Glock 20

Discuss Glock pistols and Glock related topics...
Usnwarvet
SGT Premium Supporter
City: WA

Glock 20

Post by Usnwarvet » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:56 pm

Just bought my first 10mm (G20 GEN4) after shooting my buddy's old S&W (forgot the model) in 10mm. I shout 500 rounds through it today and am hooked. I'm a total Sig Sauer nut (have 8), but this guns is one bad SOB. I love the round, the recoil, the power behind it. Need more ammo, but I am 100% convinced that Glock made a fantastic pistol. Nice job and converting a metal frame guy to a poly frame. Ted Nugent would be proud.....

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: Wa
Next Firearm: M134

Re: Glock 20

Post by Flawlessfoose » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:36 pm

Glad to here you got yourself a Glock and like it.
Welcome to the dark side 8-)
WARNING... SIGS ARE ADDICTIVE KEEP OUT OF REACH OF ADULTS .

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:30 am

Usnwarvet wrote:Just bought my first 10mm (G20 GEN4) after shooting my buddy's old S&W (forgot the model) in 10mm. I shout 500 rounds through it today and am hooked. I'm a total Sig Sauer nut (have 8), but this guns is one bad SOB. I love the round, the recoil, the power behind it. Need more ammo, but I am 100% convinced that Glock made a fantastic pistol. Nice job and converting a metal frame guy to a poly frame. Ted Nugent would be proud.....
The beauty of the Poly frame in this application is that it absorbs recoil forces. that means the gun can handle hotter ammo with ease. Factory 10 mm ammo is loaded below the max pressure of 37,500 psi, usually to 35,000 psi same as the 40 S&W but it still develops more velocity & energy than the 40 because the larger case allows for more propellant. And the fact that the frame absorbs recoil force, while that's a plus for the shooter, it's even a bigger plus for the gun itself not developing stresses that can lead to breakage. I would LOVE to own a Colt Delta elite, but I would not shoot the Buffalo bore or double tap loads in it and I would also make other modfications to the gun just to handle my reloads. The Colt Delta Elite was probably why the original ballistics were modified in the first place.

But originally the 10mm Norma ammo was loaded with a 200 grain bullet and developed 1200 fps and probably was loaded right up to the very edge of 37,500 psi pressure.

Today, Buffalo Bore offers that original loading of a 200 grain flatnose FMJ developing 1200 fps for 639 Ft/lbs of energy.
Double Tap has a load that drives a 200 grain FMJ @ 1275 fps for 722 Ft/lbs of energy.
Underwood has a load that drives a 200 grain TMJ @ 1250 fps for 694 Ft/lbs of energy.

by comparison, Hornady has a 200 grain XTPHP load that drives a 200 grain FMJ @ 1050 fps for 490 Ft/lbs of energy
PMC has a FMJ TC 200 grain load that develops 1050 fps for 490 Ft/lbs of energy
And CCI/Speer Blazer 200gr fmj ammo also develops 1050 fps for 490 Ft/lbs of energy
A 200 grain bullet @ 1050 fps for 490 Ft/lbs of energy appears to be the current industry standard as opposed to the original Norma load.

If you reload, and you refer to the Loadbooks USA manual for 10mm and 40 S&W, there are several loads that exceed the standard factory ballistics for both 200 and 180 grain loads, and do so without exceeding 37,500 psi and most are under that maximum pressure level. Another interesting fat that turns up when looking at the data on that manual is that 40 S&W is really not that far behind the 10mm when available factory ammo ballistics are considered, but when reloading both cartridges, you're going to get more improvement out of the 10mm than you are the 40 compared to factory ammo.

However, there is NO WAY with the 10mm that a reloader can approach the velocity figures of the specialty ammo companies, Buffalo bore Doeble Tap, Underwood, without using a test barrel with a strain gauge to measure pressure along with a chronograph to measure velocity. I haven't included Cor-Bon data here because all of their loads are for bullets lighter than 165 grains and trading bullet mass for velocity is not an effective trade-off.

Just as an example, Cor-bon's 165 grain load only develops 1250fps / 537ft/lbs which doesn't compare well with the heavier bullet loads such as the Double Tap load that drives a 200 grain bullet @ 1275 fps for 722 Ft/lbs of energy, and while cor-bon's lighter weight bullets develop more energy on paper, it's like like the 22-250 develops more ft/lbs of energy on paper than the 45/70, but real-world results on big game like grizzly bear or buffalo favor the 45/70 over the 22-250 by a wide margin.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

MisterB1
Accomplished Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: Dan Wesson 1911

Post by MisterB1 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:03 am

Ah, yes. The mighty G20 10mm. I love mine. Love my Sig next to it too

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:28 pm

MisterB1 wrote:Ah, yes. The mighty G20 10mm. I love mine. Love my Sig next to it too
What kind of sights are those in the mighty Glock ?
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

MisterB1
Accomplished Gun Trader

Post by MisterB1 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:35 am

ron wrote:
MisterB1 wrote:Ah, yes. The mighty G20 10mm. I love mine. Love my Sig next to it too
What kind of sights are those in the mighty Glock ?
TruGlo TFO's. They're really easy to see in bright or dark conditions.

RLHas
Local SGT Sponsor
City: Medical Lake
Favorite Firearm: Springfield EMP .40
Next Firearm: AR 10 or Bolt action
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by RLHas » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:40 am

Those look like Tru Glo TFO's
Sweet Pistol!
My Glock Doc
509-869-2754
Call for appointment

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NRA Member

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:53 am

MisterB1 wrote:
Oh yeah, those are not just fiber optic, they're tritium as well. Now I want to get some for my Glock...THANKS A LOT! :evil:

MisterB1
Accomplished Gun Trader

Post by MisterB1 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:14 pm

ron wrote:
MisterB1 wrote:
Oh yeah, those are not just fiber optic, they're tritium as well. Now I want to get some for my Glock...THANKS A LOT! :evil:
Lol. I know of two guys this week alone that went out and bought themselves a G20, after seeing pics of mine, so be glad it's just sights and you already have a G20 :D

Anyway, the best deal I found was on Amazon. Free shipping too

If you need help installing them, I have all the proper tools, and did my own

Here are more pics

Usnwarvet
SGT Premium Supporter
City: WA

Post by Usnwarvet » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:39 pm

I put 250 rounds through it this weekend. I have the hugest boner over it. Honestly, I should have bought a 10mm sooner. Love that round...

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:58 pm

Usnwarvet wrote:I put 250 rounds through it this weekend. I have the hugest boner over it. Honestly, I should have bought a 10mm sooner. Love that round...

I'm getting those tru-glo's put on mine tomorrow by the Glock Doc. And next weekend, not this coming weekend, but the weekend after, I'm going to be able to show it off to some friends. One guy I know will be up here visiting from Portland and he has a real nice Colt Defender that he says is amazingly accurate. I bought a box of Armscor 10mm 180 grain fmj's to try out and will compare them to some other brands of ammo.

They're only 20 bucks a box of 50 at DE Pawn on Francis. Most 10mm and 45 ACP I'm seeing is usually no less than about $22.00 per 50.

Here's a pic of the Defender. Forgive me for posting an early 20th century all-steel technology gun on the Glock forum but I love 'em all. My friend paid about $900-1000 for his. I think his might have the neoprene wrap-arounds with the finger grooves.

high country
Serious Gun Trader
City: otis orchards
Favorite Firearm: I build what I want
Next Firearm: my build

Post by high country » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:31 am

Sorry for being so late. .....here's the delta with the g20, and my new pet, ria.