Discuss AR / M4 / M16 / AK / SKS...
pacnw
Gun Trader
City: North of Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: one that goes bang!!

AR10 scope recommendations

Post by pacnw » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:47 pm

Looking for a scope for my new toy.

Went to Cabela's and the counter guy seemed very knowledgeable on products and real life experience, he said go Leupold. also, use a solid mount, not rings.

Any suggestions, comments, advice welcome.

Per mfr, range is 800 yds. Most likely I will never shoot at that distance. This will be more for those times the AR15 won't reach out far enough.

Thanks

Zebthemighty1
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Deer Park
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them.........
Next Firearm: Soon......

Re: AR10 scope recommendations

Post by Zebthemighty1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:44 pm

After a lot of research I went with the Vortex Viper HS-LR 4-16x44 with a one piece Vortex 30MM mount for my AR-10.
I think I spent around $450 on the scope and $90 on the mount, Vortex has awesome optics and an unconditional lifetime warranty, I would definitely check out Vortex!
Just my 2 cents.
"nuts!"

Machete
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Lewiston
Favorite Firearm: Sig Scorpion 1911
Next Firearm: SCAR-17 SBR

Post by Machete » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:12 am

I'm using a Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16x50 w/ MRAD and a Viper one piece mount on my AR10. I couldn't be happier with it. Throw on a bubble level, some scope caps and a throw lever and you'll never outgrow it.

seekers
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Newman Lake, WA
Favorite Firearm: Seekins SP10 308
Next Firearm: Thinking...
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by seekers » Sat May 02, 2015 9:11 pm

Went to Cabela's and the counter guy seemed very knowledgeable on products and real life experience, he said go Leupold. also, use a solid mount, not rings.
Just like buying at Cabela's, with Leupold you're paying for the name. I have several Vortex scopes and have been very happy with them. There are discount places to get the same scopes for less online.

I agree also with the one piece mount over rings, it is more solid and a lot of times you can get some MOA built into the mount, +10 or +20 MOA. Giving you more range than your scope might have built into it.

It depends on what you're going to use it for. Some have the 1-4, 1-6 power range to have the option of close quarter but also turn up the power for more range. One other option is with the lower power being in the 4-6X range up to 14-16 or more. This is for more of the mid to longer ranges. 100-800 yard use.

What will works for you, what you will need?
May God Bless America in these times of recovery.

For Evil to Prevail, it needs only for Good Men to do Nothing!
By Edmund Burke

JJMF2112
Serious Gun Trader
City: N. Spokane
Favorite Firearm: LaRue SBR 556
Next Firearm: Noveske 300 blkout

Post by JJMF2112 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:49 am

I have a Bushenll elite 3.5x21x50 with a Horus reticle in a LaRue mount. It's amazing! You can take the mount on and off and the scope stays zeroed in! Worth every penny!

Godspyro
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: fire stick
Next Firearm: Bible

Post by Godspyro » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:51 pm

I have narrowed my search down to the burris eliminator iii 3-12 or one of the vortex scopes, I really wish vortex had something with the horus reticle but that's not yet a option.

The eliminator scopes have a lifetime warranty as well although not the no bs warranty that vortex has, the nice thing with the eliminator is that it makes hard long shots almost easy.
Last edited by Godspyro on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prov 6:6 Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise.

RCW 9.41.010
(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

Quotes are stupid. -The Mechanic

Astocks2622
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Howell, MI
Favorite Firearm: Witness Stock 1 10mm
Next Firearm: 338-06 or 35 Whelen

Post by Astocks2622 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:51 am

If you are looking at doing any longer range shooting with it, a front focal plane mil-dot scope is mighty handy. Primary arms makes a 4-14x FFP scope that has pretty decent reviews, & they're not $800... http://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms ... 14xffp.htm
Always looking for 7mm Mauser & 10mm brass.

"A man is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Godspyro
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Godspyro » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:04 pm

Update,
I just ordered a vortex hs lr 2.5-10x32 ffp with the XLR reticle, for a steal but after talking to a buddy also in the market found a trijicon accupower (accupoint that is battery powered instead of dual) so I also ordered a 2.5-10x54 accupower with mildot reticle for not much more then the vortex.
I figure I will test both and send back the loser.

Vortex pros
warranty and customer service -best in the buisness
More compact
Weight 16.8 (vs 26.6oz)
XLR reticle with a grid pattern to allow for corrections like range and windage..
FFP
Warranty is not lost on resale.

Trijicon pros
Reputation of not needing the lifetime warranty.
reputation of better glass.
Reputation of ruggedness
better name if I ever want to sell it.
54mm objective will give better visibility at low light
lit reticle.

Edit,
The Vortex is very limited availability and the normal places like Optics Planet don't even show them
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/769113 ... icle-matte
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... oa-reticle

The Trijicon has a little better availability but Georgia Optics has better prices then Optics Planet
http://georgiaoptics.com/product/trijic ... hair-wled/

Reticle http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/ret ... _moa-t.jpg
Last edited by Godspyro on Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCW 9.41.010
(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

seekers
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by seekers » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:13 pm

Nice to be able to compare them on the rifle you'll actually use them on.
Sounds like you got great deal on them too!

By Edmund Burke

Godspyro
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Godspyro » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:20 pm

I have been looking at both of them today and having guys at work (all shooters) give opinions as well, I really like LOVE the reticle of the Vortex, Really like the FFP and couldn't see any difference in class clarity between the vortex and the Trijicon, I have however decided that I do want a lit reticle and something with a little larger objective then 32mm (although I go back and forth on that one)

In the end I am not keeping either scope, I would keep the Trijicon if I had the reticle from the Vortex and I would have kept the Vortex of it had the lit reticle and a little bigger objective lense.

One of the Guys at work wants the Trigicon but the Vortex is going back (unless someone here wants it since the sale is over.)

RCW 9.41.010

seekers
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by seekers » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:57 pm

You know on my LR scopes I really like the FFP also but on my lower powered scopes I'm kinda liking second focal plane. Being able to utilize the full reticle in all powers. Just be more accurate.
Now I'm talking about strictly low power scopes as I just got a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 for one of my AR-15's and have a Bushnell 1-4 FFP on another. They are both illuminated and when the Bushnell is on 1X it is basically a Red Dot but with the Vortex I still have full use of the reticle. They have very similar reticles btw.
While most second focal plane scopes are accurate at one power setting, the highest, you're shooting at such close range on 1X that I don't see a problem. I don't have a ton of rounds through this yet but am happy with it so far. I put the bushnell on my wife's new AR and bought the vortex for mine.
The Bushnell is mil/mil and the Vortex is moa/moa price was Bush $275 w/mount del, Vortex $350 W/mount del.

good price on scopes here
http://swfa.com/Riflescopes-C1443.aspx

By Edmund Burke

GreyGoose
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Lakeview
Favorite Firearm: All of 'em

Post by GreyGoose » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:30 pm

Consider a fixed power scope, they are simpler and more durable than variable power scopes.

6X for shorter ranges or 10X out to 1000 yds is plenty.

if you are shooting longer ranges use a 20MOA base and get yourself some high quality rings (I like Badger Ordnance).

Get matching turrets and reticle, if its MOA/MOA or MRAD/MRAD.

If you are not a big MOA guy consider a MRAD set up, it is superior.

High end - Schmidt & Bender PM2 ($2Kish) *Arguably the best 10X scope on the planet.
Mid range - US Optics ST-10 ($1500ish) *My favorite, US Optics makes extraordinary, battle worthy optics.
Mid range - IOR Valdada ($800ish) *Excellent, durable optics, adopted by several military's around the world.
Budget - SWFA SS-10 w/side focus ($3-400ish) *A MILSPEC contracted optic for the USN Seals, awesome quality and a great value!

Nothing wrong with Vortex, Leupold, Bushnell, etc. either...

EDIT:
Just saw you bought the vortex, etc., should have read the whole thread before I replied. Enjoy!
"Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again; poor fools. And their grand-children are once more slaves." - D. H. Lawrence