rem300ultra
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Coeur d alene
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: 300 Ultra
Next Firearm: Not sure yet

Recommendations for new build

Post by rem300ultra » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:56 am

Not looking to start a heated debate as I know everyone has their opinions. Just looking for some hands on experience for which at parts to start with to build a hyper accurate rifle. Yes I'm aware many rifles will outshoot the shooter, however I have a great deal of experience and would like to build a rifle capable of 1/2 mos or better. Looking for best receivers, barrels etc. perhaps maybe finding one already built by someone or a company is a more cost effective way to go. Let's keep a real world budget in mind not a total dream gun. Also I prefer someone who has used these parts or guns not what they read in advertisements or heard what somebody told somebody.
Thanks for any input

Cameron Kaputa
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Harrington
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: AR-15 pistols
Next Firearm: ???

Re: Recommendations for new build

Post by Cameron Kaputa » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:54 am

Build a 6.8 SPC rifle or pistol with an AR Performance barrel. I have a few. It's a nice step up from 5.56/.223 for hunting.
Cameron

rem300ultra
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by rem300ultra » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:54 pm

I've looked into that caliber a little bit. I also checked out the 6.5 Grendel for the step up in ballistics. Any experience with it?

Cameron Kaputa
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Harrington
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: AR-15 pistols
Next Firearm: ???

Post by Cameron Kaputa » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:03 pm

Not with the Grendel.
Cameron

garand
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by garand » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:39 pm

rem300ultra wrote:I've looked into that caliber a little bit. I also checked out the 6.5 Grendel for the step up in ballistics. Any experience with it?

You will have a very limited selection of ammo for the 6.5 Grendel. The 6.8 SPC has a larger selection of factory ammo available from a greater number of manufacturers. The 300 Blackout has an even larger selection but it is not a long range cartridge. I have experience with the 6.8 and 300 BO and they are both quite deadly on deer.

rem300ultra
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by rem300ultra » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:44 pm

I have experience with BO and personally hate it, nut that is just my preference. I'm not particularly worried about factory ammo as I reload everything I shoot. However I have no problem taking another look at 6.8. I do still need to build the gun first and foremost.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:59 pm

rem300ultra wrote:I've looked into that caliber a little bit. I also checked out the 6.5 Grendel for the step up in ballistics. Any experience with it?
Generally the .5 Grendel has the better reputation for accuracy compared to the 6.8 (which is a .270) and the projectiles have a little better sectional density and ballistic coefficient for better performance at longer ranges. The reason for this is that a 6.8 120 grain projectile simply does not have have as good SD and BC as a 6.5 projectile of the same weight, and this is why the most popular weight for the 6.8 is 115 grains. The result is a projectile weight advantage for the 6.5.

Also there are probably a great many more 6.5 projectiles available than there are in .270/6.8 caliber owing to the popularity of both the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.5 Creedmoor. You might want to check out the 6.5 Grendel forum.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

SnowMan
Serious Gun Trader
City: Spokane

Post by SnowMan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:44 am

Might want to check out Colt Competition. When it came to accuracy I never compared AR's in the same arena as my bolt guns (thats still up for debate...lol). But I picked up a rifle from Colt Competition and it changed my perspective. It came with 18" barrel w Wylde chamber, adjustable gas block and compensator/brake. It came with a .4 something test target shot with factory ammo at 100yds by a human off sandbags. The thing has virtually no recoil and shoots lights out.

257ROBERT
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Elk
Favorite Firearm: Model 70 Featherweig
Next Firearm: Undecided
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by 257ROBERT » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Rick at Firearm Finishing could be an excellent start. 509 487 4145. Norm, you did not state caliber but I think a 223 could easily be a 600 yd gun, and a 308 further yet. For a thinner barrel profile Chuck at Cryo Cold could help with any accuracy at 8 bucks /lb. Hope this helps.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right".

DO NOT DRINK AND TYPE! It never ends well.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:40 pm

257ROBERT wrote:Rick at Firearm Finishing could be an excellent start. 509 487 4145. Norm, you did not state caliber but I think a 223 could easily be a 600 yd gun, and a 308 further yet. For a thinner barrel profile Chuck at Cryo Cold could help with any accuracy at 8 bucks /lb. Hope this helps.
Agree with all of the above but it's important to know that for a 223 to be a 600 yard gun that means heavy-for-caliber bullets and a slow rifling twist. That's the beauty of the 6.5 Grendel. it's good past 600 yards and can be built on the same ar-15 platform as a 223.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.