Off Brand products.... Love them or hate them

Gear Discussion / Reviews ...

Grey Market Items

Take the chance, and save a few bucks
57%
Pay the money for the name and implied quality..
43%

Total votes: 35

JasonH
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Next Firearm: M1 Carbine
SGT Supporter: Yes

Off Brand products.... Love them or hate them

Post by JasonH » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:24 pm

I have in the past found myself buying big named products for my firearms,

But recently I have used a few off brand items..
I mean off brand stuff, Not copies or counterfits of items.
But a product produced by a little know company that is just getting started..

Guntec, Strike Industries, Lucid, and many others..

I just picked up a large scope for a rifle I own,
3x9x50 mil dot with range and illuminated, multi-coated glass, and nitrogen purged.

The reviews on it were very positive, and for the features the price was quite fair..

I'll add more after I get it mounted and sighted in..

Thanks for reading
-Cheeto
Last edited by JasonH on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door to the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.

-John R. Cash

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Re: Grey Market products.... Love them or hate them

Post by thumpar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:36 pm

I wouldn't consider that grey market. Maybe off brand items. It depends on what the use was to know what if I would buy it or not.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter
State: Wa
Next Firearm: M134

Post by Flawlessfoose » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:46 pm

I always try to find reviews first, if I can't then I go with big name.
WARNING... SIGS ARE ADDICTIVE KEEP OUT OF REACH OF ADULTS .

BigDeeeeeeee
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hauser
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Blaser F3
Next Firearm: CZ TSO or Sig P210

Post by BigDeeeeeeee » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:47 pm

Buy once, cry once.
Darren

JasonH
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by JasonH » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:09 pm

I am using grey market, instead of Chinese or Taiwan, or other foreign countries ....
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door to the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.

-John R. Cash

jr1982
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Rathdrum
Favorite Firearm: My FN SCAR
Next Firearm: M1a

Post by jr1982 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Yea ill buy grey market stuff. I just made a watch purchase where it was significantly cheaper (and 100% authentic, had it checked out by a jeweler) because I bought it from an oversupply website. I'm very careful of certain things though, like surefire lights and eotech sights. I won't buy those from overseas or any site that sells any knockoff stuff.

edzz
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
Favorite Firearm: M-14
Next Firearm: TBD

Post by edzz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:13 pm

Off brand is not Grey Market.

In general use the term “Grey Market” has referred to authentic items not imported to the USA for many years. Think Rolex or Omega watches that have been imported by other than factory authorized sources. Many international models are not sold here.

A grey market Land Rover once more is one not intended for our market may have different safety equipment, emissions standards, etc. and maybe headed for the crusher when discovered. http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/ ... 48269.html
Ed

The Few
The Proud

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

JasonH
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by JasonH » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:44 pm

edzz wrote:Off brand is not Grey Market.

In general use the term “Grey Market” has referred to authentic items not imported to the USA for many years. Think Rolex or Omega watches that have been imported by other than factory authorized sources. Many international models are not sold here.

A grey market Land Rover once more is one not intended for our market may have different safety equipment, emissions standards, etc. and maybe headed for the crusher when discovered. http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/ ... 48269.html

Fair enough!

Off brand it is.

-John R. Cash

Wingman82
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: DD MK18 SBR
Next Firearm: Benelli M4 Tactical

Re: Off Brand products.... Love them or hate them

Post by Wingman82 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:10 pm

I almost always go with the name brand american made stuff when i can or atleast the best buy for the money. I don't like gambling on a product that has inferior quality or a company that has poor quality control. The times I have went the cheap route I feel disappointed and wish I had spent the extra.
I agree with the previously mentioned quote "buy once, cry once". Remember in this game you almost always "get what you pay for". Otherwise how would these companies like trijicon, safariland, surefire, etc... even be in business. The trick is being able to find the good sales or deals on the products you want. Its easy to save hundreds on certian products if you search the stores and internet enough.
Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo...
United States Army, 13F, OIF II Veteran

Airon
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Deer Park

Post by Airon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:35 pm

Wingman82 wrote:Otherwise how would these companies like trijicon, safariland, surefire, etc... even be in business. .
Govt contracts. At some point most of the name brands were off brands (or at least lesser known name brands)then comes a gov contract and overnight the price doubles.

Wingman82
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: DD MK18 SBR
Next Firearm: Benelli M4 Tactical

Post by Wingman82 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Yes but if they didnt sell on the civilian market they wouldn't be in almost every gun store you go into. Plus you get the no b.s. lifetime gurantee. Good example is Leupold. A huge line of very high end optics without relying on government contracts. I also understand the "best" is not needed for everyone's intent purpose and might not fit there budget. If you are in a decision between going for the item you want vs. What is less expensive, go with your gut and just buy the better product.
Last edited by Wingman82 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo...
United States Army, 13F, OIF II Veteran

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Airon wrote:
Wingman82 wrote:Otherwise how would these companies like trijicon, safariland, surefire, etc... even be in business. .
Govt contracts. At some point most of the name brands were off brands (or at least lesser known name brands)then comes a gov contract and overnight the price doubles.
I doubt that Bushnell or Nikon and some others have government contracts yet they still have high end products. The contractors may get some ideas on developing new products that meet a need but that is not why they are expensive.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

roger
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: I like them all
Next Firearm: S&W 686

Post by roger » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:38 am

I have tried a few "off brands" in the past, but then after getting "off brand" results I always ended up getting the name brand product. So now I try to stick with just starting off with the name brand to begin with. (In most cases anyway) Example, I bought a holster (for sale on here now) for my G26, wore it twice, didn't like it, then ordered a Galco.

Really for me it depends on what the use for the said item is. If it is something that I will use a lot or depend on then name brand is a must. If not, well then maybe I will go cheaper. (a bit off the topic, but the same goes for tools as well. Most all of mine are name brand, but if its something that I may only use a few times, I will go cheap)

Backlash
SGT Premium Supporter
City: IDAHO
Favorite Firearm: Springfield XDs .45

Post by Backlash » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:30 am

Flawlessfoose wrote:I always try to find reviews first, if I can't then I go with big name.
Same here.
It depends on the type of product also..

Sometimes you do have to dig a little bit. Sometimes you pay for that name tag.. when the "Off Brand" company actually makes both.
Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud, the Red/White/Blue. The other ones got a Rattle snake with a simple statement made, Don't Tread on Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.

albin25
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Lewiston
State: Idaho
Favorite Firearm: Beretta Cheetah 86

Post by albin25 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:28 am

Today's off brand can become tomorrow's name brand
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Post by ghillieinthemist » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:41 pm

I have noticed that certain scope have gone up in price in the last few years. Prices don't go up unless things are going well. Take NC Star for example. you could buy a scope for 15.00 similar is 60.00 it's still a cheap scope but the quality must be good enough for folks not trash customer service and give good feedback on sites like amazon. If I buy a NC star scope or something like that I always use amazon for guidance in the feedback department. It's guys like us trying stuff out and giving our thoughts. You might not like the scope, but for the price is scope really junk or just not a Millet or Vortex. Come on. Will it suit your .22 just fine for the price? Sometimes I read the negative reviews and guys are expecting 1000.00 quality for 45.00 scope...Jesus why did you purchase it ..you obviously knew it was going to be a Leopold. Now the reviews that say ....The dang thing fell apart after the first shot....I stay away from. Low and behold the fine print says the scope is for airsoft rifles....Hmmm. That's sucks that you put it on your .308 and it failed. doooooosh.

Nikon Scopes come on sale at reasonable prices...I like Nikon for that reason alone. Never had a Nikon take a turd on me.
Do or do not there is no try.

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Post by ghillieinthemist » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:44 pm

My son had a bolt action .22 with a simmons scope that may not stand enemy fire if it takes a direct hit but so far it's been perfect for him. :D
Do or do not there is no try.

feilerma
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Mead
Favorite Firearm: 1911a1
Next Firearm: 1903a3

Post by feilerma » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:28 pm

I have a 1911-22 made by GSG. They make the exact same identical gun for SIG Sauer. The only difference is the name on the gun and the price tag. I guess one is off brand and one is name brand. I decided I didn't need the fancy name tag and use the cash I saved for ammo (if only I could find some).
Cum Catapultae Proscriptae Erunt Tum Soli Proscripti Catapultas Habebunt
(If catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)

Backlash
SGT Premium Supporter
City: IDAHO
Favorite Firearm: Springfield XDs .45

Post by Backlash » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:02 pm

feilerma wrote:I have a 1911-22 made by GSG. They make the exact same identical gun for SIG Sauer. The only difference is the name on the gun and the price tag. I guess one is off brand and one is name brand. I decided I didn't need the fancy name tag and use the cash I saved for ammo (if only I could find some).
This is what I was talking about, one company makes both brands.. one sells cheaper.

Now that I think about it, one of the .22 AR-15's is made by an "off brand" company sold under a big name.. But I can't remember, it's been a while since I saw that little tidbit of info.
Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud, the Red/White/Blue. The other ones got a Rattle snake with a simple statement made, Don't Tread on Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.

EWU92
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Winchester
Next Firearm: Taurus Judge

Post by EWU92 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:59 pm

Name brand when I can afford or justify spending the dough, hard to take a fellow shooter seriously when he shows up with a Tasco and I don't want to be that guy. I went on a guided elk hunt a few years back it was ridiculous, like shooting your neighbors Labrador no challenge @ all. One of the other hunters rolled into camp with a high end Weatherby topped with a Tasco, only dude in camp that didn't fill his tag and not for lack of trying he ran out of ammo. A guy can set parameters of acceptability for himself and maintain quality without breaking the bank, argument I hear out of others is typically "I don't need anything that fancy".
This account is shared by two brothers. So don't assume it's me because it could be him.