The New FBI Glock 17M

Discuss Glock pistols and Glock related topics...
ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

The New FBI Glock 17M

Post by ron » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:05 pm

The New FBI Glock 17M this is going to be the FBI's new Duty gun. There will also be a G19M version.

•A new tougher finish
•Changes in the rifling
•Longer recoil spring assembly
•Reinforced forward notch for the recoil spring assembly
•A smoother trigger similar to the G42/43
•Flared magwell
•No finger grooves!!!
•Changes in the safety plunger
•Ambidextrous slide release
•Magazines have an extended front lip
•Magazine well cutout
•No finger grooves!!!

The New FBI Glock 17M

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: Wa
Next Firearm: M134

Re: The New FBI Glock 17M

Post by Flawlessfoose » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:27 am

That is a major overhaul! For the most part I like the sound of it.
But makes me wonder why the did a longer recoil assembly and reinforced notch. To shoot hotter loads regularly?
And why change the rifling. to shoot lead?
Hope they release to the public.

I'd to try a 19m
WARNING... SIGS ARE ADDICTIVE KEEP OUT OF REACH OF ADULTS .

BigDeeeeeeee
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hauser
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Blaser F3
Next Firearm: CZ TSO or Sig P210

Post by BigDeeeeeeee » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:20 am

Tougher finish? Had Glock quit using Tennifer? The older Glocks I've had were as tough as it gets.
Darren

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:58 am

BigDeeeeeeee wrote:Tougher finish? Had Glock quit using Tennifer? The older Glocks I've had were as tough as it gets.
I read even here on SGT, people having issues with there gen 4 finishes wearing very quick from holster wear.
I do believe they changed there formula.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:01 am

Flawlessfoose wrote:That is a major overhaul! For the most part I like the sound of it.
But makes me wonder why the did a longer recoil assembly and reinforced notch. To shoot hotter loads regularly?
And why change the rifling. to shoot lead?
Hope they release to the public.

I'd to try a 19m
No word on why they change ther rifling, but they did change it from polygonal to standard land-and -groove. That couild have been an FBI or military requirement because I think Glock want to win the contract for the replacement of the Beretta 92 as the US military sidearm, and that muight als be what the 'M' stands for--"Military"

Gere's a picture of the 19M. Personally I don't care for the forward slide serrations because they encourage people to put their hands too close to the muzzle of a loaded gun, while at the same time holding the gun in a position that is not muzzle-forward. But this might not be done on the gun once it goes into production because the pictures of the 17M doesn't have them. Also a civilian version of one or maybe both guns is expected to show up at the 2017 Shot Show.

As far as the tougher finish I think Glock has had problems with the Tennifer (which is Nitriding) because it ends up being thinner the harder that the steel is tempered. Once they started tempering the slides harder they had problems with holster wear that they didn't have with the older guns. Also if you compare this picture to the picture of the 17M you'll notice that this one has the extended slide release which I also highly approve of. I have those on both my Glocks.

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:27 am

I know the navy seals are switching to the G19 gen 3. But I didn't k ow glock was trying to get the military to replace the 92. That probably would mean a external safety being added.

Either way, I like the changes on this 17m/19m .
It will be interesting to see how these stack up to the older versions

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by thumpar » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:35 am

The military has been talking about replacing the 92 for years. I don't think a safety would be needed since the 92G doesn't have one.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:49 pm

thumpar wrote:The military has been talking about replacing the 92 for years. I don't think a safety would be needed since the 92G doesn't have one.

Yes but the 92G is a DA/SA with a de-cocker. A DA/SA. The Military Brass considers a DA/SA safe because of the long, heavy first shot trigger pull.

The NYPD didn't consider the first shot trigger pull of the striker-fired Glock to be safe so they retro-fitted their guns with a 12 pound trigger. The NYPD also uses the Sig P226 which has a heavy first shot trigger pull but the NYPD requires that those guns be made DA Only so every shot has a hard trigger pull. Police bureaucrats and military bureaucrats think alike so it wouldn't surprise me if the military either required the Glock to have either a heavier trigger pull or some kind of added safety.

In my opinion if they really had to ADD a safety to the Glock, the best option would be a grip safety like the Springfields have, and like the 1911 has

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:17 pm

Another interesting thing I found about these new Glocks is that the "M" designations most likely does stand for "Military" and these guns are probably contenders for the Modular Handgun System contract as well. A website called "Bearing Arms.com" was of the opinion that specifications listed by the FBI were designed to favor the Sig Sauer P320 system and exclude all other contenders but that the newly designed Glock "M" series has now beat out the Sig and that might give it a leg up on winning the Modular Handgun System contract as well.

Here's info on the Sig Sauer P320, a gun that I don't like because of it's magazine disconnect safety because I like guns that go bang every time you pull the trigger even if you accidently drop the mag,

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductD ... -full.aspx

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:55 pm

Here's a good article about the FBI spending 85million on Glocks and why they are switching to the 9mm.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/fbi-aw ... m-pistols/

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by thumpar » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:42 pm

Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:12 pm

Wow, a recall already ?
I don't know why the strayed from the internal design of the gen 3, that was "perfection".
The grip frame was the only thing that need work.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:32 am

Flawlessfoose wrote:Wow, a recall already ?
I don't know why the strayed from the internal design of the gen 3, that was "perfection".
The grip frame was the only thing that need work.

Agree 100%. The only thing that they needed to do was to replace the dumbass plastic guide rod for the spring with a stainless steel unit. And as far as beefing up the front of the slide after enlarging the part in the front of the slide that retains the spring, all they needed to do to make it stronger was to make it thicker from front to back. And they probably did that when they made the larger hole but there was no need to change from the Gen 3 single spring to a multiple spring system. They could have just gone to a larger outside diameter if they needed a stronger spring while keeping the same inside diameterand using the same spring guide rod but make the guide rod out of stainless steel instead of plastic and then Loctite the Allen head screw into place.

Rumor has it that the problem showed up when certain guns had been dry-fired multiple times and the slides started falling off. I would guess that might have had something to do with the take down latch but I'm not a gunsmith so my guess might be wrong.

But just plain common sense tells me that the gen 3 springs worked perfectly and if something isn't broke the worst thing you can do is fix it.