Bravery
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden Lake, Idaho
Favorite Firearm: XDm 10mm
Next Firearm: Sig 229 or Glock 9mm

Looking for advice on lowers

Post by Bravery » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:29 pm

Hello,

I've been on here for a bit but haven''t reached out much. I started getting more into black guns over the last few months and have begun building a couple different AR's as a result of research and budgeting. I'm looking for a local shop that has lowers that aren't going to destroy my wallet. Ya, I get it everyone has to make a buck which I'm fine with but I don't need to spend $300+ on a lower since they're all mil-spec anyway. I'm looking into andersons but alas they're pretty much sold out everywhere I look. AIM and JSE both are out. I want to start this pistol build from the bottom up but having a hard time locating. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Better to remain silent and thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt

Badger
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane, WA
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Looking for advice on lowers

Post by Badger » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:44 pm

I've had very good luck with Palmetto State Armory lowers. Every one of the "blems" that I've seen has been perfect, without any discernible blemishes of any kind whatsoever. Their lowers are the same manufacture as many others selling for twice the price.

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: AAC MPW
Next Firearm: Uzi/MP5/Mac-10

Post by Torakan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:46 pm

After playing with these things for almost 30 yrs there really isn't munch difference between brands. That being said, I prefer a forged aluminum lower over the polymer ones. I'm not sure I really see an advantage of a billet lower over a regular forged one. Most of the reputable retailers in the area will offer a good product for a good price .
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

Haynes and Sons Guns
Local SGT Sponsor
City: Spokane
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: Glock
Next Firearm: Hadron Enforcer

Post by Haynes and Sons Guns » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:35 pm

I have Andersons in Stock, PM or text (509)475-8125 for details.
Thanks,
Haynes and Sons Guns
Haynes and Sons Guns LLC

$35 Transfers- $25 Veterans, First Responders

PLEASE TEXT ONLY!
TEXT- (509)475-8125

We are members of and financially endorse and support:
The National Rifle Association, www.nra.org
The Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org
The Silent Majority Foundation, www.smfjb.org
The Conservative Ladies of Washington, www.conservativeladiesofwa.com

Nievo
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
Favorite Firearm: CZ 75
Next Firearm: AR-50

Post by Nievo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:48 pm

I have and have used lowers from almost a dozen different manufacturers. Anderson are good and I have several, but they do have lapses in QQ from time to time. My favorites are Seekins and Umbrella Corporation. For the price I think Aero is a good go to. Billets aren't worth the price although they look cool. Also, stay away from Polymer, they have a tendency to crack around the buffer tube threads.

I haven't had much luck locally finding a decent price. Andersons you can find online for under $60 and even with shipping and transfer I usually still come in under $75. If you can find something local that isn't a Polymer for under $80 out the door right now I would jump on it.

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Torakan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:27 am

^Throw us a link Nievo! With shipping running about $9 and transfers costing $20, that's about $45 a lower. That's an incredible price!
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

Nievo
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Nievo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:02 pm

$54.99 each. Shipping was a flat $19.95 for 4 of them and my transfer only cost $30 for all 4. Key is to buy more then one or combine with other purchases. Or to go in with a couple friends to save shipping.

http://www.webyshops.com/brand/Anderson ... LWFOR.html

Haynes and Sons Guns
Local SGT Sponsor
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: Glock
Next Firearm: Hadron Enforcer

Post by Haynes and Sons Guns » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:50 pm

Those are back ordered approx 3-4 weeks, and you have to order 4 to get them for $67.5 shipped plus tax and if you are buying from a retailer your ffl should be charging tax. I have them in stock for $75 and tax, buy more than 1 and i'll knock $5 off the total. Take one home tonight, no shipping, no transfer fee.
Haynes and Sons Guns LLC

$35 Transfers- $25 Veterans, First Responders

PLEASE TEXT ONLY!
TEXT- (509)475-8125

We are members of and financially endorse and support:
The National Rifle Association, www.nra.org
The Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org
The Silent Majority Foundation, www.smfjb.org
The Conservative Ladies of Washington, www.conservativeladiesofwa.com

Nievo
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Nievo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:30 am

Haynes and Sons Guns wrote:Those are back ordered approx 3-4 weeks, and you have to order 4 to get them for $67.5 shipped plus tax and if you are buying from a retailer your ffl should be charging tax. I have them in stock for $75 and tax, buy more than 1 and i'll knock $5 off the total. Take one home tonight, no shipping, no transfer fee.
$75 + tax isn't a horrible price locally.

Lol.....at paying tax for a FFL transfer.

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Torakan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:55 am

Haynes and Sons Guns wrote:Those are back ordered approx 3-4 weeks, and you have to order 4 to get them for $67.5 shipped plus tax and if you are buying from a retailer your ffl should be charging tax. I have them in stock for $75 and tax, buy more than 1 and i'll knock $5 off the total. Take one home tonight, no shipping, no transfer fee.
Sounds like the best deal so far! $75 +$6.53 sales tax is $81.53 out the door right?
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 am

Nievo wrote:

If the FFL transfer is from a dealer they charge tax. If it is private party then there is no tax charged.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

toddSpokane
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: Glock 50
Next Firearm: Glock 51

Post by toddSpokane » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:25 pm

Just to clarify, milspec needs nothing. It is used by everyone. A LMT, colt, or bravo company will work after heating up due to extended firing. An Anderson, dpms, etc. Will not. They may all look the same sitting in a store, but they function differently in the real world. You get what you pay for in the AR market.
I am looking for:

S&W 657 4"
S&W 63 4"
Glock 29SF or 29 upper
And ground squirrels or marmots

Nievo
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Nievo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:38 pm

toddSpokane wrote:Just to clarify, milspec needs nothing. It is used by everyone. A LMT, colt, or bravo company will work after heating up due to extended firing. An Anderson, dpms, etc. Will not. They may all look the same sitting in a store, but they function differently in the real world. You get what you pay for in the AR market.
Are you kidding me? Show me the tests to back that up. If the lower heats up that much and malfunctions due to extended firing then you assembled something wrong.

Nievo
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Nievo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:42 pm

thumpar wrote:
Nievo wrote:

If the FFL transfer is from a dealer they charge tax. If it is private party then there is no tax charged.
You might be correct on that, I have only transferred through private FFL's.

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Torakan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:55 pm

toddSpokane wrote:Just to clarify, milspec needs nothing. It is used by everyone. A LMT, colt, or bravo company will work after heating up due to extended firing. An Anderson, dpms, etc. Will not. They may all look the same sitting in a store, but they function differently in the real world. You get what you pay for in the AR market.
Ummm, no.

I have shot many thousands of rounds thru issue M16's and M-4's and never had a lower heat up enough to make it to hot to touch. A lower heating up enough to cause a malfunction is a non issue and indicates you don't really understand the weapon system. Also, My AR's using DPMS, Superior, Aero, and Oly lowers function just as well as my 3 Colt AR's firing a normal semi auto rate of fire. By the way, you do know what MILSPEC means right? By definition if a lower isn't configured and milled for selective fire it cant be MILSPEC so unless the lower is a M16 or M4 lower it cant really be MILSPEC.
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

Bravery
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden Lake, Idaho
Favorite Firearm: XDm 10mm
Next Firearm: Sig 229 or Glock 9mm

Post by Bravery » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:33 pm

Torakan wrote:
Ummm, no.

I have shot many thousands of rounds thru issue M16's and M-4's and never had a lower heat up enough to make it to hot to touch. A lower heating up enough to cause a malfunction is a non issue and indicates you don't really understand the weapon system. Also, My AR's using DPMS, Superior, Aero, and Oly lowers function just as well as my 3 Colt AR's firing a normal semi auto rate of fire. By the way, you do know what MILSPEC means right? By definition if a lower isn't configured and milled for selective fire it cant be MILSPEC so unless the lower is a M16 or M4 lower it cant really be MILSPEC.
By definition that's also incorrect. At least in my industry mil-spec means whatever part I'm dealing with has been made to the specifications/tolerances put forth by the DOD for interchangeability. However in ARs I would assume that it means it has been made to be within the same manufacturing tolerances as an m16 or an m4not necessarily meaning the type or function of that specific part.
Better to remain silent and thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:06 pm

Bravey wrote:
Torakan wrote:
Ummm, no.

By definition that's also incorrect. At least in my industry mil-spec means whatever part I'm dealing with has been made to the specifications/tolerances put forth by the DOD for interchangeability. However in ARs I would assume that it means it has been made to be within the same manufacturing tolerances as an m16 or an m4not necessarily meaning the type or function of that specific part.
But it is missing a hole.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

Airon
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Deer Park

Post by Airon » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:56 pm

Nievo wrote:
Are you kidding me? Show me the tests to back that up. If the lower heats up that much and malfunctions due to extended firing then you assembled something wrong.
It's true. LMT, Colt, and BCM forge their lowers in the heart of a dying star making them far superior to all other aluminum.

Straight Shooter
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Norman
State: Oklahoma

Post by Straight Shooter » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:55 pm

Respectfully, I'm very interested in hearing/seeing the facts/data that back up this statement.
USAF Retired
OEF/OIF Veteran

Nievo
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Nievo » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:32 pm

Airon wrote:
Nievo wrote:
It's true. LMT, Colt, and BCM forge their lowers in the heart of a dying star making them far superior to all other aluminum.
Lol.....sorry, forgot about their super unobtanium-aluminum makeup.