Disadvantages of Glock Grip Reduction

Discuss Glock pistols and Glock related topics...
Gewehr 43
City: Ephrata WA
Favorite Firearm: Hmm...
Next Firearm: Glock 20 10MM

Disadvantages of Glock Grip Reduction

Post by Gewehr 43 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:02 pm

I was wondering it there are any opinions on the disadvantages of grip reductions on Glocks. I realize it might resale value… I'm uninterested in that aspect, but rather on the possible negative aspects to the durability, hardiness, etc… Does is effect the frame? (Especially when considering the 10mm and some potent loads).

bigredram3500
Gun Trader
City: Post Falls
State: Idaho

Re: Disadvantages of Glock Grip Reduction

Post by bigredram3500 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:35 pm

For what its worth, I've done a grip reduction, chop and stipple job on a Glock 19, 23 and 20 with no problems. My Glock 20 is my current EDC running full power loads, heavy spring and 6" barrel and its held up wonderfully.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:47 am

bigredram3500 wrote:For what its worth, I've done a grip reduction, chop and stipple job on a Glock 19, 23 and 20 with no problems. My Glock 20 is my current EDC running full power loads, heavy spring and 6" barrel and its held up wonderfully.

I think if it's done right there won't be any structural degradation, but the potential is most assuredly there if you sand or grind some area too thin or melt the polymer to the point where it starts to bubble.

I've never tried anything beyond just sanding the tips off of the finger grooves or cutting a relief under the trigger guard so I don't know how the polymer reacts to melting it. But it sounds like bigredram3500 knows how to work with the polymer and has re-shaped the grip on his guns successfully

But I would never try to do it myself although I've considered having it done by someone who knows what they're doing to remove the "bump" on the lower part of the back of the grip and changing the back of the grip so that it's more like a 1911, but by now I've been shooting my Glocks, a 19, a 23, and a 20SF, long enough so that grip shape being different than a 1911 doesn't bother me anymore. And just sanding down the tops of the finger grooves on the Gen3 20SF has made a big difference along with it being an SF which is the same grip as the Gen4 which most people like better.

And also the 19 and 23 are both gen 2 so there's no stupit finger grooves to have to deal with there.

Grip sleeves might also be an alternative to re-shaping the grip even though they don't reduce grip size and a grip sleeve in addition to a grip reduction might also be a way to go but it has to be a gun that you don't plan to sell unless you're prepared to give up some resale value.

And also the 19 and 23 are both gen 2 so there's no stupit finger grooves to have to deal with there.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

bigredram3500
Gun Trader
City: Post Falls
State: Idaho

Post by bigredram3500 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:17 pm

Thanks Ron, your right. I should add you can turn the polymer brittle if heated to high or for too long. I use the candle method and warm it very slowly and just to the point of pliability. It shouldn't be easy to shape or you've gone too far. Thats what Ive been told anyways.