Glock combat holster

Discuss Glock pistols and Glock related topics...
TommyJ
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Wilbur
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 43X, SW 60 pro

Glock combat holster

Post by TommyJ » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:49 am

Can someone give me a review on the Glock combat holster? Fit, Feel, etc.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Re: Glock combat holster

Post by ron » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:12 am

TommyJ wrote:Can someone give me a review on the Glock combat holster? Fit, Feel, etc.

It looks to me like a friction retention system holster with belt loops rather than a paddle. I prefer a mechanical locking system like on the Blackhawk Serpa especially for a large frame gun.

Right now I have a friction retention Fobus for my G23 and I carried it on a road trip and it was adequate for the size and weight of the Glock 23 .40 but I didn't have to do any running or jumping or rolling on the ground so It never got to be torture-tested for retention. but for my personal use as a geezer who doesn't generally do a lot of running and jumping if I don't have to, it's a good holster for a very good price.

Some people say Fobus is junk but people who say that probably never saw one up close much less actually bought one and used it. And now I see that Fobus is making a mechanical retention holster but it costs 40 bucks, about the same price as the Blackhawk Sportster SERPA. I have a Blackhawk Serpa for my G20 SF and I like how good the retention is, how fast the gun can be drawn and re-holstered and also the added comfort of the paddle arrangement.

I took a combat pistol class years ago with an Los Angeles Police Department instructor . This was someone who had been in actual shoot-outs on the streets and one thing he stressed was having a holster that made it easy to re-holster the gun in a stress situation. According to him, quite often in actual street shoot-outs it isn't all that uncommon for someone to survive the deadly encounter only to shoot themselves in the leg attempting to re-holster the gun while being jacked up on adrenaline.

So without actually seeing the Glock Combat holster trying it out, my initial evaluation is that in terms of retention for any of the mid-sized or compact Glocks it's probably adequate but being a belt loop holster it isn't going to be as comfortable as a paddle holster. But for the price of fifteen dollars, it would be easy to just go ahead an get one and see for yourself.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Vindic8
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: WC EDC X9
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Vindic8 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:03 pm

I personally do not like a holster where any portion of the muzzle sticks out the bottom. Any sitting, crouching, squatting motion that brings your legs up toward your belt-line runs the risk of pushing upwards on the exposed muzzle and spilling the gun out of the holster. It's an accident waiting to happen.

My 2 cents.

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by bladebum » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:24 pm

Vindic8 wrote:I personally do not like a holster where any portion of the muzzle sticks out the bottom. Any sitting, crouching, squatting motion that brings your legs up toward your belt-line runs the risk of pushing upwards on the exposed muzzle and spilling the gun out of the holster. It's an accident waiting to happen.

My 2 cents.
+1 Also, that front site is pretty important and having it exposed risks it being damaged by impact and/or hooking it on the holster edge during the draw. :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

TommyJ
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Wilbur
Favorite Firearm: Glock 43X, SW 60 pro

Post by TommyJ » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:31 pm

Thanks gentlemen, I prefer my blade tech also.