Gen 3 Glock 19 compensator

Discuss Glock pistols and Glock related topics...
casten_nukes
Serious Gun Trader
City: Coeur d alene
State: Idaho
Favorite Firearm: Sig M18
Next Firearm: GLOCK!!!

Gen 3 Glock 19 compensator

Post by casten_nukes » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:08 pm

Do I need to change out my guide rod and spring if I add a lone wolf 2 port compensator on my gen 3 Glock 19?

Nathan1984
City: Spokane/wa

Re: Gen 3 Glock 19 compensator

Post by Nathan1984 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:08 am

No change in recoil system necessary.

Having said that, I can't get behind any of lone wolfs products anymore. I've used several of their barrels and been generally happy with them, until I wasn't. Decided to try out their 4 port internally compensated barrel. It blew my front sight off. Their response was "tough luck, should only use a brass bead front sight". After several calls, emails, and blasting them via Facebook they finally agreed to a return at a 25% restocking fee. I sent it in and they saw the engraving I had paid them to do and decided they couldn't resell it, offered to shave the engraving off so I could put it on eBay (but apparently it being off wasn't good enough to return to their stock).

I've very satisfied with storm lake barrels.

casten_nukes
Serious Gun Trader

Post by casten_nukes » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:31 am

Thank you for the response, as I have researched and found that it could possibly throw off the timing of the slide. I was unsure if I needed to replace the guide rod with a stainless steel one (which I may do regardless), and change to an 11 or 13 pound spring. This is my first order from LW and I will say I am happy, for now. The received the product within 3 day of placing the order and it is exactly what I ordered. I am unsure of the fit yet because the firearm it is being installed on still has yet to arrive.

Nathan1984

Post by Nathan1984 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:34 pm

11, even 13 would batter the hell out of your frame unless you're using reduced loads. You're not losing much energy on barrels compensated towards the tip vs standard barrels. It can be a bit (but not much of) a different story when you're talking about comp cuts in the middle, even then I tend to stick to the 15LBS/17LBS springs.

LW was doing pretty great for me, until they weren't. I wouldn't suspect you would have problems with them. I just vowed to them during our heated exchange that I would tell my story far and wide.

A buddy had Magna-Port drill into a smith and Wesson revolver of his in the 80's. They cut it wrong, and the front sight was getting blasted. They bought him a new gun, no hassle. These guys acted like the 300 Spartans over $150.

Nathan1984

Post by Nathan1984 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:39 pm

Also, rather than stainless steel, you might want to try a tungsten rod. Bit spendy but not much more, worthwhile upgrade, twice the heft of stainless. Buy once, cry once.

casten_nukes
Serious Gun Trader

Post by casten_nukes » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:18 pm

Figures the compensator will not thread onto the stock Glock barrel. Let me guess...I have to order a lone wolf threaded barrel, which they neglect to mention.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:45 pm

Nathan1984 wrote:Also, rather than stainless steel, you might want to try a tungsten rod. Bit spendy but not much more, worthwhile upgrade, twice the heft of stainless. Buy once, cry once.

I question if the tungsten recoil spring guides really make that much difference. True, they weigh twice as much as steel but steel weighs 5-6 times as much as plastic and I replaced all my plastic guide rods on the basis of "what CAN go wrong, WILL go wrong, in other words insurance against breakage, and I haven't been able to detect any difference in recoil impulse between the plastic guide rod and the stainless after shooting each gun before and after, either in a 19, a 23, the 23 with 357 sig barrel, or the 10mm Glock 20.

Maybe I really don't understand how the heavier guide rod is supposed to work. Are we assuming that it's like extra barrel weight on a revolver such as the Colt python with the full-length barrel underlug?

Because if that's the case even the tungsten rod that's only about 3/16ths of an inch thick and 2 1/2 inches long is hardly any weight at all in proportion to the total weight of the gun.

And as I said, the even greater difference of the plastic rod compared to the steel on was not a difference that I could feel so either I'm not very perceptive to very slight difference in recoil, OR the people that DO feel a difference are imagining it as some sort of placebo effect like when a doctor gives you a sugar pill and you imagine that it makes you feel better, or like the children's story about the little duck who thought he couldn't swim until the wise old owl gave him a skyhook that made him believe helped keep him afloat.

But then again maybe I'm full of crap since I've never shot a Glock with a tungsten guide rod but it just doesn't seem logical to me because it's such a small part of the overall weight of the gun. :?
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Nathan1984

Post by Nathan1984 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:36 am

You're right in that there's not much of a felt recoil difference. There is however a marked difference in split times between on target shots.

jderosierp13
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Roland Special
Next Firearm: All of them

Post by jderosierp13 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:02 am

Nathan1984 hit the nail on the head. Feel has nothing to due with the facts. You need to measure split times in order to prove or disprove the use of certain "upgrades," guide rods and compensators being two of them. I'll suggest a Comped KKM barrel if you're looking for a quality match grade barrel. They're robust.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:12 pm

jderosierp13 wrote:Nathan1984 hit the nail on the head. Feel has nothing to due with the facts. You need to measure split times in order to prove or disprove the use of certain "upgrades," guide rods and compensators being two of them. I'll suggest a Comped KKM barrel if you're looking for a quality match grade barrel. They're robust.

KKM barrels are XLNT! I have a KKM 9mm Conversion barrel in my Glock 23. It works flawlessly and is beautifully machined. I put a whole 50 rounds continuously through it with a KCI/SGM Tactical 50 round Drum Magazine. My glock 23 is 2 guns in one because I also have a 357 sig mag. I would also like to get a 22 TCM conversion barrel and slide for it.

RLHas the Glock Doc does not like the conversion barrels probably because the extractor does not grip as much of the rim and it does with the larger 40 S&W case head but it seems to be able to get a good enough purchase to allow the gun to function reliably even with steel case ammo. The chamber in my barrel is just ls9ightly offset to the right for the extractor to work but when I say slightly, I'm talking a very small amount.

I have a lot of respect for rick's opinion so I figure I'll never use the 9mm conversion barrel in the G23 as my carry or home defense gun. I would use either the 40 barrel or the 357 barrels for defense and just use the 9mm barrel for practice & plinking.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Xon2130
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Coeur d'Alene
State: IDAHO
Favorite Firearm: Wilson CQB
Next Firearm: 338-378 WBY
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Xon2130 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:33 pm

I put a Lonewolf threaded barrel and alpha wolf comp on my Gen 4 G19 and it wouldn't cycle White box ammo after I applied the compensator.(stove piping) I don't know if different springs would make the difference, or if there just wasn't enough pressure to fully cycle the slide. But I didn't have good luck with it. So maybe different springs or stouter ammo would help.

casten_nukes
Serious Gun Trader

Post by casten_nukes » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:04 pm

Using 127g ammo and still having the same issue with it not cycling. Haven't changed the spring yet. Any other ideas?

Nathan1984

Post by Nathan1984 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:00 am

casten_nukes wrote:Using 127g ammo and still having the same issue with it not cycling. Haven't changed the spring yet. Any other ideas?
Well. That depends on what you mean by not cycling. Are you having an issue going into battery? Back that comp off a bit. Are you failing to feed? Try some 115gr white box. Change the springs. Dump the LW stuff.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:44 am

casten_nukes wrote:Using 127g ammo and still having the same issue with it not cycling. Haven't changed the spring yet. Any other ideas?
Most likely you need to change the spring. I suggest that you consult an expert to know what weight spring to use. RLHas on the forum is otherwise known as The Glock Doc. he's a factory certified Glock armorer and you should arrange to go to his shop and take your gun in and talk to him. He's a nice guy and won't charge you anything for xpert advice. He will know exactly what weight spring you need and might even have one in stock. Call first because he's probably more busy these days than he used to be. This is someone every gun owner needs to know. Firearms Finishing also does excellent restoration of classic guns and does the best Parkerizing I've ever seen. I ordered an Israeli police surplus Browning Hi-Power using FF as my FFL and they parkerized it after Rick did a thorough cleaning and a trigger job and now it's just about my most prized possession. Scott, who ownd FF is an excellent gunsmith in his own right, but his expertise is in refinishing and re-bluing, anodizing and parkerizing metal. Firearm Finishing is a place every gun owner needs to know!

Call 509-487-4145 ask for Rick the Glock Dock

Firearm Finishing Inc.

1615 E Holyoke Ave, Spokane, WA 99217

Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-6pm

Sat 9am-5pm

Here's his facebook page if you do facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/MyGlockDoc/

And check out their website, that's a picture of MY Belgian Browning ATD on their home page that they partially restored for me, they did the metal and the trigger job, I did the wood with multi-layers of Tung Oil which perfectly duplicated the original finish, while they were able to perfectly duplicate the original blueing.

http://www.firearmfinishinginc.com/