R.J.
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: AK`s & Glocks
Next Firearm: ....mmmmm

Re: Frog lube

Post by R.J. » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:22 pm

Anyone try blast cleaners w/ it? I' m a fan of them & have READ that the blast solvents(Birchwood Casey, etc.) turn it to a sticky mess.
...one nation, under surveillance, unrecognizable, w/ smart phones & food stamps for all.

WTB - `82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.

BLM - BURN, LOOT, MURDER

wagunguy
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Washington

Post by wagunguy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:49 pm

I spent hours studying lubes.. Not sure I learned much though. I think you could use some 10w30 and do just as well as most lubes or better. I do like Rem Oil sometimes as it mostly evaporates. Good for moisture displacement when you want the gun to later "dry" off.

farmertom
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: S & W 6906
Next Firearm: 1911

Post by farmertom » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Wipe down your plastic mags. Works like armor-all. All the small scratches went away. Used a small amount on the inside of my P-mags. Smoother operation in my opinion.

10mmshooter
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane

Post by 10mmshooter » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:18 pm

I have been using it for a while. I only use it on my range toys. There is some concern about how it works when cold. I did some testing and it confirmed that.

Range toys-Frog Lube
Carry weapon and rifle, synthetic motor oil.

Afterhours
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Afterhours » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:56 am

Just started using this stuff and really like it. I heated first, then a very small amount of paste on a brush. Let gun sit for a half hour, then wipe it down. A little frog oil and good to go. Might be some questions about cold lube, but this stuff cleans easier and better than anything I have used. 10mmshooter, I don't think I would enjoy walking around smelling like motor oil. Does synthetic have an odor?
It's no longer Republicans vs. Democrats, it's Liberty vs. Tyranny

WTB Ruger 10/22 Target

farmertom
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: S & W 6906
Next Firearm: 1911

Post by farmertom » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:07 am

I love this stuff. I use it on the inside and outside of my Pmags and it worked like Armourall to cover scratches. Smoother operation of the mag too. You really can feel the difference after cleaning the weapon.

Skialways222
Accomplished Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: AR15
Next Firearm: AR15

Post by Skialways222 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:32 am

I heard that Frog Lube freezes in cold temperatures. Which is a problem here in the northwest.
ISO -
AR-15 made by Colt, Sig, or LMT
S&W 500 mag revolver (2.75" or 4" barrel)
S&W 686P (2.5" or 3" barrel)

Cameron Kaputa
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Harrington
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: AR-15 pistols
Next Firearm: ???

Post by Cameron Kaputa » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:44 am

If you put the paste in the freezer it becomes solid so others have speculated their firearm could lockup or malfunction. I don't believe this is possible. A proper application of the paste after heating and wiping is so thin that it couldn't bind up the mechanisms. If the liquid CLP were heavily applied and not wiped down after and then frozen, then I could see a problem.

If Frog Lube is not used as directed it could cause problems. That could be said of many products used on firearms.
Cameron

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by bladebum » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:45 am

Skialways222 wrote:I heard that Frog Lube freezes in cold temperatures. Which is a problem here in the northwest.
I haven't had that problem yet. Will test it out this winter. :)
They say it works fine in cold weather.
http://froglube.com/froglube-product-in ... s-answers/
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Skialways222
Accomplished Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: AR15
Next Firearm: AR15

Post by Skialways222 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:42 pm

I want to buy some Frog Lube, maybe ill test it out on one of my beater guns this winter. My favorite lubricant so far is actually Seafoam. I use it for my car/trucks, lawnmowers, weed wackers, atv's, outboard motors etc. Amazing stuff. I tried it out in my guns, they have never functioned so smooth. Amazing stuff that Seafoam. Love it!
ISO -
AR-15 made by Colt, Sig, or LMT
S&W 500 mag revolver (2.75" or 4" barrel)
S&W 686P (2.5" or 3" barrel)

Spike_Goldman
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Spike_Goldman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:26 pm

I'll have to try Frog Lube. I've been using Corrosion X for Guns and I really like the stuff. It doesn't take much and and it's a great lubricant and rust protector. It does a good job cleaning the bore too and I've found it makes future cleanings easier. It's pretty much all I use anymore. It's distributor is here in Spokane. I wish one of the gun stores carried it.

http://www.buycorrosionx.com/index.php? ... 98jp05tq1e
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different. - Kurt Vonnegut

R.J.
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: AK`s & Glocks
Next Firearm: ....mmmmm

Post by R.J. » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:14 pm

I posted a related thread quite a while back which included Frog Lube's corrosion protection effectiveness. It didn't perform well in comparison to Corrossion X & several others. Granted, that's not it's main stated purpose. Weapon Shield & Tri-Flow were among the top corrosion protection performers....as well as EEZOX & Boetech.
...one nation, under surveillance, unrecognizable, w/ smart phones & food stamps for all.

WTB - `82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.

BLM - BURN, LOOT, MURDER

Cameron Kaputa
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Harrington
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: AR-15 pistols
Next Firearm: ???

Post by Cameron Kaputa » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:13 pm

I've been using Frog Lube on AR's the last year without problems. I cleaned my muzzelloader the other day and considered applying FL after. Decided against it because of the lack of corrosion resistance. I still wonder if it was the right move.
Cameron

krob59
SGT Premium Supporter
City: s

Post by krob59 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:25 am

Try it on one gun first and if you like it treat the rest. Once you heat it up and get it into the pours of the metal
It is a pain in the ass to strip it clean if you want to switch lubes. If you don't get it all off before switching the frog lube will deteriorate the new lube and make it useless or the other way around.

The frog lube seems to work pretty good but burns off fast with high heat and the carbon that just wipes away that everyone raves about is in fact the burnt off frog lube and the strong smell would be a very bad idea in a combat or hunting scenario, A deer or enemy would smell it from a mile away.

I do highly recommend frog lube for wood though, It brings old wood stocks back to life like nothing I have ever used and gives wood an incredible luster and glow especially if you heat the wood the same as you would metal parts. The liquid foggy lube is also some of the best degreaser I have ever used.
I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
--Clint Eastwood

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.
--Steve Prefontaine

krob59
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by krob59 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:29 am

It is quite thick when cold but I would imagine after a few rounds down the pipe that problem would go away
I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
--Clint Eastwood

--Steve Prefontaine

10mmshooter
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by 10mmshooter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:22 pm

I have treated a few range toys with it. It seems to help, cleans up easy.

I just treated my mono-core integral suppressor with it. I will see tomorrow if it works or not.

krob59
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by krob59 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:16 am

"UPDATE"

After using this on a few guns for a little over a year I have come to the conclusion that it is garbage! Frog lube does not work in high heat 100s of rounds situations and seems to just turn to water and burn off when getting something like an M4 that hot. When its cold it gums up and makes a mess in something like a .22 and that nice minty smell turns to a nasty musty smell after a few days in a safe, it will make your gun cases, safe ,gunroom, hands, gloves and car stink especially after a wet day at the range.

I thought it was good on wood stocks but when it gets hot even just from sitting in the sun it just turns to water and bleeds out. I have to keep a rag handy to wipe down every time I pick the rifle up, this seeping watery lube then gets on everything causing the musty smell. The smell is not the only problem I have noticed more wear in a shorter period of time in the guns I treated with frog lube than the ones using synthetics.

This is my honest opinion from my honest experience with Frog lube if you read the post above from last year I gave it more than a fair chance it simply did not perform for me and I can't stand how musty everything that was treated with it smells.

My opinion---- Stick with sythetics like Mil-com or safari land CLP if you want performance under high temps, leave the food grade USDA certified bio based crap in the kitchen.
--Clint Eastwood

--Steve Prefontaine

krob59
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by krob59 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:21 am

I f any one wants to try this for themselves I have a bottle of the Frog lube liquid and a can of the paste both 3/4 full I will sell both for $10 I payed like $36 for the kit but don't want it now
--Clint Eastwood

--Steve Prefontaine

Three Gun Nuts
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: All Of Them
Next Firearm: The Rest

Post by Three Gun Nuts » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:55 pm

BTT
Three Gun Nuts, LLC
421 S. Dishman Mica Rd
Spokane Valley, WA 99206
509-928-6887

Open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, Closed Sat/Sun
Visit us at: http://www.threegunnuts.com/

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Post by ghillieinthemist » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:52 am

I've been in Florida and super moist Tennessee and with out the Frog Lube my guns would have for sure began to surface rust...buy the 55 gallon drum and just dip it in. :lol:
Do or do not there is no try.