SGT Premium Supporter
City: DEER PARK
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: bergara 308
Next Firearm: 50 beo
SGT Supporter: Yes

Quit talking bad about garage built ar15s

Post by ruger338 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:51 am

Some of you guys keep saying in your posts that your store bought ar15 is soooo much better an that it will always work and never fail cause it came from a store if you know what your doing and your using good parts home builds can be and will be just as reliable an more accurate than a store bought ar15 I'm only posting this cause I've never had a complaint about any of my builds but than I read on some of these posts about how it's not a home build so it will work or how you want an ar15 but not a home build so I ask you all to leave comments out of your posts when your selling

Cameron Kaputa
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Harrington
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: AR-15 pistols
Next Firearm: ???

Re: Quit talking bad about garage built ar15s

Post by Cameron Kaputa » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:31 pm

My home built AR's are just as good as a factory/store build, maybe better because it has the parts on it that I want on it. But sadly, I have no garage but I did have a kitchen table FFL back in the 90's.
Cameron

krob59
SGT Premium Supporter
City: s

Post by krob59 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:42 pm

There is only 1 way to Prove your garage "ASSEMBLED" rifle is just as good.
I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
--Clint Eastwood

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.
--Steve Prefontaine

Wingnut93
SGT Premium Supporter
City: S Valley

Post by Wingnut93 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Last edited by Wingnut93 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Post by ghillieinthemist » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Um...Id put my "garage assembled AR against an factory AR out there. I spared no expense on my latest build and it. is. sick. I'll never be able to sell it for what I have in it and that was kind of the point when I started. GO APESH!T. Be excellent to each other.
Do or do not there is no try.

Mikesbikes
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Medical Lake
Favorite Firearm: MK25
Next Firearm: Scary Black Gun

Post by Mikesbikes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:50 am

I agree with the OP. It's a common respect of this forum to "not talk bad" about other guns I.E prices opinion etc. Classified adds are to sell your item, period. I would expect the admin to remove a post like that. The discussion boards are for your opinions. That being said I am a machinist and know a thing or two about precision, I would rather machine my own lower and assemble it with the parts that I can measure before assembling rather then buying a inexpensive AR off the shelf. "Garage built" guns are only as good as the garage they come out of. But back on subject keep your opinions to yourself, if you don't assemble your own weapons you have no valid argument as to why your off of the shelf AR is better. And this is a forum about guns not grammar school.
Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind and start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s the way baseball is. - Bullet Bob Feller

Papa John
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: Python
Next Firearm: More Pythons

Post by Papa John » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:01 am

You gotta laugh........it's an "assembly" not a build.
Do I get a warranty with that "custom assembly?"......I don't think so.
Just my 2c.

Mikesbikes
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Medical Lake
Favorite Firearm: MK25
Next Firearm: Scary Black Gun

Post by Mikesbikes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:19 am

Have fun waiting for your gun to be returned for warranty repair. Learn the basics of the AR platform and when repairs are need use it as an opportunity to do upgrades. I would never send a rifle in to be repaired under warranty, to be repaired with the same parts that failed the first time. Off the shelf buyers wolnt get it and that's ok, more fun for those of us that like to get our hands dirty.
Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind and start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s the way baseball is. - Bullet Bob Feller

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: AAC MPW
Next Firearm: Uzi/MP5/Mac-10

Post by Torakan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Not sure where I have ever seen anyone write that a self assembled rifle was inferior. That said, I have an AAC MPX factory assembled rifle in 300 BO that is superior to any of the name brand rifles available, and I couldn't have bought the individual components for what I paid for that rifle. I have rifles I assembled and factory rifles. All work just fine and perform to the level of their components.
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

krob59
SGT Premium Supporter
City: s

Post by krob59 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:37 pm

Why is the link to the video locked? How many times has this topic been argued? Why do you care what is in somebody's sale add, did they talk about your personnel rifle or something you are selling, or you personally?

If a rifle goes bang or shoots a tight group does it mean it will survive 50,000+ rounds under less than perfect conditions? Not all ARs are built the same, just being a factory rifle doesn't make it better or more reliable but it might help resale. I'm sure most guys assemble or some think they assembled a rifle that is "just as good" as any factory rifle and some probably do, but without the time and conditions to truly test it how do you really know or make that claim???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3cQzlprUnE
Last edited by krob59 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
--Clint Eastwood

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.
--Steve Prefontaine

Masonryman
Senior Pro Gun Trader
City: Benewah Valley
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: FiveseveN

Post by Masonryman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:46 pm

krob59 wrote:Why is the link locked?
Its not locked.

MM
You can ignore reality... but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Airon
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Deer Park

Post by Airon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:23 pm

Factory rifles are more desirable for resale value, ease of resale (most LGS don't want home builds), and warranty reasons.

That being said, as someone who likes to put together rifles, I would never look negatively at a home built rifle, but I wouldn't look at it as a whole rifle. I would look at it as a collection of used parts and value it accordingly.

As as reliability, correctly assembled rifles are as reliable or more so than factory with comparable parts, but I would never take someone's word for it, and i wouldn't expect anyone to take mine. I would always go through the whole thing myself. That's the point of these things.

257ROBERT
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Elk
Favorite Firearm: Model 70 Featherweig
Next Firearm: Undecided

Post by 257ROBERT » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:44 pm

I think the same argument can be made for ammunition. I have seen more problems with factory ammo than with handloads. That being said, I like most people will not shoot handloads unless I know the loader and their habits, can see the provenance of the load and compare to a manual,or have loaded them myself. The only quality control that a builder has is his knowledge and ability where a factory has more built in measures. That, also being said, I have several rifles that I believe are far superior to factory rifles because of the builder (not me) the quality parts that were hand picked and improved and the fitting and skill of the assembler. Like handloads AR builds are only as good as the person who is building whichever. If you the know the provenance of your components and the assembly you can make an informed decision. Perhaps many think that reading reviews and testimonials backs up their ideas, but I believe the finished product from a quality individual is like the difference between a tract home and a custom built home where attention to detail can be easily observed to a novice.
Last edited by 257ROBERT on Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right".

DO NOT DRINK AND TYPE! It never ends well.

upnorth
Gun Trader
City: COLVILLE
Favorite Firearm: Love them all same
Next Firearm: Hk p7

Post by upnorth » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:54 pm

Just like 257 said. Ammo made by me is more reliable because I made it. Same with guns. A child can put an AR together. It's not some gun smith only sort of thing. People are selling themselves short by buying a built gun but if it doesn't matter to the buyer who cares. It's not as daunting as people think. I only build rifles for one purpose and that's for 4 legged predators. I don't want a gun for barrel rolls at the gravel pit.

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Post by ghillieinthemist » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:11 pm

Papa John wrote:You gotta laugh........it's an "assembly" not a build.
Do I get a warranty with that "custom assembly?"......I don't think so.
Just my 2c.
I find it funny that people who build houses don't say "assemble houses" because they don't make the wood, they don't make the nails, they don't make the pipes, they don't make the concrete or the glass. but they do build houses they way they want their particular house built. 3 beds 3000 Sq feet with a 3 car garage off the back. They must just assemble them? hmmm weird.

BUILD

VERB

1.construct (something, typically something large) by putting parts or material together over a period of time:

"the factory was built in 1936"

synonyms: construct · erect · put up · assemble · make · form · create · fashion ·
[more]

I hope this clears up what the word build means.
Do or do not there is no try.

wrfforgotten
City: North Spokane
Favorite Firearm: TIKKA T3X
Next Firearm: Type-2 Phaser

Post by wrfforgotten » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:09 am

I agree. Unless you are forging and/or milling out parts, which now days is used only unless you cannot get old stock parts for a fix. You are building yourself a custom firearm. From a Remington 700 to an AR-15 or such.

ruger338
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ruger338 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Wow... looks like most of you agree with me and sorry for the lacking of punctuation
I was unaware I was writing for English class lol I don't use a pc I use my phone and that's it and it's hard to type nicely on my little screen

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.

Post by thumpar » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:58 pm

ruger338 wrote:Wow... looks like most of you agree with me and sorry for the lacking of punctuation
I was unaware I was writing for English class lol I don't use a pc I use my phone and that's it and it's hard to type nicely on my little screen
Hit space twice and it will put in a period and automatically capitalize the first letter of the next sentence.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

ruger338
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ruger338 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Had no clue that worked