jr1982
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Rathdrum
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: My FN SCAR
Next Firearm: M1a

Beware fake eotechs

Post by jr1982 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:31 pm

Recently a member of this forum traded for what was represented as a genuine eotech sight. Here are the pics of what he got:

These pictures were texted to me by the guy who traded it off.

Genuine eotech sights will have an entirely different locking lever and if they do it will basically be an assembly on the bottom that adds about a quarter inch of height to the unit. They will also have a manufacture date and one of those pixel scan stickers. The glass will be non reflective, it will have a purple hue. NV compatible sights do not have a color changing reticle. The reticle will appear grainy too, that is because the light source inside it is a laser and not an LED. They also come in a pelican type case. The ones I have bought did not come with tools or any kind of lens cloth either.

Here is what the bottom of a real quick locking eotech looks like:

Here is a side view of the lever:

Notic the lack of a cheap dongle lever, it has the patent number and manufacture date plus eotech's company address and it says made in the USA.

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Beware fake eotechs

Post by thumpar » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:17 pm

The biggest give away is if the reticle will turn green with the NV button. No real EoTech sight will do that. All the fakes I have seen will have the option of a green reticle. On a real EoTech when you push the NV button you don't see anything unless you have night vision equipment on.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

Papa
Rookie Member
City: Spokane Region

Post by Papa » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:28 am

This particular fake was traded by G3NTL3 Ben to Papa in exchange for Papa's SA Revolver. Papa then confirmed this was a fake directly with EOTech's Michael Kroll.

It toggles between green and red reticles when pushing the NV button. It's highly reflective and difficult to see the reticle in bright daylight. It doesn't have a serial number nor barcode on the bottom. It didn't come in an EOTech water tight case but rather a cardboard box with EOTech markings on it.

EOTech's website: http://www.eotechinc.com/counterfeit-al ... pot-a-fake
To identify a counterfeit product, look for the following:
• Interchangeable red and green reticle colors
• Highly reflective optics
• A visible LED light positioned inside the sight cavity
• NV push button that switches the LED to a different color instead of to a night-vision mode
• Lack of an EOTech manufacturing and serial number sticker
• Uncommon batteries – The counterfeit products often, but not always, require several small, hearing-aid-style batteries

These counterfeit items are often marketed for recreational air-soft use and will not...
• Withstand coil or shock consistent with small to medium weaponry
• Consistently hold or maintain battle zero
• Withstand drop tests or excessive shock
• Offer any waterproof protection
• Offer the advantages provided by true holographic technology
• Offer dependable, reliable performance for any military, law enforcement, or competitive, real-weapon application
Last edited by Papa on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

JMcKinsey
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W 586
Next Firearm: winchester 150/250

Post by JMcKinsey » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:00 pm

I picked up a fake Eotech from a member here. He was honest about is being a fake it was sold to him a real scope and he was trying to recoop some money out of it. For what they are they are not be I put the one I got an a 22. Beware this seems to be an ongoing issue with these being passed as real.