Eotech vs Aimpoint

Gear Discussion / Reviews ...
tlandoe
Gun Trader
City: Deridder
State: LA

Eotech vs Aimpoint

Post by tlandoe » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:28 pm

I have extensive experience with the Aimpoint Comp M2 (M68 CCO) in a military setting. I have always despised it compared to the eotech 552- I've found that in terms of durability, they are about the same. Otherwise, the field of view and the precision of the eotech has always worked much better for me.

The consensus online seems to be that Aimpoint is the way to go... leagues ahead of the Eotechs, but the only upside I see is battery life. Anybody have any opinions on this one. I want to know why so many people seem to prefer the Aimpoint. Am I just a black sheep?

Low Trq
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Moscow
Favorite Firearm: CZ Scorpion EVO 3
Next Firearm: Glock 43

Re: Eotech vs Aimpoint

Post by Low Trq » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:34 pm

Weight: aimpoint
Durability: aimpoint
Batt life: aimpoint
CQB: eotech

The aimpoint is better in snow also as there are no areas to get blocked up with that white stuff.

This is all my humble opinion obviously.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

tlandoe
Gun Trader

Post by tlandoe » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:39 pm

I've found with a cantilever mount, my aimpoint weighed the same. Durability, I never broke either one, but I beat the hell out of them all. Battery life, yes, the CCO gets it all the way, but that's because it's an LED and not a lazer. My SOPMOD stock can hold extra.

I do like the aimpoints, but I feel like the Eotech beats them on precision, price, and maneuverability.

Low Trq
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Low Trq » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:47 pm

I should have mentioned that I'm comparing it to a T1 micro and not an M68.

Cost either way is a winner for the EoTech for sure. I do like them for certain things, but for my one "go to war rifle" I think that nothing beats an Aimpoint T1 micro.

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by thumpar » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:52 pm

I like the EOtech because of the reticle. If Aimpoint had a similar reticle I may switch but not until then.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

jr1982
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Rathdrum
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: My FN SCAR
Next Firearm: M1a

Post by jr1982 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:53 pm

I prefer the eotech over aimpoint because of the reticle. The battery life doesn't bug me and as far as durability I have to buy whatever I put on my gun with my money so I don't plan on beating them up. I will say the eotech and magnifier setup did add a bit of heft to my SCAR.

Low Trq
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Low Trq » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:29 pm

jr1982 wrote:I prefer the eotech over aimpoint because of the reticle. The battery life doesn't bug me and as far as durability I have to buy whatever I put on my gun with my money so I don't plan on beating them up. I will say the eotech and magnifier setup did add a bit of heft to my SCAR.
I'd always plan on the worst hell you can imagine happening to any weapon of war. I'd hate to be caught with my pants down on a two way range...

tlandoe
Gun Trader

Post by tlandoe » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:47 pm

I beat on my eotechs (within reason) and my Cco when using it on duty. I've never seen an aimpoint or eotech break (and mine are 512s)

Low Trq
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Low Trq » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:03 pm

tlandoe wrote:I beat on my eotechs (within reason) and my Cco when using it on duty. I've never seen an aimpoint or eotech break (and mine are 512s)
Think an eotech could function after this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89HEefl1 ... ata_player

tlandoe
Gun Trader

Post by tlandoe » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:29 pm

Those torture test vids always make me laugh... I really don't see that kind of trauma happening to a rifle (besides the possibility of it getting shot). Paratroopers keep their weapons strapped and in a case, so the falling thing is out of the question, unless it's off of a building, in which case you probably won't be getting it back. I dunno, I really couldn't justify the expense. There's a good reason why the majority of Special Operations Forces prefer the Eotech

Low Trq
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Low Trq » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:36 pm

tlandoe wrote:Those torture test vids always make me laugh... I really don't see that kind of trauma happening to a rifle (besides the possibility of it getting shot). Paratroopers keep their weapons strapped and in a case, so the falling thing is out of the question, unless it's off of a building, in which case you probably won't be getting it back. I dunno, I really couldn't justify the expense. There's a good reason why the majority of Special Operations Forces prefer the Eotech
I disagree with almost everything you just posted.

1. Helicopter crews and passengers don't have their weapons in any cases and often fly with doors off.

2. Most Special Operations soldiers don't get to hand pick their gear from limitless selections.

3. I was a paratrooper and optics get broken all the time.

4. Most shooting professionals who do have the choice, and the funds, choose an Aimpoint T1 (2moa) or 1-4 scope.

tlandoe
Gun Trader

Post by tlandoe » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:27 pm

If you're flying nape in a blackhawk and you drop your weapon out the door... well, that's the 101st for you. :mrgreen:
SOF generally do have more of a choice (SOPMOD, private purchase, discretionary unit funds)
I've never heard of anyone breaking an optic on a drop- NODs sure, but ACOGs and Aimpoints (the only optics I've ever seen jump) never.

Even in my POGtacular trans unit, we had aimpoints on everything except the MGO's. We didn't have the option to use privately purchased optics either. Every other unit in the 82nd did whatever they wanted lol.

I'll still probably be buying a micro for my next build. Gotta catch em all.

Viper-1
City: Coeur d'Alene
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Glock 17 Gen 5
Next Firearm: Agency Arms Glock

Post by Viper-1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:03 pm

I've used both extensively in up close and personal firefights, distance shooting, with night vision, and in every possible setting imaginable....Swamps, deserts, snow, rain, mud, forests, cities, low light to no light, bright as hell, in a car, out of a car, etc. I've used them with triplers, 14's, the aimpoint with the CEU and on everything from 10.5" bbls to 18". 2's, 3's, 4's , T1,and P.R.O. for the aimpoint and the 553 and XPS and and done extensive T and E on both.

As a disclaimer I should say I am probably a little mentally biased for Aimpoint for two reasons.
1: I've broken two Eotechs in the field....never an Aimpoint.
2: I'm an Aimpoint instructor.

I'm as fast and more accurate with the Aimpoint to 200 yards and way faster on the clock for transitioning targets....I hate sh*t cluttering up my reticules. Past two hundred the Eotech gets an edge for speed as related to precision. Smaller dot, easier to see the small target. For low light work from a car, in buildings, forests, etc it's Aimpoint for the win. Again, big red sh*t cluster f*cking up my fov.

I like leaving my stuff on and green lighted so years of battery life is great.

My rifles are tools and I don't try to keep them pretty. Every scar and dent is earned. Eotechs don't hold up to that as well.

Plus I have had WAY to many instances of guys f-ing around trying to turn the thing on and then realizing the battery was dead. Not an Eotech issue, an a$$hole running the gun issue but it happened on all eotechs.

I don't think Eotechs are bad anbd have a buddy who can show up to my gunfight any day with his. I'll roll my Aipmpoint and he'll roll his Eotech. Shoot what works as Kyle Lamb said. Aipmoint works for me.
But, for what it is worth....shoot what works. I'm not saying Eotechs are bad, I'm saying they are not for me
"Sometimes it is completely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer."