Gen 4 Finish issue

Discuss Glock pistols and Glock related topics...
nrthwst
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Sig Scorpion 1911
Next Firearm: Glock 19 fde

Gen 4 Finish issue

Post by nrthwst » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:46 pm

Bought it less than a week
Did a few draw drills
And wow it rubbed off like crazy

Anyone else have a clue why?

My gen 3 19 has had a million times the use and looks great still

Wambsgans
City: Ephrata
Favorite Firearm: Gen4 glock 17

Re: Gen 4 Finish issue

Post by Wambsgans » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:42 am

Iv noticed the same issue with my gen 4 17. The finish is more smoothe then the gen 3 guns. My gen 4 26 has the old style of finish on it and have had no issues with it getting scratched or rubbed off. I talked to glock about it and they told me I could send my slide in and they would check it out. I didn't want to wait for the turn around time so I haven't sent it in.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:29 am

If it were me, I might like to shoot the gun a little more before sending it in but I would definitely contact Glock and have them send me a mailing label and get them to fix it. Glock's Tennifer finish is normally very durable. Tennifer is a nitriding process. Nitriding is used to harden crankshaft journals for high performance engine rebuilds. But there are different ways to do nitriding of steel, and the way Glock does it is described below. Notice that it isn't easy to get a thick surface finish and I suspect something went wrong when they did the slide for your gun.

Most likely Glock screwed up when they decided to give the gen 4's a smoother finish because I've heard other people complain about this with the gen 4 guns. If something isn't broke, you should never try to fix it. I have gen 3 G20SF that I bought new and G23 that was a police trade-in and the used one still looks good in spite of being a trade-in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salt bath ferritic nitrocarburizing[edit]

Salt bath ferritic nitrocarburizing is also known as liquid ferritic nitrocarburizing or liquid nitrocarburizing[11] and is also known by the trademarked names Tufftride[2] and Tenifer.[12]

The simplest form of this process is encompassed by the trademarked Melonite process, also known as Meli 1. It is most commonly used on steels, sintered irons, and cast irons to lower friction and improve wear and corrosion resistance.[13][14]

The process uses a salt bath of alkali cyanate. This is contained in a steel pot that has an aeration system. The cyanate thermally reacts with the surface of the workpiece to form alkali carbonate. The bath is then treated to convert the carbonate back to a cyanate. The surface formed from the reaction has a compound layer and a diffusion layer. The compound layer consists of iron, nitrogen, and oxygen, is abrasion resistant, and stable at elevated temperatures. The diffusion layer contains nitrides and carbides. The surface hardness ranges from 800 to 1500 HV depending on the steel grade. This also inversely affects the depth of the case; i.e. a high carbon steel will form a hard, but shallow case.[13]
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

F350Crew
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls IDAHO!!
Favorite Firearm: 6.5 GAP/1911
Next Firearm: Lever 44 Mag

Post by F350Crew » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:44 pm

i too noticed that on my gen 4 g22 and on my wife's and mine g42's. Not real bad but noticeable and neither of us liked it. I took them down to "IdCerakoteGuy" Chris, he owns and operates Long Range Customs in Post Falls where he did a fantastic Cerakote job on each of them. Give him a call and set up a time to meet up with him, you'll not be disappointed. Chris 208-704-0990
:{)
"Integrity & Honor"

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: AAC MPW
Next Firearm: Uzi/MP5/Mac-10

Post by Torakan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Interesting. I'm picking up a Gen 4 19MOS in the next few days. I'll have to watch how the finish wears.
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

Haynes and Sons Guns
Local SGT Sponsor
City: Spokane
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: Glock
Next Firearm: Hadron Enforcer

Post by Haynes and Sons Guns » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:21 am

Glock no longer finishes their guns in Tennifer, this started going away with the US made Glock's, something about the finish being poisonous to apply. The Gen 4 IMHO is a whole mess of "it wasn't broke, but they fixed it anyway". We want a rougher frame texture, that one is too rough, that one is just right, we want less felt recoil, wait the compensated models are too much, lets wrap a bunch o springs up and that should finish it. They screwed with finger grooves, grip sizes, even tried AMBI mag releases with the SF's. Now we are all happy because FINALLY they made a Tiffany Blue model, thank God for that.
Haynes and Sons Guns LLC

$35 Transfers- $25 Veterans, First Responders

PLEASE TEXT ONLY!
TEXT- (509)475-8125

We are members of and financially endorse and support:
The National Rifle Association, www.nra.org
The Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org
The Silent Majority Foundation, www.smfjb.org
The Conservative Ladies of Washington, www.conservativeladiesofwa.com

Nathan1984
City: Spokane/wa