the firearm industry. Sure...they are not designed for guns but it seems to be working for me. The whole point of lube is to keep parts moving and prevent fouling. Im not selling anything. I'm just saying I didn't find one article saying this is bad or didn't work. Personally I don't trust "miracle lubes" some A hole calls Unicorn Urine or X995 Alpha or blah blah blah...whatever the gimmick is anymore. I fell for that crap once. Now I make my own. and for about 20.00 this stuff should last about 15 years at least.
Do or do not there is no try.

RLHas
Local SGT Sponsor
City: Medical Lake
Favorite Firearm: Springfield EMP .40
Next Firearm: AR 10 or Bolt action

Post by RLHas » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:57 pm

ghillieinthemist wrote:I was doing research on the best lube...I remember a blip about frog lube "gumming up" over time. anyhow...what I took away from the multiple articles I read over the week I spent doing some deep research was this...synthetic tranny fluid, synthetic oil (weight is personal preference), hoppes #9 mixed. So im running it now. The logic is the automotive industry has a lot more experience and science into lubing all those moving parts than the firearm industry. Sure...they are not designed for guns but it seems to be working for me. The whole point of lube is to keep parts moving and prevent fouling. Im not selling anything. I'm just saying I didn't find one article saying this is bad or didn't work. Personally I don't trust "miracle lubes" some A hole calls Unicorn Urine or X995 Alpha or blah blah blah...whatever the gimmick is anymore. I fell for that crap once. Now I make my own. and for about 20.00 this stuff should last about 15 years at least.
I've gotten to where I use a syn blend too... Seems to be successful!
My Glock Doc
509-869-2754
Call for appointment

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NRA Member

SGTAnnounce
Site Admin
City: Spokane
State: Wa

Post by SGTAnnounce » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:22 pm

Any more thoughts on Froglube? I've used it a few times, no issues.... people still having good luck, or issues?

Edit: I see they have a "FrogLube Extreme" now. I'm assuming to solve the gumming up problem.

Sandaholic
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: 22lrAR cause its fun
Next Firearm: P226

Post by Sandaholic » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:41 pm

Gummed up on me. I use Ballistol on everything now.
It's unfortunate that so many have succumb to the propaganda and new age terrorism. Most of you believed the 2nd amendment gave teeth to our ability to fight for our rights. Now through coercion on a massive scale, you want to restrict our freedoms because of your fear.

Cheers to the Trump years! Here's to hoping justice returns to the land and we get 4 more!

SGTAnnounce
Site Admin
State: Wa

Post by SGTAnnounce » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:37 am

I've been using it on a Glock 19 and a few Kahr pistols. I've had pretty good luck. I heat the slide and barrel, I don't cake it on, I let it cool.... wipe it off, then apply some of the liquid. The one Kahr PM 9 sat for at least 6 months, and had zero failures without any additional lube.

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:52 am

Although this product is kinda out of favor locally, I've been using it for 5 years now. I use it on everything, including wood. The original liquid formula had to be shaken before applying, and my understanding is that the newer formula doesn't need to be shaken (I need some btw). I apply the paste (in a thin coat) like I would grease and when the gun gets warm from carrying or shooting, it liquefies as if you applied the liquid formula. If using the paste, and the gun is in a cold environment, it will tend to stay firm until warmed. I think that is where people think that it gums up but a quick warm up and its a non-issue (IMHO). I've never had a failure, knock on wood, using this product. If I shoot a gun, I clean and lube it after every session. My EDC is cleaned every month and the safe guns are cleaned every 5-6 months. Also, it seems like cleaning is easier because I don't think that carbon sticks to a gun lubed with Frog Lube as much as with gun oil. Anyway... My .02 :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

JohnHenryHolliday

Post by JohnHenryHolliday » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:49 pm

I really love everything about the frog lube. I never noticed it gumming up, as some have said. I check this thread periodically to see what others have to say about it as time goes on. I was probably one of the first on board with the frog lube and admittedly I jumped in head first and put it on all my weapons. My experience has been good except I have mild corrosion on the slide of my EDC and my hunting rifle. There’s something noteworthy about both of these items... My EDC presses against my skin all summer long so it has sweat on it frequently, and I only clean it when I shoot it, or every few months. The rifle was once put in a case damp from rain and should’ve aired out before it was put away. That being said, the minor rust on the rifle was between the stock and the barrel, so I probably never applied frog lube there, as I rarely have removed and cleaned under the stock. So I think I still love it. I feel it’s my fault for the minor corrosion that appeared on two of my guns.

I have a new AR pistol and I’m trying to decide whether I want to frog lube it or use one of the other products mentioned in this thread.

Three Gun Nuts
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: All Of Them
Next Firearm: The Rest

Post by Three Gun Nuts » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:12 pm

Still have some Frog Lube in stock for those who need more.
Three Gun Nuts, LLC
421 S. Dishman Mica Rd
Spokane Valley, WA 99206
509-928-6887

Open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, Closed Sat/Sun
Visit us at: http://www.threegunnuts.com/